Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-28-2009, 11:30 PM   #85
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberty View Post
It’s informative having GM employees’ interaction – thanks for the input.

Here are two ordering anomalies for possible future correction:

1) On 2SS models, leather heated seats are mandatory – so one ends up with a car that is recommended to be driven in the summer only (summer tires), but with heated seats that are for use in the winter. All Camaros should have all-season original equipment tires.

2) Leather seating should be a stand-alone option – not an over $3k all-inclusive option. Having to suffer through summer months, on hot sweat-producing leather, to obtain other options is not good. An alternative solution is to offer cooled seats, especially for the south. I’d actually prefer leather if the seats were cooled.

My last car purchased was a 2004 Malibu Maxx and I was able to get all desired options, including remote start and power-adjustable pedals, without leather.

To avoid the leather seating issue, as well as its cost, I’ve changed my order from a 2SS to a 1SS – missing out on many desired options.
I'm in South FL, you know right next to the SUN!!

Both our cars have leather and the sun has never been a issue, turn on the A/C and a few min later the car/seats are cool. Leather cools fast, its a skin..

-bobby
Old 03-29-2009, 01:32 AM   #86
jesserayjames

Drives: Drives a 2012 IOM 2SS/RS 6M
Thank you #3, I'm sure everyone here appreciates your effort and excellent wrtie up.
jesserayjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:02 AM   #87
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Good read number3, thanks.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:14 AM   #88
rwald

Drives: 56 chevy
thanks for a honest opinion.
rwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:31 AM   #89
NSCRFN3

Drives: 2010 Camaro RJT 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I can assure you I will do all in my negotiating power to get on that CTF list. There are no guarantees, though. Getting on the CTF list will be hard I'm sure.
I will be saying a prayer for you that you do get on that list! After all the great effort you and Mrs. Number 3 have devoted to us here, I hope they notice what a great job you all have done for us and continue that by giving you a vert!
Old 03-29-2009, 09:59 AM   #90
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSCRFN3 View Post
I will be saying a prayer for you that you do get on that list! After all the great effort you and Mrs. Number 3 have devoted to us here, I hope they notice what a great job you all have done for us and continue that by giving you a vert!
Well I'll add you to my list of references. when the time comes. Would be very cool to share that story too.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #91
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Well I'll add you to my list of references. when the time comes. Would be very cool to share that story too.
Number 3, I think that will be a VERY long list from this site.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #92
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmeron View Post
Thanks for the review no. 3
I agree with the tires should be all season radials.
Also I have never had a hd radio or satelite radio etc. Can this radio still be used for free with radio stations picked up by an antena the old fashioned way?
Oh, absolutely. Think of the radio as the same as any car radio with a CD player. The XM Satelite is a subscription service that gives you access to additional digital satelite broadcasts. Go to xmradio.com and see if there are stations you might like. I think you get service free for a while on all new GM vehicles. But this is only on top of normal radio reception and function.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:19 AM   #93
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Thanks number 3... I always look forward to reading your posts.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:15 PM   #94
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertyforall1776 View Post
You know this is another thing that makes little sense -- on an SS, most people are unlikely to need the heated seats since the car is unlikely to go out in the salt/snow, so at least give us cooled seats!
This was discussed previously and someone made a good point. Some people with bad backs (or sore backs) like to have warmth on their backs. So that's one reason to have it in a summer car.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #95
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Number 3 and all,

My friend with the 1LT (CTF car) sent me some more feedback on his car. I thought this might be an appropriate place for it. I will also post it up in the review post that I created.

In 2100 miles of mixed driving, I have averaged 20.8 as of this morning. I have the 18" and the ride is not bad, its not a Buick or a Caddie, but it 'feels' like a performance car. Almost as good handling as the Solstice, with very little sway even on rough roads at high speeds. But I have experienced road hum at all speeds, mine is an early car though. Perhaps it accelerated so smoothly that it felt less than rocket-like from a standstill. The engine shone in the middle speed ranges, though. Nail the throttle to pass and, yowzah. Throaty, old-days exhaust sound, too. (Italics portion is from an article.) This is very true with the V6, it accelerates very smoothly but even at hwy speeds it still has 'punch'. I feel the tracks and rough roads, but as above, no worse than an Impala and much better than anticipated.

Gripes:
Rear seat access is limited, and depending upon driver and front passenger seat arrangement, rear seat space is limited for adults and large children. The center of seat release is awkward to engage and not intuitive to find. Nice feature is the easy release seat belt strap on front seat to move the seat belt out of way for rear access.

One of my biggest dislikes is the steering wheel design with the sharp angle center spokes; very difficult to access the radio controls that are close to the center hub. But the cross section feels great to me; very comfortable. The telescoping feature is also a nice touch, allowing for comfortable positioning of the wheel as well as a safer positioning for the airbags.

The 6 speed manual takes a little getting used to in 2 areas: reverse is pushed to lthe eft and then up next to 1st,; easy to miss the gear for many drivers (although this has not been an issue for me). The issue I have had is going from 5th to 4th when I really wanted to go from 5th to 6th. Finally have the hang of it but it took a while.

Three other critiques I have:
1) sun visors - on the 1LT at least they do not extend, making them worthless for driving when the sun is low and on the drivers side.

2) lack of a grab handle on passenger side for access and egress. May be an age factor here, but everyone that sits in it seems to notice (even a 20-something has complained about it).

3) Passenger seat does not have seat height adjustment, this combined with the high belt line of the car makes for a low ride for the passenger. My wife can barely see over the dash and the long hood. On a side note though she LOVES the car.

These are minor issues and the car is still a great ride and boy does it get the looks!!!
Old 03-30-2009, 05:39 PM   #96
HotWire

Drives: 2008 Redline, 2004 Dale Jr MC
Great Review.... I do however they would stop with the heated seat in the leather. I dont like them, they always break, increases overall weight of the vehicle. (yes I know only a little bit). But that is an item that should be available not standard becuase you want leather seats. As far as the plastic dash and whatnot goes though. You can always have it recovered with your choice of real leather, carbon, wood, etc, etc. I currently own a saturn redline and my dash will be recovered before toon long and a whole dash in your choice of materials will run ya near $600. So its not that bad.
HotWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #97
bob2the2nd

Drives: CGM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaropete View Post

3) Passenger seat does not have seat height adjustment, this combined with the high belt line of the car makes for a low ride for the passenger. My wife can barely see over the dash and the long hood. On a side note though she LOVES the car.
can someone else confirm this? This seems really weird both seats wouldnt be height adjustable on the final production model.
bob2the2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:53 PM   #98
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2the2nd View Post
can someone else confirm this? This seems really weird both seats wouldnt be height adjustable on the final production model.
The latest specs book says that the passenger seat is 4-way adjustable. I am assuming this is fore/aft and recline up and back. Perhaps Number 3 can chime in to confirm more for you.