Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-17-2021, 10:26 AM   #1
Vegas_Callaway

Drives: 2012 Callaway Camaro
Supercharger with Boost controller anyone?

Good morning all, love the forums, this is my first ever post so be gentle on me :-).

First the car, 2012 Callaway Camaro. This Callaway conversion has the Magnuson TVS 2300 Supercharger. I upgraded from its original SC572 form. Kooks Headers, 1050XD injectors, E85 sensor, 3.5 Pulley gives me 8.5 lbs of boost, Aux fuel pump kit similar to DSX. This puts me at 570 WHP.

I am about to do some additional mods, including a new smaller upper pulley to push more boost.

The question I have is has anyone used, or heard of anyone using the SmoothBoost electronic boost controller on their supercharger to control the bypass valve.

The idea and the concept sounds good, and logically it makes sense, but I haven't seen anyone that actually uses it on any GM cars and I wonder why. It would just be nice to be able to open that valve a bit during normal driving when I don't need to be pushing 10-12 lbs of boost every time I hit the gas pedal to pass someone on the freeway.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

Bryand1234@gmail.com

Insta - @Vegas_Callaway
Vegas_Callaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:35 AM   #2
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
boost controller is your foot, easily controlled and free. Don't want 12psi? don't put it to the floor. Watch your boost gauge it is directly related to your go fast pedal position on a supercharged car.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:42 PM   #3
RealQuick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6 - Intake/Exhaust
Boost controller is a nice method of switching between boost levels. Previous to recent centrifugal SC's with the switchable electronic boost control, people could mount a wastegate in the charge pipe.
RealQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:19 PM   #4
Greenhornet2

I can see it being useful for road course so you don't get the snap shut of the valve. For a $1,000 price tag though on a weekend warrior hell no. Once I got used to the bypass valve and where in engages I can ease into the boost without getting the surge, at least in 3rd and above.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Old 06-17-2021, 01:34 PM   #5
RealQuick

It’s useful for not needing to switch pulleys in any situation (autocross, drag racing roll racing, street racing)... one pulley to govern the setup.

Run a 15psi pulley and a wastegate with a 8psi spring. Hook up a boost controller and run 8psi on the street... 15psi at the track or when you feel you can use all of it.

Not sure at either of your power levels that variable boost is needed.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:17 AM   #6
Greenhornet2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealQuick View Post
It’s useful for not needing to switch pulleys in any situation (autocross, drag racing roll racing, street racing)... one pulley to govern the setup.

Run a 15psi pulley and a wastegate with a 8psi spring. Hook up a boost controller and run 8psi on the street... 15psi at the track or when you feel you can use all of it.

Not sure at either of your power levels that variable boost is needed.
Nope, it's not a race car it's just a weekend warrior for fun.
Old 06-18-2021, 02:53 PM   #7
Vegas_Callaway

Drives: 2012 Callaway Camaro
Thanks for the feedback all, not sure of my next steps or if I will do the boost controller. I for sure wont do SmoothBoost controller without hearing some good feedback about it. I know the cheapest way to adjust the boost is to use the set screw to slightly open the bypass valve, and option two is to change out the pulley. Both of those will work, they just aren't quick and adjustable during driving.

Bryand1234@gmail.com

Insta - @Vegas_Callaway
Vegas_Callaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:36 AM   #8
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
I know its not helpful here since you have a PD blower, but Big Biscuits just did this with his centri blower setup. He installed a wastegate in the charge pipe, ran a smaller pulley and controlled boost to a flat 15psi. What he found was higher than normal IAT's.

spinning the blower faster to not use the boost it creates is kind of counter productive. I believe he has ditched the wastegate.

It's kind of the same principle with your setup. You would be spinning the blower faster, creating more heat, and not using the boost. I personally would rather just push the pedal down less, and keep the wear off my blower.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock"
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:57 AM   #9
RealQuick

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLeSthree View Post
I know its not helpful here since you have a PD blower, but Big Biscuits just did this with his centri blower setup. He installed a wastegate in the charge pipe, ran a smaller pulley and controlled boost to a flat 15psi. What he found was higher than normal IAT's.

spinning the blower faster to not use the boost it creates is kind of counter productive. I believe he has ditched the wastegate.

It's kind of the same principle with your setup. You would be spinning the blower faster, creating more heat, and not using the boost. I personally would rather just push the pedal down less, and keep the wear off my blower.
Good catch on the PD blower... I didnt even see that part. Not sure a wategate can be used in that case... you need to install it between the blower and TB (which doesnt exist in a PD blower).
Old 06-24-2021, 07:59 AM   #10
Greenhornet2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealQuick View Post
Good catch on the PD blower... I didnt even see that part. Not sure a wategate can be used in that case... you need to install it between the blower and TB (which doesnt exist in a PD blower).
On a PD it controls the bypass valve. But I would think the same issue mentioned above would also be the case.