Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

View Poll Results: Do you conceal and carry with one in the chamber?
Yes 80 84.21%
No 15 15.79%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-14-2015, 06:12 PM   #43
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
It depends, each loaded condition has it's merits. Weapon familiarity & A very good training regimen is just as, if not more important than carry condition

Here's a pretty good vid of condition 3 carry (no round in the chamber)

Old 02-14-2015, 06:21 PM   #44
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedIsLife View Post
One of the reasons I dislike Glock and weapons like that is the lack of a real safety.

"My finger is the safety"...isn't very comforting.

When I carried my 1911 the very, very positive and strong thumb safety was a comfort.

Holster choice is broad today, and this will help. Also, there are many pistols with an anti-stress trigger set up and they work well.

Then again, once you chamber a round and snap off that safety on the 1911, your finger is the safety. So that brings me right back to proper holster choice: when the S-D pistol is in your fist, you're fixing to use it. So logically, the concern you had must be accidental discharge when carrying.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:29 PM   #45
Camero5
Hide! My wife's coming!

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
I've been held at gun point and have been shot at twice (wrong place at the wrong time). When you are under that kind of stress, I promise you will not have time to load the chamber and I guarantee you will fumble trying.

I always have one loaded in the chamber and safety on. Always always finger off trigger unless your prepared to shoot. . Always treat a gun as if it is loaded.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:04 PM   #46
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
Lets all call or mail our Congress Person. Tell them to vote yes for the Bill that will make all GUN Carry permits work like a drivers LICENSE. If you have a gun carry in your state it's good in any other state that has A GUN CARRY LAW. This will that care of states like Illinois who have made there Gun Carry Law far to extreme.

Skip
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 02:39 AM   #47
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
Your question should apply to open carry as it's all the same. You carry to be armed.

Unless you're former ISD (Israeli Defense Forces) and have practiced drawing and chambering a few thousand times, why would you carry a firearm different than the manner in which it was DESIGNED to be carried?

This isn't 1905, we have modern firearms that are not to be carried in any other manner.

Ever heard of a cop without on in the pipe? There's not anyone on the battlefield with an empty chamber.

My revolvers already have on in the pipe as do all double action revolvers.
My 1911s are carried cocked-and-locked.
My HK.45CT is designed to be carried cocked-and-locked or one in the pipe for double/single action fire.
My Sigs are double/single action with one in the pipe.
I carry my 10" shotgun with one in the pipe.
I carry my HK MP5 with one in the pipe.

They are engineered to save your life. They are not made to fiddle with in dire situations.
Old 02-16-2015, 04:53 AM   #48
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
If I had children in my home I would train in, and carry condition 3.

Condition 3 is similar enough to a FTF(s) and FTE that you should be practicing it already. It's easy enough to practice with an unloaded weapon. Most folks don't practice a proper draw nearly enough anyways.

keyword: practice
Old 02-16-2015, 06:11 AM   #49
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
yes, one in the chamber and no safety.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:06 PM   #50
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Old 02-18-2015, 06:31 AM   #51
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Very interesting holster. Of course I don't think they hit the target once when they shot, but neat design for those that don't carry with one in the chamber.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 04:02 PM   #52
MCSarge
USMC 1980-1990

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Interesting topic, the Israeli's teach a method for drawing and racking the slide to chamber a round that is interesting to watch. Of course if you are working in a team, and have more eyes watching the perimeter that can work better than one individual trying to watch everything.

Having been a Marine for 10 years and a former Law Enforcement Officer and Deputy Sheriff, I have my own opinions on this. One of the first things anyone should master is being able to remove a pistol from whatever holster you are using. When we were issued a new holster we had to practice drawing our weapons at least 150 to 200 times before we went to the range and qualified with it. You need to do this to develop the muscle memory to use it effectively under stress.

Also, you need to be aware that the average person can cover 21 feet in a about a second and a half. If it takes you longer than a second to draw your sidearm that doesn't leave you a lot of time to do much else besides bring the weapon on target. Another key thing that most people don't practice is weapon retention. Believe it or not it is very easy to take a pistol away from someone, especially if they are not familiar with how to hang onto it.

I think a lot of people go to the range and practice punching holes in paper and not enough time learning the basic things that can keep you alive in a gunfight. This is just my opinion and I do not mean to offend anyone.

Sarge
Old 02-18-2015, 04:09 PM   #53
MCSarge
USMC 1980-1990

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
why are military and law enforcement not carrying with one in the chamber? Im Navy, and when I stand watch at the gate my weapon is always carried condition 1.
Years ago that was the standard practice for the Military at least when I was in the Marines. It wasn't until Beirut in the 80's were all the guards at the gate had empty chambers and a lot of Marines died that they finally decided that maybe that wasn't such a good policy after all.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:49 AM   #54
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSarge View Post
Interesting topic, the Israeli's teach a method for drawing and racking the slide to chamber a round that is interesting to watch. Of course if you are working in a team, and have more eyes watching the perimeter that can work better than one individual trying to watch everything.

Having been a Marine for 10 years and a former Law Enforcement Officer and Deputy Sheriff, I have my own opinions on this. One of the first things anyone should master is being able to remove a pistol from whatever holster you are using. When we were issued a new holster we had to practice drawing our weapons at least 150 to 200 times before we went to the range and qualified with it. You need to do this to develop the muscle memory to use it effectively under stress.

Also, you need to be aware that the average person can cover 21 feet in a about a second and a half. If it takes you longer than a second to draw your sidearm that doesn't leave you a lot of time to do much else besides bring the weapon on target. Another key thing that most people don't practice is weapon retention. Believe it or not it is very easy to take a pistol away from someone, especially if they are not familiar with how to hang onto it.

I think a lot of people go to the range and practice punching holes in paper and not enough time learning the basic things that can keep you alive in a gunfight. This is just my opinion and I do not mean to offend anyone.

Sarge
Well said. It is the responsibility of everyone who decides to carry to practice drawing with their chosen firearm and carry holster. I find when going to a range to practice that most draw improperly and can not get on target in sufficient time.

Although I am no expert I do seek the advise of those that are considered experts in their field. I am willing to invest my money for lessons with qualified instructors as it is my responsibility to carry safely and be ready if I every have to defend myself or my family.

Practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect.

My .02
Old 02-19-2015, 12:25 PM   #55
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Very interesting holster. Of course I don't think they hit the target once when they shot, but neat design for those that don't carry with one in the chamber.
Not a very concealable holster, is it?

My VIN = 2G1FK1EJ9A9105017
Build Date: 04-23-2009 according to:
http://www.compnine.com/vid.php
CamaroSkooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:27 PM   #56
SixSpeeder

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSarge View Post

Sarge

Well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
Not a very concealable holster, is it?
Trench coat.

SixSpeeder is offline   Reply With Quote