Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-01-2014, 04:01 PM   #1
Oddvious

Drives: 2013 ZL1
AAC Reverse lights BIG MISTAKE!!

So I never like to complain publicly and do all I can to resolve it off forums first but I've had enough. I am stumped and now the Car has to see the dealer on tuesday just wanted to know if anyone has seen an issue like this before.

I'll keep it short lol
I bought the Reverse LED's from JDP they came in quick no complaints.
I taped em all up and tinted them simple and done 1,000 sets of lights to date (I own a Spray booth and Paint) never had any issues like I'm going to list below.

Install was simple matched left up with the left and plugged em all in tested them nothing worked Humm.

Checked all connections flipped the drivers side plug over and the drivers side worked still no passenger side flipped the passenger side plug over nothing. Took the passenger side out and inspected it took out the plug by twisting it and saw one pin pushed all the way in. I pushed the plug back in the hole of the plug and put it back in the car and it would not fit inside the OEM wire harness. Took both wires out of the plug and placed them right inside the OEM harness and nothing still flipped wires figuring the polarity like the drivers side was off and nothing. I let them be and decided one side working was good enough until I got the OEM ones tinted and back in.

Now the fun part I was driving and the Rear view camera came on I pulled over and parked it threw it in reverse thinking something stuck nothing. I bring it to the dealer and 10 codes from reverse light, plate lights, Rear view camera and battery connection WOW great.

Well fast forward to today the camera has been on full time for 3 weeks (not a daily driver may be 20-30 miles a week) I finally get the OEM ones back in today guess what the reverse are on full time now and rear view camera still on full time Great.

I go back to the dealer to see what codes are their and all the same codes they clear them all and the reverse light code comes back on.

Has anyone had anything like this happen or have a clue as to what's going on?

I'm scheduled for a service on Tuesday what a big headache! All because I tinted them before testing them AAC is not warranting them so not only do I have some issues I'm out cash. I learned two lessons here never buy AAC cheap crap and Test anything you buy from them before you use it if you do. I mean who would have know 150.00 set of lights should have been tested first every other electrical part I've purchased in the past 10 years from LED's to HID to tail lights have all been great out of the box even some cheap stuff off Alibaba LOL Guess I've been lucky I've never had a major fail like this.
Oddvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
That's crazy man. Hope you get it figured out and keep us posted.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:46 PM   #3
Blue17CamaroZL1
650HP soon to come

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1
I bought a set of the AAC reverse lights for my Camaro. They worked great for all of about 2 weeks. I went to a meet in PA in June of 2013 and someone noticed one of my reverse lights was completely out. Not just one LED but the whole side.

So I called up my buddy and explained to him about the lights. I went over his house and we opened up the housings to reveal a very cheaply put together unit. The internal circuitry was so poor, everything was loose. I had to apply pressure to the board itself, for the electrical connections to make solid contact.

Here is the inside LED board to an AAC reverse light:

The quality of this board looks like it came out of an illegal sweatshop somewhere. So I had my buddy build for me, my own custom LED reverse lights:

We reused the AAC housing since it has the little posts to mount the LED board to:

Another lie they claim, is that their LEDs sit right up against the housing, That's false. As you can see here, the front clear plastic piece has these 4 little circles on it, however, two of the diffuser pieces have been removed:

So here is my custom LED light with their junk removed and my custom board installed:

Put the front clear piece back on and tested it:

And finally installed:

Blue17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:23 PM   #4
Oddvious

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR ZL1 View Post
Hope you get it figured out and keep us posted.
You and me both lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue10CamaroSS View Post
I bought a set of the AAC reverse lights for my Camaro. They worked great for all of about 2 weeks. I went to a meet in PA in June of 2013 and someone noticed one of my reverse lights was completely out. Not just one LED but the whole side.

So I called up my buddy and explained to him about the lights. I went over his house and we opened up the housings to reveal a very cheaply put together unit. The internal circuitry was so poor, everything was loose. I had to apply pressure to the board itself, for the electrical connections to make solid contact.

The quality of this board looks like it came out of an illegal sweatshop somewhere. So I had my buddy build for me, my own custom LED reverse lights:

We reused the AAC housing since it has the little posts to mount the LED board to:

Another lie they claim, is that their LEDs sit right up against the housing, That's false. As you can see here, the front clear plastic piece has these 4 little circles on it, however, two of the diffuser pieces have been removed:

So here is my custom LED light with their junk removed and my custom board installed:

And finally installed:
Thanks for that post very interesting and nice fix at this point I'm scared to death to use any led reverse lights any more lol. AAC quality and lack of service is well know I totally rolled the dice hope it don't cost too much
Oddvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:29 PM   #5
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Aren't AAC and Oracle the same outfit? I have the Oracle back-up lights. Had them installed by the body shop when my car was torn apart. they've worked fine since day one--no issues. Mine were ghosted from Oracle and they're still plenty bright.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:18 AM   #6
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue10CamaroSS View Post

And finally installed:
can you also show a picture when the lights off installed?
looks great, better than the AAC for sure. you should just sell them yourself if you could get your hands on some decent brackets, i'd buy a set for the right price lol
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:17 AM   #7
Blue17CamaroZL1
650HP soon to come

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
can you also show a picture when the lights off installed?
looks great, better than the AAC for sure. you should just sell them yourself if you could get your hands on some decent brackets, i'd buy a set for the right price lol
unfortunately, this is the closest one i have with the reverse lights not on

Blue17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote