Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 08-19-2018, 11:26 AM   #1
cdry82

Drives: 2015 Camaro Z/28
Add a Trans temp sensor???

Just curious if anybody had figured out how to read Trans temp on the car?

What kit did you use?
What did you add?
Is there a sensor already that can be used... Etc?

Thanks all!
cdry82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:55 AM   #2
ronchev

Drives: 14' Red Z/28 #336
They say it can't be done with the stock programing... I to would like to do this and have added the 4 pack gauges... yes the sensor and wiring are there in the trans but something to do with the one wire data wire that feeds the 4 pack gauges that has to be programed to read this and Gm left this out on the Z/28 for whatever reason.

This does not mean that you could always add a aftermarket gauge if need be

Anyways following... Not sure if a guy could get in the temp gauge and hardwire around the computer and do the same thing or not......its on my list at some point to look into this more.
ronchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:11 PM   #3
cdry82

See if the link below helps with the sensors that we do and don't have. Maybe somebody could confirm if we have the spot for the trans sensor with a plug in it, or if it was just left out in the casting of the transmission?

I am looking into an Autometer gauge solution that would use the current drain plug as a port to put a trans sensor in. I would think this would work as long as you get the thread sizes right.

If anybody has any incite on how to do this, thread sizes etc. That would be great.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...onnectors.html
Old 08-21-2018, 07:09 PM   #4
69L48Z27

Drives: 2015 Z/28; 1969 Camaro SS
I never knew the Tremecs has temp sensors built in.

If your looking for aftermarket the one thing you can do to on just about any manual trans is replace or tap the drain plug for the sensor probe. Without crawling under the car I wouldn't know of any other place to fit it in.

Are temps a concern on stick cars? I know automatics it's needed for racing and pulling but I don't ever recall seeing and stick shift race cars with trans temp gauges or coolers. Never really thought about it.
69L48Z27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:05 PM   #5
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
I don't have a Z/28, but on my 1SS/LS3 there is a trans temp sensor. I can read it off the OBDII port.
If it is on the OBD port there are many options available to display a readout.
Old 08-21-2018, 08:44 PM   #6
HOJO

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE 1967 Camaro
The SS with the gauge cluster has a trans senor unit in the manual trans.
HOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:20 AM   #7
cdry82

My .02 cents would be that the manuals in our cars should be pretty stable in a track condition. I think you need to keep an eye on heat soak after long track stints, but we should be pretty good in the trans temp world.

This path to trans temp monitoring started when I was at the Woodward Dream Cruise last weekend. Its a huge car show in the Michigan area. I was in stop and go traffic for an hour or so and then started losing clutch feel. It was basically dead in the top couple inches of clutch travel. Very concerning to me. The clutch was biting fine and wasn't stinking like a "burned" clutch does, but it had me concerned.

After driving the car around to let it get some airflow about 50% of the issue was resolved. I then let the car sit for about an hour and it returned to normal.

I wanted to go down the path to see if I could put a sensor into help early diagnose any temp issues that might happen in the future.

Our diagnosis of the problem lies with the clutch fluid its self and not the trans temp. We think that the clutch fluid in the car had some water content and thus lost some of its temp/boiling point capacity. After I got the car home I just the fluid which had an amber tint, its clear normally. Did the ranger method with Dot 4 for 3 or 4 cycles and everything look good after that.

I am going to continue down the path of getting a temp sensor in the trans drain plug with an Autometer gauge. In this instance I don't know that it would have helped with the clutch fluid issue(different systems), but I think keeping an eye on things with the car is easy insurance.

Let me know if anybody has done a drain plug replacement with a temp sensor? it would be nice to know what threads the drain plug has as well. Help me to get the correct adapters.

Thanks All! Hopefully my issues here will help somebody. Love the Forum.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:50 AM   #8
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
The Transmission is cooled by a high-capacity liquid-to-liquid oil cooler system, similar to the Camaro ZL1.

Your issue was without question brake/clutch fluid based
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:03 AM   #9
ronchev

Drives: 14' Red Z/28 #336
Maybe somebody could confirm if we have the spot for the trans sensor with a plug in it, or if it was just left out in the casting of the transmission?

Yes these cars come with the sensor in the trans and with all wiring from the factory but just not programmed......not sure on the sensor thread size tho
ronchev is offline   Reply With Quote