Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-11-2009, 05:37 AM   #15
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Ok guys lets do this again.

The Automatic comes with 4 modes and in any of these modes you can use tapshift if you want by putting the car in M

Normal: Car defaults on startup in this mode.

Mode 2: No Traction Control but Stabiltrack

Sport Mode: Automatic gearing changes a bit, traction control and stabiltrack is losened up for more spirited driving (Recommend for driving on a Track)

Mode 4: Everything Turned off, grab you ass and hang on. You can easily kill yourself in this mode.

Hope that helped.
But what gear does the car start out in in the VARIOUS modes?? Is the Camaro like the vette where an uninformed driver unintentionally start off in 2nd gear??

That's the question.
TomServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:36 AM   #16
The Dark Knight
Batmobile in Disguise

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8
I test drove an automatic...but was too "comfortable" driving it just crusin...that I forgot about trying that out lol
Old 05-11-2009, 10:45 AM   #17
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
i read a review on here of some one who did use it, and they said that it felt very quick and responsive, which is the biggest fear with tap shifts
Old 05-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #18
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomServo View Post
But what gear does the car start out in in the VARIOUS modes?? Is the Camaro like the vette where an uninformed driver unintentionally start off in 2nd gear??

That's the question.
Yes default starts in 2nd, like the Corvette. Sport starts in 1st.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #19
Kenz Camaro

Drives: 1994 Impala SS
What I thought was also pretty cool is how when you "tap" to downshift, it revs the motor a bit to compensate for the gear change. I just wasn't expecting that ;>)
Kenz Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #20
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
sorry to compare this to a VUE but its the same concept. Wifes vue has this, there is no slap slap stick its a button on the left that goes up and down. the car automatically down shifts for you. Im guessing its the same idea as the view, if it is its really not that cool, but its not as fast as a manual. If you want the feel of a stick you better one. The Slap stick in my opinon is retarded.
nards444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:17 AM   #21
trueblue

Drives: 2011 Black 1-SS RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by levi1922 View Post
i read a review on here of some one who did use it, and they said that it felt very quick and responsive, which is the biggest fear with tap shifts

I don't know exactly what the fear is that you refer, but it is quite responsive...a whole lot more than taking off in full automatic. I got the automatic for when my wife needs to drive it, but it's nice being able to still drive it like a standard, only actually easier.
trueblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:28 AM   #22
Murph0408

Drives: 2LT Black '10 Camaro, 2000 Durango
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2the2nd View Post
only the V8 has a sport mode.
not sure if srs, i use my v6 in sport mode on a regular basis
Murph0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #23
Longhorn

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro 2SS RS L99
Has anyone tried downshifting to 1st while stopped and then hitting the accelerator? I know in S mode the car shifts itself, but in manual will the car shift through the gears or just stay in 1st?
Longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #24
aet08

Drives: c
you almost have to use tap shift if you are doing anything but cruising. the damn AT keeps up and downshifting when you dont want it to.

it will stay in first and hit the rev limiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn View Post
Has anyone tried downshifting to 1st while stopped and then hitting the accelerator? I know in S mode the car shifts itself, but in manual will the car shift through the gears or just stay in 1st?
stock, the tap shift was very slow. almost a full second to shift.

After I got the transmission custom tunned, it was a lot faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levi1922 View Post
aet08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:34 AM   #25
razor28124
I ran out of space for th

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Woah, woah, woah! Alright, here we go.
There are three modes to the automatic transmission. The first is "D"- This mode maximizes fuel efficiency.
The second mode is "S"- this is "sport mode"- the trasmission still shifts itself but changes the shift points to a more aggresive nature and holds the gears longer.
The third and FINAL mode is the manual mode- which allows the driver to shift and hold the gears to his or her perogative.

Now, there are three to four different traction and stability control modes which were listed earlier. The first is traction control and stabilitrac on, the second is traction control off stabilitrack on, the third (and final for v6 equipped cars) is traction control off/ stabilitrac off, and the fourth (and final for V8 equipped cars) is called competition mode which alters the tables of both stabilitrac and traction control.

Hope this clarifies.
razor28124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:13 PM   #26
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirebender View Post
I'm pretty sure the up shift paddle is on the left and the downshift on the right
Normally the down shift is on the left and upshift is on the right unless you have one of these then down shift is on bottom and upshift is on top, much better like this
Attached Images

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #27
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
You know after almost two years on C5 you would think I would get in the habit of checking when the first post was created. Read halfway through the first page of the thread till I noticed it was a Necro. Damn you!!!! lol

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #28
jimmyh

Drives: 2011 1LT => 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
Normally the down shift is on the left and upshift is on the right unless you have one of these then down shift is on bottom and upshift is on top, much better like this

Is that a custom shifter? Or something available? My biggest beef with tap shift is the lack of console shifting. That's pretty cool, but I would prefer like in my CTS, where you move the shifter over, then push/pull the shifter to up/downshift. Very convenient in crawling traffic (I am not going to keep both hands on the wheel when I am going 5 mph)
jimmyh is offline   Reply With Quote