Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #57
proxemics

Drives: 09 shelby GT500
good show

2005 honda accord DD
2009 shelby GT500
1990 LS1 foxbody.Sold
1996 mustang GT.Sold
1994 corvette.Sold
2000 mustang.Sold
1987 camaro Z28.Sold
1985 Supra.Sold
2008 mustang GT.Sold
proxemics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #58
Wahrheit
Banned

Drives: a lot of cars
The mustangs sold more because the 2013 gt500 hype brought them in, that's what it was supposed to do, its brings people in then you shuffle them over to standard gt or v-6 and because they are excited they buy it, sales trends guys, the transformers movies release marked an up swing in camaro sales also. I think its great this rivalry is back, we love cars so much our feelings carry over to create a forum to discuss them and share info back and forth and we cheer for our company and cars.
Wahrheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #59
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
I hate that I love that Mustang commercial. Mission accomplished for Ford
Yeh...and Chevy puts out this lame crap as if our Camaros are the butt of a joke. The Mustang Commercial is upscale. Looks like the Camaros was produced by someone at Toyota. Hate this commercial...the screaming is just annoying...who screams like a school girl over any car?? I can't beleive Chevy put that crap out. Who is in charge of there marketing?? ..cuz they need to be called to the mat for this.

shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #60
shrinkdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahrheit View Post
The mustangs sold more because the 2013 gt500 hype brought them in, that's what it was supposed to do, its brings people in then you shuffle them over to standard gt or v-6 and because they are excited they buy it, sales trends guys, the transformers movies release marked an up swing in camaro sales also. I think its great this rivalry is back, we love cars so much our feelings carry over to create a forum to discuss them and share info back and forth and we cheer for our company and cars.
The 2013 GT500 is not even out yet.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:48 AM   #61
roorback

Drives: V8 permagrin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
I bleed Chevy blue my whole life and love my toys. That said, I'm a Chevy fan but in no way a fanboy nor will I kiss anyones butt.
If Chevy can't sell me a ZL-1 then the car is a failure. I wanted a ZL-1 but they couldn't sell me. As far as a new SS goes, I would buy another one but no reason to, it's getting pretty silly with these new editions and extra stickers, LOL. Right now the 5.0 is a pretty good bargain with incentives. Getting back to the ZL-1, Ford schooled us this time around. Big AL O, did the best he could with the parts bin he had available to him but fell short, and he tries to sell us the kool-aid that it better than a GT-500, lets face it, look what Ford did, they are making ZR1 HP for half the price!! We all heard rumors that the GT500 was getting 600+ HP. If Chevy didnt know that then someone needs to start looking for a new job. The PRESENT ZL-1 is a GREAT car but should have a different nameplate. ZL-1 is TOP DOG name. the 2012/2013 is NOT a top dog. My hopes are that in 2014 Chevy takes it up a few notches.
-Bobby
1. so just because YOU don't want to buy one it's a failure?
2. you are wrong in your thinking about the ZL-1. It was never meant to "sell big" like the LS/SS models. Believe me, the market IS there and it's doing just fine.
3. The HP war is a back and forth process. The Camaro is behind overall because of the production lag. I doubt GM will just roll over and let the GT500 win all the accolades. They will have an answer and so will Ford and so will GM etc etc until CAFE kills all these cars.
roorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #62
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Mustang = MASS TRANSIT. Camaro = CUSTOM RIDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Star View Post
I honestly think you are a little biased...the base Mustang may come with a little bit less, but it is priced accordingly. I test drove it, the overall quality isn't that much different than the Camaro. A 2011+ Mustang is easily a headturner for me, but the problem is there are so many of them in general that it is nothing special to see one. I have a feeling that the Camaro is going to trend further towards that in a few years before the next gen hits, it's the downside of being a popular car.
I admit to being biased. But, I think the Camaro has earned the CUSTOM RIDE appeal/reputation. That would be true if it was a base model too. The ZL1 is the "pinnacle" of Camaro and therefore a "must have" in my book. The 1LT could arguable be called a must have at its' price! The GT500 is the Pinnacle of Mustang (a true "warhorse"), and is therefore due tremendous respect and agreeable, consideration in any Muscle Car purchase! But.... when it comes to the 97% remainder of production outside the Pinnacle, it's NO CONTEST.

