Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Generation with the most driver interior room?
1st Generation 10 34.48%
2nd Generation 4 13.79%
3rd Generation 3 10.34%
4th Generation 4 13.79%
5th Generation 6 20.69%
6th Generation 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2019, 03:45 PM   #29
CHRISCAM

Drives: 2013 Summit White 2SS/1LE
I just bought a Gen 5 SS. I had been worried about the interior room previously. I'm 6'2" and around 250. With the seat all the way down I have about an inch of headroom. As far as width, it seems like it should feel more cramped than it actually does feel. It's kind of an optical illusion because of the relatively narrow window sight lines and the black interior color, which feels less "open" than a lighter color might.
That said, in real-world driving it's actually really comfortable. I don't feel hemmed in at all.
I also owned a '69 around 20 years ago, when I weighed more like 200. That car had bucket and console seating. I feel like it had a little more space, or at least felt a little more "open" inside-- despite also having a black interior. I think it's more the knee area under the dash on the Gen 5 being slightly more intrusive than the Gen 1 dash.
Overall, I would give a slight edge in roominess to the Gen 1.
CHRISCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:38 PM   #30
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
Have owned 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th gens, the 1st gen definitely seemed roomier, especially the rear seat area.
Yea, my buddy that lived next door to me had a 1967 Camaro convertible at the same time I owned a 1975 Trans Am, I agree the 1st GEN seem to give you the most room. (Good times taking turns cruising the streets on Saturday night.) LOL

I've also owned a GEN5 and sold it for a GEN6 and I really didn't see a big difference in room between the two. The GEN6 is a little smaller but I'm 6'3" and I still don't put the seat all the way back in my current Camaro.

I've owned a
GEN2
GEN3
GEN5
GEN6
Most of the earlier GENs were Trans Ams.

Good thread.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:51 PM   #31
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISCAM View Post
I just bought a Gen 5 SS. I had been worried about the interior room previously. I'm 6'2" and around 250. With the seat all the way down I have about an inch of headroom. As far as width, it seems like it should feel more cramped than it actually does feel. It's kind of an optical illusion because of the relatively narrow window sight lines and the black interior color, which feels less "open" than a lighter color might.
That said, in real-world driving it's actually really comfortable. I don't feel hemmed in at all.
I also owned a '69 around 20 years ago, when I weighed more like 200. That car had bucket and console seating. I feel like it had a little more space, or at least felt a little more "open" inside-- despite also having a black interior. I think it's more the knee area under the dash on the Gen 5 being slightly more intrusive than the Gen 1 dash.
Overall, I would give a slight edge in roominess to the Gen 1.
Maybe the 1st generation felt like it had a little more space because of the 50 lbs difference at the time.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:55 PM   #32
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
I remember buying 8 tracks from you at Sam Goody's when I was in Jr. High.
One of the guys I worked with bought his grandmother's old Dodge Dart to keep the miles down on his car (the Dart had a 8 track radio). I went to lunch with him and some of the guys that were about 15 years younger then me in the Dart. He had bought some old 8 tracks at a yard sale to play and thought it was so cool but wish there was a way to get to the next song. I reached up and pushed the volume button and showed them how to change tracks. They all went "damn that is cool"... I went sh*t... I'm getting old.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:00 PM   #33
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
Yea, my buddy that lived next door to me had a 1967 Camaro convertible at the same time I owned a 1975 Trans Am, I agree the 1st GEN seem to give you the most room. (Good times taking turns cruising the streets on Saturday night.) LOL

I've also owned a GEN5 and sold it for a GEN6 and I really didn't see a big difference in room between the two. The GEN6 is a little smaller but I'm 6'3" and I still don't put the seat all the way back in my current Camaro.

I've owned a
GEN2
GEN3
GEN5
GEN6
Most of the earlier GENs were Trans Ams.

Good thread.
I think what has most surprised me about the thread is the 3rd generation. I always understood that it had the most interior room, both for the driver and overall.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:02 PM   #34
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
One of the guys I worked with bought his grandmother's old Dodge Dart to keep the miles down on his car (the Dart had a 8 track radio). I went to lunch with him and some of the guys that were about 15 years younger then me in the Dart. He had bought some old 8 tracks at a yard sale to play and thought it was so cool but wish there was a way to get to the next song. I reached up and pushed the volume button and showed them how to change tracks. They all went "damn that is cool"... I went sh*t... I'm getting old.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:11 PM   #35
CHRISCAM

Drives: 2013 Summit White 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
Maybe the 1st generation felt like it had a little more space because of the 50 lbs difference at the time.
LOL. Yeah, I'm sure that's part of it, but having sat in or driven all of the generations, my honest opinion is that the first gen has the most room, followed closely by Gen 5.
CHRISCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 07:11 PM   #36
67 to 91 to 13

Drives: 2013 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
I think what has most surprised me about the thread is the 3rd generation. I always understood that it had the most interior room, both for the driver and overall.
Maybe it’s because you sit down low in them. They have a good amount of room in them but you sorta feel like you are laying back low in theme
Old 03-24-2019, 07:34 PM   #37
Memphis SS

Quote:

Yea, You know with the GEN3 being a hatchback it did feel roomy and I never felt confined in the front of mine.

I think the GEN1 having such a flat dash and a small or no center console it just felt like it had a lot of room.

I really have enjoyed all the GENs over the years. I think the only bad memory I have about my Camaros that I've owned was the 1982 Z28. I got off work come out and someone stole my T-tops, it was 28 degrees outside. I had to drive home with no tops.. I would stop at a red light and people thought I was nuts.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:37 PM   #38
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 to 91 to 13 View Post
Maybe it’s because you sit down low in them. They have a good amount of room in them but you sorta feel like you are laying back low in theme
Good point
Old 03-25-2019, 01:27 PM   #39
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
The interior floor pans were similar throughout the generations.

The 2nd gen had pretty much the same floor pan stamping as the 1st gen. However, the greenhouse section was moved about 3.5" to the rear, relative to the chassis, giving it a longer hood/shorter rear deck proportion.

I don't really think this impacted interior room all that much, but it sure did affect the trunk capacity. The rear glass to rear deck merge point was much closer to the rear end of the car and it sloped down at a greater angle.

The 3rd and 4th gen shared the same floor pan stamping as well. The hump on on the passenger side floor in the 4th gen was a relic from the large pellet style catalytic convertor on the early 3rd gens. Since it was too expensive to modify the pan to eliminate it, GM just left it as is when they designed the 4th gen.

The 5th gen and 6th gen, of course, do not share any floor pan stampings since they are based upon on two entirely different platforms. However, I do think there is something wonky about how the (Alpha based) 6th gen handles the fuel tank/rear bulkhead positioning in the chassis.

Even though they both share a very similar wheelbase and overall length, the 5th gen is much roomier in the back seat area.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote