Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 11-24-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
Autobot
More than meets the eye

Drives: 2SS RS M6 06 Jetta TDI 17 Civic EXL
Question 4th to 3rd by mistake at high speed

has any one been speed shifting and accidentally hit 3dr when aiming for 5th?

I have the 2SS 6M

rolling start from 1st

hammered it, shifting before 5500 (break-in says not to go over 6000) anyway made it to 4th keeping it under 5500 at each shift and when shifting 4th to 5th hit third again!

Wholly molly scared the you know what out of me I bet it pegged to 7500 before I could disengage.

Seems to be ok but wonder if I hurt it?

Last edited by Autobot; 11-24-2009 at 06:13 PM.
Autobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
nemosgt

Drives: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
Send a message via ICQ to nemosgt
Why are you speed shifting 4th to 5th? You should be through the quarter mile by then. There is a spring that keeps the gear shift lever in the middle gears. From 1st to second you are holding the lever to the left against the spring. Second to third the spring centers the lever and you get 3rd. For 4th you pull straight back and springs keep the lever centered. To get 5th requires a pause in neutral while you move the shifter to the right to overcome the spring, then up to 5th. For 6th, you keep the lever right to overcome the spring as you pull down. I am assuming a standard shift pattern on the Camaro. But you get the idea. The lever just naturally wants to go to third.

On most cars, the rev-limiter will not save the engine if you get the wrong gear at high RPMs. The limiter likes to see the revs coming so it can prepare to restrict timing or fuel flow or whatever it does. It doesn't protect you if it sees 7500 RPM all at once.

Maybe you should stop doing it.
I never speed shift, so hopefully others who do can offer better advice if you wish to continue.

Cheers.
nemosgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
Partick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemosgt View Post
Why are you speed shifting 4th to 5th? You should be through the quarter mile by then. There is a spring that keeps the gear shift lever in the middle gears. From 1st to second you are holding the lever to the left against the spring. Second to third the spring centers the lever and you get 3rd. For 4th you pull straight back and springs keep the lever centered. To get 5th requires a pause in neutral while you move the shifter to the right to overcome the spring, then up to 5th. For 6th, you keep the lever right to overcome the spring as you pull down. I am assuming a standard shift pattern on the Camaro. But you get the idea. The lever just naturally wants to go to third.

On most cars, the rev-limiter will not save the engine if you get the wrong gear at high RPMs. The limiter likes to see the revs coming so it can prepare to restrict timing or fuel flow or whatever it does. It doesn't protect you if it sees 7500 RPM all at once.

I never speed shift, so hopefully others who do can offer better advice if you wish to continue.

Cheers.
Probably wasn't on the strip, I have a couple of very nice back roads where I can wind it up into 5th and I have been afraid of doing the same thing. Haven't yet knock on wood...
Partick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:29 PM   #4
coolman

Anybody that tells you they never missed a gear in a manual is lying. I've done it a couple of times. If it didn't break anything right away I wouldn't worrry about it.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:44 PM   #5
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
just tell me you whent with it and floordit.I to have done that .
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
lawdogg149

Drives: Corvette ZO6 CSR edition #47
I had the same problem a few times as well. Its the shifter I tell you. I replaced it after the third missed gear. MTI racing makes a great one. Never missed a gear since.
lawdogg149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:16 PM   #7
Autobot
More than meets the eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemosgt View Post

Cheers.
Yeah kind of new to speed shifting.
I thought as much that 4th should be the last shift
Where 5th and 6th is just for cruising.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:17 PM   #8
Autobot
More than meets the eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogg149 View Post
I had the same problem a few times as well. Its the shifter I tell you. I replaced it after the third missed gear. MTI racing makes a great one. Never missed a gear since.
Ordering one tomorrow.

I did want a Hurst but heard this MTI shifter is smooth like butter and a lot quieter than the Hurst plus it does not cost as much.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:21 PM   #9
Autobot
More than meets the eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy 3 View Post
just tell me you whent with it and floordit.I to have done that .
I just clutched and got it into 5th and I was doing so good up to that point then did I jut peg that tachometer.
scared the tee tee out of me
Old 11-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #10
Autobot
More than meets the eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partick View Post
Probably wasn't on the strip, I have a couple of very nice back roads where I can wind it up into 5th and I have been afraid of doing the same thing. Haven't yet knock on wood...
Old 11-24-2009, 08:33 PM   #11
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
Anybody that tells you they never missed a gear in a manual is lying. I've done it a couple of times. If it didn't break anything right away I wouldn't worrry about it.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:34 PM   #12
Autobot
More than meets the eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
Thanks it seems to be ok,
I just wont miss it again or just stop at 4th.
But up to that point shifting even at 5500 what a rush the car will flat out fly, and the torque is whoa.
I can see how horse power can become addicting.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:36 PM   #13
orange10s.c.

Drives: IOM 2SS RS M6 sunroof
Put in a MGW shifter and you wont have that problem again !!!!!!
orange10s.c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #14
nemosgt

Drives: 2006 Ford Mustang GT
Send a message via ICQ to nemosgt
The problem with speed shifting is that you are using a death grip on the shifter and ramming it where you think it should go bypassing the spring protection and any feel you might have. May work for straight ahead drag racing, but on a road course where there are various side loadings that could affect your hand movements, it is a no-no. Unless you are drag racing, use a light grip and just guide the gear lever into the desired position. Your transmission will certainly last longer. Not necessary to beat on our cars to enjoy them.

Advice from an old fogey, eh.
Sorry about that. Feel free to ignore the above, which I am sure you will.

Cheers.
nemosgt is offline   Reply With Quote