Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 07-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
jkupa10

Drives: 2012 45th Vert 2LT/RS
Oil Pressure Gauge to Max

I just changed my oil for the first time today in my 2012 2LT v6. Drained all the oil, changed the filter, added new synthetic oil (6 quarts of 5W-30) and now my oil pressure gauge will basically follow my rpms. If I hit the gas it instantly goes to max, and when I let off the gas it will drop down to about 25 psi, until I hit the gas again. Is there just a problem with a sensor or something that my gauge is doing that? I'm fairly certain it didn't do that before I changed the oil.
jkupa10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #2
Michael Rophone

Drives: Yes
Oil Gauge pegs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkupa10 View Post
If I hit the gas it instantly goes to max, and when I let off the gas it will drop down to about 25 psi, until I hit the gas again. Is there just a problem with a sensor or something that my gauge is doing that? I'm fairly certain it didn't do that before I changed the oil.
I just got back from my car's first long trip. 1,177 miles on the odo, no oil change yet, and noticed the gauge max's out on take-off, like yours.
This may be another on the Camaro's long list of WTFs.
Michael Rophone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Mine does that too and I just changed my oil as well. I understand the pressure goes up when you step on it
Old 07-05-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
Infinite-T

Drives: 2011 1LT RS RJT
I remember reading several different posts on this in the past. I belive it is normal for the pressure guage to peg when you accelerate, mine also does it for the first few minutes of a cold start. At idle it sits near 30, put the hammer down a bit and it pegs. I remember reading somewere that it actually gets near the 90 PSI range under accel (I dunno about that but..) Everything Ive read about it says its normal. If you are worried about it, mention it to your dealer next time you are in for service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
If you'd rather drive a civic that eats your soul than a camaro that eats your wallet then thats your choice.
Infinite-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #5
Michael Rophone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite-T View Post
I remember reading several different posts on this in the past. I belive it is normal for the pressure guage to peg when you accelerate, mine also does it for the first few minutes of a cold start. At idle it sits near 30, put the hammer down a bit and it pegs. I remember reading somewere that it actually gets near the 90 PSI range under accel (I dunno about that but..) Everything Ive read about it says its normal. If you are worried about it, mention it to your dealer next time you are in for service.
Routinely check your oil level a couple of minutes after you park. If you're not burning oil, the gauge pinning is probably not a worry.

There are threads here about Camaros burning oil.

That's what's so great about these cars; there're surprises...
one right after another.
Old 07-13-2012, 03:12 AM   #6
Chang

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6 LLT Rally Yellow
Mine get to the max as well.
If u notice the gauge itself, you will see the red line is on the left, which means pressure too low is no good. And the line on the right is white, it indicate that pressure level is normal, just in my opinion.
Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Glad I found this. I have had my V6 since Feb and just noticed the guage maxing out this morning. Quite frankly I have never watched the guages before so was interested if maxing out during acceleration was normal. Glad to hear it is.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #8
dianeokie
Going places

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Victory Red
I noticed mine doing the same thing right after I bought it, and wasn't sure if it was normal. Went to the dealership immediately and was assured it was normal!

"just stay with traffic, you'll be fine". = famous last words
dianeokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
Definitely normal. Oil pump is driven by the crank. The faster it spins the faster the oil pump spins the more oil pressure. temperature of the oil will also affect the amount of pressure. When it's cold the oil pressure should read higher. Hope this helps.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:19 PM   #10
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Fresh oil will have better pressure than old oil that is diluted with gas and condensation. Sounds normal.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #11
Michael Rophone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Fresh oil will have better pressure than old oil that is diluted with gas and condensation. Sounds normal.
If you've got gasoline diluting your oil, you've got a serious combustion problem.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #12
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chang View Post
Mine get to the max as well.
If u notice the gauge itself, you will see the red line is on the left, which means pressure too low is no good. And the line on the right is white, it indicate that pressure level is normal, just in my opinion.
This answer is right on!
Old 07-29-2012, 03:04 PM   #13
jkupa10

Drives: 2012 45th Vert 2LT/RS
I couldn't decide if it hadn't done this prior to changing the oil or I just hadn't noticed it. About the only explanation I could think of was I put in too much oil, but I quintuple checked to make sure that wasn't the case. It does seem to stay in the 30-50 psi range once the oil temp gets to ~200 degrees. Definitely normal though, thanks for the assurance everyone!
jkupa10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:18 PM   #14
BumbkebeeRallySport

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro RS transformer ed
Hey does anyone know why on cold start my oil pressure is 70 then drops to 0 when the oil hits before the 200 F?
BumbkebeeRallySport is offline   Reply With Quote