Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-24-2018, 08:41 AM   #29
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
I think we need to wait and see how deep under 7min the ZR1 will go (it will ABSOLUTELY be under 7min, probably under 6:50) before we get our hopes up about a sub 7 Camaro. Would an LT5 powered ZL1 1LE with Carbon Ceramic brakes be able to break the 7min mark? Definitely, but would Chevy put the LT5 in the Camaro is the big question there.... I think a more interesting option and maybe even more likely is a stripped out, 600ish HP Camaro with DSSVs and way more Aero that weighs around 200lbs less than a ZL1 1LE (even lighter if possible but that may be stretching the realm of possibility).

For the ZR1 Chevy took the more power + more Aero route, with the downside of some gained weight. I think the less weight + more Aero approach with slightly less power could get similar results with the Camaro.
First, I don't expect a single engine change for the current 6th Gen ZL1. It's not on the table. It could very easily be moved into the lineup for the 7th gen, but not the current lineup.

Additionally, I don't think there is much you could do to improve the Ring time of the ZL1-1LE. Sure, you could probably steal a few more seconds, but I can legitimately say, I don't think you can crack the 7 min mark with the car as it stands. I also don't think more power is going to help either.

I do think some weight shaving will help...but again, I'm expecting a 7:05-7:06 time at best
Old 01-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #30
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I don’t buy a 5.5 L n/a small block that can make 700 hp. Look at how much Ford struggled just to get 526, with the 5.2.

There is no engine for the Z/28 and there won’t be. That was set when Corvette decided to go supercharged with everything.
Last time GM made a dedicated engine for the RPO was 1969. In 70, you could get an LT1 in either vette or camaro, the vette always had/has slightly more power. LS6,LT4, and probably an LT5 now IMO. Light weight is important at the ring, but there are miles of straights and that's where a high 6 is gonna happen. I'm a traditionalist,would love to see a high revving NA DSSV CCB track Z, we'll prolly get two out of those three. Not bad considering we are at end of the line relative to these cool types of cars, never thought i'd see it this late in the game.
LateBrakeU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:50 AM   #31
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I don’t buy a 5.5 L n/a small block that can make 700 hp. Look at how much Ford struggled just to get 526, with the 5.2.

There is no engine for the Z/28 and there won’t be. That was set when Corvette decided to go supercharged with everything.
I know it isn't a 5.5L motor, but there have been plenty of the 6.2L LS3/LSX blocks pushing 600hp N/A.... so while it isn't a true apples to apples comparison, I could see it happening...
Old 01-24-2018, 10:03 AM   #32
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Hate to say it but some of use think its more power only, its not only power if it where dodge will be doing sub 6:30 at the ring, LOL your going to see a 4 valve per 4 cam and rev to or past 8K
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #33
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
I know it isn't a 5.5L motor, but there have been plenty of the 6.2L LS3/LSX blocks pushing 600hp N/A.... so while it isn't a true apples to apples comparison, I could see it happening...
Yeah but those engines don't have to pass emissions /reliability testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Hate to say it but some of use think its more power only, its not only power if it where dodge will be doing sub 6:30 at the ring, LOL your going to see a 4 valve per 4 cam and rev to or past 8K
If that's the case why did they not go that route for the Corvette? Why instead of using light weight materials, shedding weight did they not give the Corvette an engine that revved to the moon to make the ultimate Corvette that way?
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:20 AM   #34
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:

I think it's possible to see 600+hp from a Dual Injected, high revving new LT, Probably somewhere in the 5.5-6.5L area.

Or you can just pull the LT4 out of your ZL1 1LE (and sell it) and replace it with Katech's 427 Street Attack that's good for 700HP! lol
Old 01-24-2018, 11:25 AM   #35
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Yeah but those engines don't have to pass emissions /reliability testing

If that's the case why did they not go that route for the Corvette? Why instead of using light weight materials, shedding weight did they not give the Corvette an engine that revved to the moon to make the ultimate Corvette that way?
Here is why the C7 platform only had 1-2 years left in the run, the new C8 is coming to life soon, and that has the new LT7 2TT motor in the top end of the new C8, there is a LT* coming out and it will be the low end motor in the C8.

For the camaro (Z/28 we Hope) there going with the motor that was said before, any way that is what we see as the way they need to go, so they can transfer to the Gen7 camaro in 2021+ or -1 year.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:29 AM   #36
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
I think it's possible to see 600+hp from a Dual Injected, high revving new LT, Probably somewhere in the 5.5-6.5L area.

Or you can just pull the LT4 out of your ZL1 1LE (and sell it) and replace it with Katech's 427 Street Attack that's good for 700HP! lol
Why, i don't want that 7.0lt i want the SB4 that IMO is the top dog in the 7.0L, and its all ways cheaper to buy it if GM offers it, if they dont i have plans of what to do.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:40 AM   #37
shaffe

Quote:
Here is why the C7 platform only had 1-2 years left in the run, the new C8 is coming to life soon, and that has the new LT7 2TT motor in the top end of the new C8, there is a LT* coming out and it will be the low end motor in the C8.

For the camaro (Z/28 we Hope) there going with the motor that was said before, any way that is what we see as the way they need to go, so they can transfer to the Gen7 camaro in 2021+ or -1 year.
Fair enough, but I don't see that low end C8 engine being able to out do the LT4 powered ZLE
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 01-24-2018, 12:36 PM   #38
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Shaffe i hope you know this is all in good fun, vary few people know with 100% certainty whats coming, i have my likes and you yours and its fun pushing out what it is we want to see the Camaro team build, But what ever they do i hope its the best they can do.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:22 PM   #39
shaffe

Quote:
Shaffe i hope you know this is all in good fun, vary few people know with 100% certainty whats coming, i have my likes and you yours and its fun pushing out what it is we want to see the Camaro team build, But what ever they do i hope its the best they can do.
Oh yeah always all in good fun. Especially good fun when there is opposing thoughts, as it can really help pass teh down time at the office.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #40
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
It seems to me that stepping from the LT4 to LT5 wasn't too involving, hardware-wise, for Corvette. I thought I remembered reading the long block didn't have to change all that much to get to LT5, so maybe LT5 in Z/28 wouldn't be too big a stretch. ZL1 already has a great complement of cooling for LT4 and they'd probably have to add a little capacity to support LT5; of course that 2650 doesn't have to spin as fast and heat the air as much as the wee-rotors in LT4, so maybe cooling won't be as much a big deal. It seems like most of the foundation in the chassis is already pretty close (i.e. solid mounts in 1LE, for example). If they've been durability-testing the driveline at the track on slicks then they may already have an idea the rest of the drivetrain is close, so CF-brakes may be the largest final hurdle. This won't be a cheap Camaro though, lol.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:04 PM   #41
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Al O has said multiple times the Z/28 is only naturally aspirated.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:00 PM   #42
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5 View Post
LT5, strip out all those ZL1 convenience items for weight reduction

7-speed manual

Ceramic brakes

Could be hints of Z28...

Most of the "convenience" items don't really weigh all that much. You could do a bare strip of the car ala 5th gen Z/28, lighter wheels (although I don't know you're saving that much weight) and strip it down to just one seat.... you're still only saving maybe 150-200lbs.

If you want to really shave weight, it's going to take lighter body panels, such as the trunk/hood, quarter panels...

Adding the 7 speed manual isn't an option, and it won't help the car unless they change the gearing. Would be far better IMO to just add the A10...because it would help much more than the 7spd.