Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-10-2022, 01:48 AM   #1
Twan

Drives: SS
2010 Camaro ss l99 *need help*

Been having a really strange issue with my camaro when at lower speeds/idling
To start off I have k&n Intake, longtube headers, ported throttle body, and a dyno tune with a ghost cam. I daily drove it until one day I was heading to work and the car died in drive and started to power back on and I didn’t want to risk driving on the highway (separate issue) and I have about 109k miles on it

The issue I’ve been having for months now and have went to 3 separate dealerships and they all told me my car was good but every time this problem would keep reoccurring
The issue I’m having is I’ll be in line at a drive thru and all of a sudden the car gets really loud like louder then usual it’s already prettt loud and their will be a vibration throughout the whole car and after a few minutes will go back to normal sound and it’s very hard to replicate or explain this to a dealership because they all are so busy look at it for two seconds and say it’s fine and this happens almost every time I drive it but if I don’t drive it long enough it won’t happen. The dealership has tested the fans without the car on and said they were fine another guy told me to try getting radiator brushing because he noticed my radiator was loose but like that’s why I took it to them to fix it for me not tell me what they think it could be (frustrating) and another thing I noticed is the oil temp gauge will drop to 0 then pop back to the middle after it fixes itself after a few minutes not sure if it does this every time or not. I really love this car and don’t want to part ways with it but I’m stumped if anyone knows of a good mechanic here in Colorado please let me know.

Recap: problem #1 - low speeds/idling the car gets very loud and starts vibrating and when it stops I can feel that loud sound/vibration go away like almost in my feet and it will go away after 5 minutes
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0dcT..._Jewish_Health
Here’s a small video I found that I got in traffic can’t really hear much but this is what the gauges looked like while it occurred

Problem #2 - car died in drive and started to instantly power back on I was able to put it back in park and restart it ( I have not taken it to the dealership yet for this problem)
Side note: My intake filter is very dirty would this cause the car to shut down like that?
No check engine light either

Any help is much appreciated thank you! I’m going to try to get a video of the loud sound whenever I have time this weekend
- Antonio

Last edited by Twan; 05-10-2022 at 02:00 AM.
Twan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 01:49 AM   #2
Twan

The problem also occurs when I’m in traffic or go for a long drive stop at a store and then start the car up and the problem will be there and then once again go away
Old 05-10-2022, 02:07 AM   #3
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
I'm no expert on a ghost cam but I think that could be an issue. I would have it removed and go from there. Just my opinion.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 08:57 AM   #4
Badfinger

Drives: 2010 2SS
^^^^^^^^ THIS
Badfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:39 AM   #5
Twan

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
I'm no expert on a ghost cam but I think that could be an issue. I would have it removed and go from there. Just my opinion.
The ghost cam only activates when I’m in park sorry forgot to mention that and I got my tune in 2018
Old 05-10-2022, 12:29 PM   #6
SaReNi

Drives: 2012 SS
I don't know about camaro ghost cam tunes, but back in the era of the 2005-09 or maybe even to 2014, ghost cams were popular with the mustang crowd and I had a friend that was thinking about it for his car. I had read about possible engine damage as a result of those tunes. I think it had something to do with the variable cam timing, but I am not sure on that. I would take the car to stock and just try it and see if it changes anything. you can always put the tune back.
Old 06-22-2022, 10:24 PM   #7
ZOOMSS

Drives: 2010 Red Jewel 2SS/RS
I would bet money your problem is the ghost cam tune, ghost cam tunes work by lowering the engine idle speed so that it idles rough to mimic the sound of a more aggressive cam, and when it is idling that low it will struggle to stay running, and a small dip in RPM will be just enough to make it die the way you are describing.
Old 06-24-2022, 12:16 AM   #8
Twan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOOMSS View Post
I would bet money your problem is the ghost cam tune, ghost cam tunes work by lowering the engine idle speed so that it idles rough to mimic the sound of a more aggressive cam, and when it is idling that low it will struggle to stay running, and a small dip in RPM will be just enough to make it die the way you are describing.
It actually was my fans lol when the high speed setting kicked in it would cause that vibration then the car would cool down and the high speed would turn off and I took it to 3 different dealerships and they couldn’t figure that out lol