The 650 HP, with it's $65K price tag (at least with track prep), takes it into Vette GS, and discounted Caddie CTS-V territory. So, IF I were in the $65K buying mood, I'd surely not end my search with a Mustang.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #63
roorback

Drives: V8 permagrin
And yes, right now the 5.0 is nicely priced and 0% certainly helps out. There are those that will jump to the newest, greatest also. Doesn't really mean Chevy is a failure though. Does the car need a refresh? Sure it does, but in my mind it's success is not tied to HP and sales liek some of you think.
roorback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #64
shrinkdoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by roorback View Post
1. so just because YOU don't want to buy one it's a failure?
2. you are wrong in your thinking about the ZL-1. It was never meant to "sell big" like the LS/SS models. Believe me, the market IS there and it's doing just fine.
3. The HP war is a back and forth process. The Camaro is behind overall because of the production lag. I doubt GM will just roll over and let the GT500 win all the accolades. They will have an answer and so will Ford and so will GM etc etc until CAFE kills all these cars.

Yeh...This is just round 3. The second round ended in the 70s. The first round was the mid to late 50s between the Ford T bird and Corvette. Chevy won that round when ford decided to abandon the 2 seater. Even if Cafe kills performance cars again there will still be more rounds between these two rivals while Dodge will throw in occaissional sucker punches at both of them. Its better than the Thrilla in manilla.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #65
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
Yeh...This is just round 3. The second round ended in the 70s. The first round was the mid to late 50s between the Ford T bird and Corvette. Chevy won that round when ford decided to abandon the 2 seater. Eve if Cafe kills performance car again there will still be more rounds.
Agree 100%. Trouble is, some of us won't be around for the "next" round! So... WE BE MAKIN HAY WHILE THE SUN IS SHININ! I can tell you this, I respect the new GT500. But, unless in the best hands, I don't feel at a disadvantage to be honest! Meanwhile, the ZL1 ride is just tremendous and untouchable near term.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #66
butters

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalded Dog View Post
I do not mind see oceans of Mustangs out there... there are so many of them, that they all just blend into the traffic. Camaros still retain a little exclusivity, because the freeway is not carpeted with them. They are still not common enough to simply blend in... Camaros still turn heads!
This.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:15 PM   #67
atari_80s_guy
Banned

Drives: 96 impala ss
I have read alot of comments about why the mustang outsold Camaro. First off the gt500 and it's impressive numbers are not the reason why. The gt500 is a limited production vehicle. Performance is not the reason because I remember the 93-02 F-bodies slapping GT's around with their weak 215hp and they still out sold the Camaro and TransAM ALMOST 2 TO 1 COMBINED! Advertsing is not the problem because this car has had to much help including a staring role in a movie! the transformers of course. Discounts is a good argument but I have seen too many camaro owners settle for a v6 camaro and they could have gotten a v8 mustang but they wanted the camaro because we as people buy the car we want. It has been said that fewer mustangs were being produced because ford was running out of v6 engines quicker than they could build them. This was due to the fact that they base mustang and f-150 share the same v-6 and Ford said they will not let anything come before the f-150 and there for there was a lack of mustangs available at ford dealerships. But as of April Ford has ramped up production the production of the mustang and people are really digging the new front clip of the 13 mustang. With that being said I think we SHOULD credit the mustangs sales jump to production and the refreshening.

Last edited by atari_80s_guy; 06-03-2012 at 01:41 PM.
atari_80s_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #68
atari_80s_guy
Banned

how can the Camaro need a refreshening when it's only been out for 2 years?
Old 06-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #69
atari_80s_guy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roorback View Post
And yes, right now the 5.0 is nicely priced and 0% certainly helps out. There are those that will jump to the newest, greatest also. Doesn't really mean Chevy is a failure though. Does the car need a refresh? Sure it does, but in my mind it's success is not tied to HP and sales liek some of you think.

how can the Camaro need a refreshening when it's only been out for two years?
Old 06-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #70
atari_80s_guy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
Mustang rose in sales because of this new commercial that came out last month

no it's because ford has ramped up production big time.