Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 03-29-2010, 07:25 AM   #1
RandyB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 SIM
Halo Projector Fog Lights for $72

My goal was to come up with some nice halo projector fog lights for much less money than I have seen them going for. These lights are available for many vehicles at reasonable prices, but the only option I have seen for the Camaro costs hundreds of dollars. I shopped around and found a nice pair on eBay. They have glass lenses and use standard H3 bulbs, so you can change the projector bulb to any color temp you like. They came with a mount for a different vehicle, so I knew I would need my own solution for mounting. This turned out to be easier than I expected and I used the factory mounting holes, so the integrity of the vehicle was maintained and if I wanted to, I could just purchase a new pair of factory fog light housings and they would pop right back in (I used the original fog housings to make the new mount). The little bit of work to modify the housing definitely paid off. I did not take any night shots of the lights yet, but I can tell you the projector color matches the headlights very well. The fog halos are a little more blue than the headlight halos, but I plan to put a smoke film on the fogs, which might help them match a bit better. I am very pleased with the results. Here are some pictures of the project:
This is the new fog light, complete with mount for a Dodge Ram truck.

Here is the new fog light after I removed the mount with a Dremel.

I cut the lens off the factory fog light housing so I could use the rear mounts on the new light.

I used the Dremel to bore out the factory housing. It looks pretty thin in some areas, but once it is attached to the light with epoxy it will be very strong.

Here is the new light with the factory mount attached. I gave the mount a quick (sloppy) shot with black paint before I attached it to the light with gorilla glue. The looks really aren’t important here as only the front lens will be seen. The light then attached to the bumper exactly the way the factory fog light does; it is very stable and much better than using tie wraps as some other posts have suggested.

I also cut the hole in the bumper a bit larger (Dremel again), but as you can see, the three mounting holes are maintained and this part of the car is hidden.

Here is the final product. The new lights fit perfectly with minimal gap.

That’s it. I understand some of you are not comfortable taking a Dremel tool to a new car, but this job was very easy to do and (IMHO) the results look as though the light were made just for the Camaro. I hope this write-up helps someone save a little cash (that they can apply to other mods).
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:39 AM   #2
eynigush
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SSRS Rally Yellow
Great job! Looks like a clean install.

--Eddie
eynigush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:19 AM   #3
stirthepot

Drives: 2010
nicely done. looks good.
stirthepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
camarorick

Drives: .

This looks great Randy !!

I sent you a PM
camarorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:14 AM   #5
hairzee

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
That looks GREAT for a fraction of the price of others....AAC for example. Why is the price so expensive from AAC? Doesnt matter, I am just curious.

I had a couple questions 1. did they come with bulbs and do they match the 4300k output of the RS headlights 2. how did you wire up the halos 3. what made you decide on the Ram lights and not the Denali lights for example. Thanks for sharing your hard work, again they look great and am thinking of doing the same as you have outlined here.
hairzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:40 AM   #6
adub4185

Drives: 2010 2SS RS, 2023 Camaro ZLE
Send a message via AIM to adub4185
i will be doing this for sure. thanks for the write up and the pictures!!
adub4185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:27 AM   #7
Mankind
Whats a Millwright?

Drives: 2LT/RS SIM, 05 Wht Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairzee View Post
3. what made you decide on the Ram lights and not the Denali lights for example.

I don't think it was a matter of it needing to be for the Ram or The Denali. The mounting bracket was cut off and only the front of the ring remained. As long as you can keep the cut fairly clean, or very clean like he did, it will still come out looking awesome. Will be looking into this before the C5 weekend trip gets here.
Mankind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:14 PM   #8
RandyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairzee View Post
That looks GREAT for a fraction of the price of others....AAC for example. Why is the price so expensive from AAC? Doesnt matter, I am just curious.

I had a couple questions 1. did they come with bulbs and do they match the 4300k output of the RS headlights 2. how did you wire up the halos 3. what made you decide on the Ram lights and not the Denali lights for example. Thanks for sharing your hard work, again they look great and am thinking of doing the same as you have outlined here.
1. Yes, they do come with bulbs. I am not sure how well they match, because I have not wired them to be on at the same time as the headlights. The good news is that these fog lights use standard H3 bulbs, so you can buy just about any color temp you want.
2. I spliced the halo wires into the side marker wires. This way the fog halos are on any time the headlight halos are on. I typically use the DRLs during the day, then run the parking lights during the evening with all 4 halos on, then (of course) headlights at night.
3. I wasn't really concerned with which vehicle the lights were made for. As Mankind mentioned, I cut off the part of the mount for the truck. I was just looking for one that would have minimal gap around the front lens.

I failed to mention above that I took the two side screws out of the light when I glued the factory housing on, but when you actually perform the mod, this will be a no-brainer. Just use the pictures above to see how much to cut and the rest is easy.

I am glad you guys like them and good luck with your installs.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:30 PM   #9
RandyB

Link for clear lenses: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-01...item2c53f945c4

Link for smoke lenses: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-01...item2c53e85960
Old 04-08-2010, 11:11 PM   #10
SNV

Drives: 2014 RRM 2ls
Great job! I love to see people about the mods for a fraction of the cost .
Old 04-11-2010, 09:35 PM   #11
verboten

Drives: Black
Please post pics standing back and at dusk. Nice work! Is the halo or fog the DRL?
verboten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #12
Sherwood SS

Drives: Black SS/RS
Nicely done, may have to look into this for myself