Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-08-2018, 07:06 PM   #1
dlc

Drives: red 2011 camaro ls
AY6 HAS GOT TO GO!!!

Can anyone recommend a good 6 speed manual trany for my 2011 camaro ls? Will the SS manual trany bolt up to my V6?
dlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 01:08 PM   #2
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

Drives: '11 SW 1LT/RS 6M
Hi again. Did you ever have issues with the 4th gen 5 speed manual transmission? And what issues are you experiencing with your 5th gen 6 speed manual tranny, if you don't mind me asking? I can tell you that I have driven a 3 speed(Saginaw) in a 1972 Nova in a 307 V8, 4 speed in a 1964 Corvair(air cooled, 6 cyl. boxer rear mount), 5 speed in my 1986 V6 Ford Ranger, and my Camaro. Out of all of those I have driven the Camaro is hands down the best of the bunch, and I can tell you why. The Corvair was my Dad's I didn't particularly enjoy driving it, it was touchy in the clutch and such a long throw that you had to have great timing. The Nova was fun to drive, but had a long throw as well and clutch was okay I had it had it for about 5 years before passing it down to my brother. Fun to work on too. My Ford Ranger was great and also had a long throw on it like those other two, but shorter than the others. The Ranger had a lot of pick me up, and was fun too. The Camaro has a V6 and the 6 speed manual. This is a SHORT throw. If you don't know the difference between short and long throws drive cars from different eras '60s '70s and '80s, and you'll quickly learn the difference and grind a lot of coffee. The manual transmission technology and clutch technology for that matter are basically similar but I can tell you there have been slight improvements over the 20 some odd years I have been driving, and can attest to the fact that we have better factory equipment now than we did back then. Anyway, what problems are you experiencing? Did the transmission go out, or did it have problems as a used car? Some cars are just lemons. Troy Lawson
Old 11-04-2018, 08:32 PM   #3
dlc

AY6

I have a fourth gen camaro with a 5 speed mt, and no I have not had the 1st problem with the trany and with just over 150k it still has the factory clutch.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:57 AM   #4
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Can you explain what the issue is with your AY6? I'm not a fan of them either but my current one is, well, okay. Are you stock clutch, stock gears, changed the fluid in the transmission, etc?

I'm on my 3rd AY6 (first needed 1-4 synchros replaced, 2nd didn't last 5 miles, drove it away from the dealership and it had a grind in first and second brand new, 3rd has been okay so far for around 40k miles) and I'm just not a believer. BUT. Trying to swap in a TR6060 with the bellhousing out of the ATS-V Cadillac is probably worth more than your car is and I doubt you love your V6 that much.

Edit: read through your other posts, your first gear creep sounds more like a clutch issue... how many miles do you have on it? Clutches in these cars I've noticed don't seem to slip like in older vehicles under high load in top gear.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler

Last edited by DSX_Camaro; 11-07-2018 at 09:20 AM.
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:21 AM   #5
dlc

AY6 may have to stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Can you explain what the issue is with your AY6? I'm not a fan of them either but my current one is, well, okay. Are you stock clutch, stock gears, changed the fluid in the transmission, etc?

I'm on my 3rd AY6 (first needed 1-4 synchros replaced, 2nd didn't last 5 miles, drove it away from the dealership and it had a grind in first and second brand new, 3rd has been okay so far for around 40k miles) and I'm just not a believer. BUT. Trying to swap in a TR6060 with the bellhousing out of the ATS-V Cadillac is probably worth more than your car is and I doubt you love your V6 that much.

Edit: read through your other posts, your first gear creep sounds more like a clutch issue... how many miles do you have on it? Clutches in these cars I've noticed don't seem to slip like in older vehicles under high load in top gear.
From what I've read I'm having the same problems as the majority and now you I see are another victim. For you to be on your 3rd one is an outrage! I went back toward the beginning of camaro5 and started reading and its just sickening! How did GM get by without a recall is just unbelievable. Mine will not go into 1st at all and pops out of 2nd while just easing around. I've only had it a couple months and last night I finally managed to back it into the shop and put it up on 4 jack stands. Later today I'll be seeing and sniffing the dope for the first time so that will tell me something. I agree with you as far as a clutch issue maybe the cause of the creeping. Recently I read about a large number of 5th gens to be found with loose pressure plate bolts. 911 got to run!
Old 11-08-2018, 09:14 AM   #6
dlc

Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman007 View Post
Hi again. Did you ever have issues with the 4th gen 5 speed manual transmission? And what issues are you experiencing with your 5th gen 6 speed manual tranny, if you don't mind me asking? I can tell you that I have driven a 3 speed(Saginaw) in a 1972 Nova in a 307 V8, 4 speed in a 1964 Corvair(air cooled, 6 cyl. boxer rear mount), 5 speed in my 1986 V6 Ford Ranger, and my Camaro. Out of all of those I have driven the Camaro is hands down the best of the bunch, and I can tell you why. The Corvair was my Dad's I didn't particularly enjoy driving it, it was touchy in the clutch and such a long throw that you had to have great timing. The Nova was fun to drive, but had a long throw as well and clutch was okay I had it had it for about 5 years before passing it down to my brother. Fun to work on too. My Ford Ranger was great and also had a long throw on it like those other two, but shorter than the others. The Ranger had a lot of pick me up, and was fun too. The Camaro has a V6 and the 6 speed manual. This is a SHORT throw. If you don't know the difference between short and long throws drive cars from different eras '60s '70s and '80s, and you'll quickly learn the difference and grind a lot of coffee. The manual transmission technology and clutch technology for that matter are basically similar but I can tell you there have been slight improvements over the 20 some odd years I have been driving, and can attest to the fact that we have better factory equipment now than we did back then. Anyway, what problems are you experiencing? Did the transmission go out, or did it have problems as a used car? Some cars are just lemons. Troy Lawson
Sorry I didnt get to finish my reply, I'm having some computer issues, however if you will read my reply to DSX...Camaro, then that will tell you part of what you asked. Right now I want to take a moment to say that my entire family and I thank you for your service to our great country, and may God bless you.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:23 AM   #7
DSX_Camaro

The AY6 just isn't designed for the application. It's a terrible match, but after upgrading my clutch / master cylinder and using real specific fluids and changing the fluid relatively frequently, this one has been alright. My suggestion would be to siphon your brake fluid and refill with fresh DOT3 and change your transmission and differential fluids first before anything else. Not that it will magically fix your issues but it's a good place to start before tearing in to it.

I run Redline GL5 75W90 in my differential and Redline 75W90NS in my trans.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 11-16-2018, 06:04 PM   #8
dlc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
The AY6 just isn't designed for the application. It's a terrible match, but after upgrading my clutch / master cylinder and using real specific fluids and changing the fluid relatively frequently, this one has been alright. My suggestion would be to siphon your brake fluid and refill with fresh DOT3 and change your transmission and differential fluids first before anything else. Not that it will magically fix your issues but it's a good place to start before tearing in to it.

I run Redline GL5 75W90 in my differential and Redline 75W90NS in my trans.
Yeah man Redline is good stuff. I know that from my drag racing days. As far as my AY6, imagine it being assembled without the 1st gear blocker ring. Hurts just thinking about it dont it?! I call it "the grind from hell" So unless I come up with a better idea soon, its coming out and I'm going in. I'm more than capable, I just really did'nt want to.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:33 PM   #9
DSX_Camaro

Oh, yeah, it sounds like your synchros have already gone like mine were in my first. Sorry man. If you get into it I'd grab an upgraded master cylinder and a fancy clutch since you have it apart already, depending on your mileage.