Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-04-2015, 09:45 AM   #43
khell86

Drives: 2012 Ford Focus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Norris View Post
Guy's, Guy's, Guy's You just have to know where to look.

There are deals out there if you know where to look. There are nicely equipped Ram 2500 4X4, Quad Cab's with the 6.7L Cummins, Trailer hitch, 5" touch Screen, Tow mirrors, exhaust brake, chrome bumpers, anti-spin diff, front tow hooks, engine block heater etc. For less then a $1,000 more then you paid for 8-9 years ago. This truck probably has options your truck didn't come with and its only $35,755

http://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeepd...7240fb2f44.htm

I'm not a sales man, I just get frustrated when potential diesels buyers settle for half tons all because they think they cost too much money. Little do they know you can get them for $35k all day equipped the way most of us want them. I wish dealers would stop the charade and put prices like this directly on the vehicle you think they'd have increased profits.

P.S
LBZ powered Duramax is one of my fav diesels, did you land a unicorn and get one with the last year manual trans?
12,000 off. Damn lol.
khell86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:35 PM   #44
hockeylover86

Drives: Buick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Norris View Post
Guy's, Guy's, Guy's You just have to know where to look.

There are deals out there if you know where to look. There are nicely equipped Ram 2500 4X4, Quad Cab's with the 6.7L Cummins, Trailer hitch, 5" touch Screen, Tow mirrors, exhaust brake, chrome bumpers, anti-spin diff, front tow hooks, engine block heater etc. For less then a $1,000 more then you paid for 8-9 years ago. This truck probably has options your truck didn't come with and its only $35,755

http://www.dennisdillonchryslerjeepd...7240fb2f44.htm

I'm not a sales man, I just get frustrated when potential diesels buyers settle for half tons all because they think they cost too much money. Little do they know you can get them for $35k all day equipped the way most of us want them. I wish dealers would stop the charade and put prices like this directly on the vehicle you think they'd have increased profits.

P.S
LBZ powered Duramax is one of my fav diesels, did you land a unicorn and get one with the last year manual trans?
Great deal there, I know the Ram trucks have been the bargain leader for the last couple years.

My LBZ is an Allison, picked one up off the lot when the NBS trucks were just starting to roll out. I only have 26K miles on it now, since its mostly a summer camper puller and is parked all winter. Its in great shape and will probably stay with me for a few more years. The comfort of the new trucks is attractive, the DPF/SCR and fuel system problems not so much...
hockeylover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 03:48 PM   #45
Truck Norris
Thread Mover

Drives: a Monte Carlo
I'm honestly not too concerned about aluminum bodies. Pretty sure it has to pass all sorts of crash tests and what not. I'm all for aluminum in all sorts of things just as long as its built strong like the aluminum frame on the vette's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylover86 View Post
Great deal there, I know the Ram trucks have been the bargain leader for the last couple years.
The last time I looked about two years ago Ford and GM were within $1,500 or so and I think one of them came in cheeper but it may of had a few less options. I think I just googled it and some forum posts with dealer links popped up. Then see which one of your surrounding dealerships is willing to price match.

Another thing I noticed is on the used market, these added options add little if any to the value of a used diesel. A clean lower optioned truck will bring more then a more worn out looking higher end optioned truck because leather doesn't always look better then cloth and older NAV units are borderline worthless now days compared to smart phones, then color and accessories come into play.

Your LBZ sounds like a peach, hold on to it as long as you can.....but I know how attractive new things can be. At the rate you put miles on it, the engine should out live all of us.

Last edited by Truck Norris; 08-05-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Truck Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 11:12 PM   #46
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Looks like Ford has found a second supplier for frames...

http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/...itional_s.html
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:07 PM   #47
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
I hear ya, but it does not take this long for innovation to move so slow. Many of the 'luxury' innovations have been available in other world markets for 15 years or more by these same manufactures. While it might not be a conspiracy to hold the tech advances back, there is no profit in pushing it forward either.

For example, Ford doubled their labor rates for "all aluminum related work" to $120-150/hr, but most dealers have been told not implementing it until "mass sales waves have completed" in hopes to lower the PR fallout. Minor repairs take the same time and effort as steel while major repairs take less than half the time and are cheaper.

Carbon Fiber today is no longer 10x the price of steel, primarily because heat baking is no longer required. The cost on a Camaro hood today is under $250/pp USD, with most of the "expense" being marketing hype.

It is not politically correct to build something stronger, faster, lighter, more luxurious and to do so cheaper. The technology is available and has been, but manufactures refuse to pursue it.
Let me see, how do I say this politely. You are wrong. Name anything that has been available for 15 years in another market you haven't seen here.

I don't care how much cheaper CF is it remains non viable unless you are willing o pay bug premium for the mass reduction.. I know this because I've done it in this industry.

Cool stuff is coming, but it isn't cheaper......yet.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:47 PM   #48
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongos2U View Post
Looks like Ford has found a second supplier for frames...

http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/...itional_s.html
I'm hoping the shortage isn't cutting too much into sales.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:15 AM   #49
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
I'm hoping the shortage isn't cutting too much into sales.
It already is.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:23 PM   #50
hockeylover86

Drives: Buick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Let me see, how do I say this politely. You are wrong. Name anything that has been available for 15 years in another market you haven't seen here.

I don't care how much cheaper CF is it remains non viable unless you are willing o pay bug premium for the mass reduction.. I know this because I've done it in this industry.

Cool stuff is coming, but it isn't cheaper......yet.
Plus carbon fiber burns doesn't it?

Not a good idea on high volume mass produced vehicles, unless some kind of fire retardant could be implemented. But that would add even more cost.
hockeylover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:32 PM   #51
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylover86 View Post
Plus carbon fiber burns doesn't it?

Not a good idea on high volume mass produced vehicles, unless some kind of fire retardant could be implemented. But that would add even more cost.
CF will burn, but I believe it has to be well over 500 deg. F. So it isn't likely to catch fire, but it certainly will burn just like the interior and all other plastic bits on the car which will burn or melt at lower temps than that.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:50 PM   #52
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
CF will burn, but I believe it has to be well over 500 deg. F. So it isn't likely to catch fire, but it certainly will burn just like the interior and all other plastic bits on the car which will burn or melt at lower temps than that.
Don't forget gasoline. That stuff loves to burn. Ignition temp is right around 500 degrees too I believe.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote