Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 05-03-2017, 08:43 PM   #1
Angie11

Drives: 2011 ss rs convertable
5th bow strikes again

well 2 years since I repaired this junk. Got it out of storage to clean it up, changed the oil, go to open the top to detail the interior and CLUNK 5th bow goes again. It had worked good for the last 2 summers, this is really pissing me off. This car lives a blessed life, never sees rain, over the top maintenance, 28000 miles and this crap again.

Looks like I will be buying the part again and wasting an afternoon fixing this piss poor design AGAIN

Way to go GM, and thanks again so much for standing behind your product!!

If your considering buying one of these first few years vert do so with the knowledge that its not if it will happen but when
Angie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:42 AM   #2
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
That's rough Angie, sorry to hear.

I had no idea of that issue when I bought mine, but I wanted infotainment screen so it was a 2013 for me.

I wonder what the difference could be on the bows from 2011 & 1/2 of 2012 to late 2012 -2015 is. I did read GM scrambled to get convertible to production due to original supplier going belly up.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:55 AM   #3
Angie11

Drives: 2011 ss rs convertable
Well a little update here. Got the new 5th bow parts and did the replacement again. closed up top and it was all good, put rest back together and second time I opened it they bent again!! Pulled the parts back out, did some yankee engineering and welded some tube steel gussets in the 5th bow ends where they bend and reassembled, also adjusted the stops in the deck lid as I think they were set to low putting to much stress on the shitty mechanism. We will see how long this lasts.
Angie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
ARGH... I hope your fix works.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #5
SharpOldNo7

Drives: 2015 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie11 View Post
Well a little update here. Got the new 5th bow parts and did the replacement again. closed up top and it was all good, put rest back together and second time I opened it they bent again!! Pulled the parts back out, did some yankee engineering and welded some tube steel gussets in the 5th bow ends where they bend and reassembled, also adjusted the stops in the deck lid as I think they were set to low putting to much stress on the shitty mechanism. We will see how long this lasts.
Angie, if it works, you may need to start production and sell fixes.
SharpOldNo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:19 PM   #6
OrangeVert
"Catharine"

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS-3 IOM/IO vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpOldNo7 View Post
Angie, if it works, you may need to start production and sell fixes.
+1!