Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2010 Camaro5 Fest (I)

Old 04-20-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
jhmurphy

Drives: Grey Beast
What C5F did for my son

I brought my 15 year old son to the Fest in hopes that he would begin to really understand what it is to own a Camaro. I purchased him a 1997 Z28 recently and he loves the car but really did not understand all the emotion surrounding this car the camaro. He really got to see first hand how much it really means to so many people this weekend. He now has a new found respect for the car that I hope grows into a life long passion as it has with me. I have all the staff and voluneteers on camaro5 to thank not to mention the GM staff especially Al Oppenheiser.He stopped and talked to me an my son about my car and then offered to come back to sign my car. I then had to get up to the staging area to run the 1/4 and Al found me signed my car and posed for a couple of photos with me. My son was so impressed that he spent the time to find me. That speaks volumes for the type of people that have built the car we all love.

So I say once again Thank you all for what will be some great memories for me and my son to share for a long time to come.
jhmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Don't let it stop there. Get with your local owners and find other meets in your community. We have something that very few other discussion boards have: a sense of community.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
jhmurphy

I won't for sure the fire is burning now and I plan get it blazing.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
very nice story.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:29 PM   #5
Deb's 2SS/RS

Drives: 2010 SW 2SS/RS
Great story!! My husband and I have had Camaros since the 70's and luckily the passion has transferred to our son. In fact, his ride home from the hospital was in the back of a Z28 (not an easy fit for a baby seat, but we made it work- lol). We are always saying that unless someone owns a Camaro, they just don't understand. It is truly a unique feeling to be part of a close knit community that spans the nation.
Deb's 2SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
lsgun
Camaro Enthusiast

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/RS CGM a6
That's awesome! It was great running into you guys there, and the memories and stories are great...plus I came home with a new CAI!..Once your son starts Modding that Z28.. the obsessions and passion will start! I look forward to the same mission with my son one day.
lsgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
jhmurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb's 2SS/RS View Post
Great story!! My husband and I have had Camaros since the 70's and luckily the passion has transferred to our son. In fact, his ride home from the hospital was in the back of a Z28 (not an easy fit for a baby seat, but we made it work- lol). We are always saying that unless someone owns a Camaro, they just don't understand. It is truly a unique feeling to be part of a close knit community that spans the nation.
Thank you and yes is great to be part of this close knit community. what a luck boy to get his first car ride in a Camaro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsgun View Post
That's awesome! It was great running into you guys there, and the memories and stories are great...plus I came home with a new CAI!..Once your son starts Modding that Z28.. the obsessions and passion will start! I look forward to the same mission with my son one day.
Hey it great to see you again. Got to love getting new toys for the ride. The fun of having a Camaro for me now is seeing the spark in my sons eye when we talk about what are going to do to our cars. Sound like you are looking forward to the same mission I am currently on. Enjoy it as much as you can when the time comes there is nothing like it!!
Old 04-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #8
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
great story! I can't wait to take the boys to the shows!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:50 PM   #9
GMteSSted

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
another 15 year old is sold....

Great to hear other youngsters were impressed. I too brought my 15 year old son. When I got home from work on Monday he said "hey dad, I've been online, I found the halo lights we need and you better buy the supercharger, the price that guy quoted you was really good!" I hope he does develope the passion. I also hope I have the courage to buy him his own Camaro next year and can afford the insurance. It wont be a '10, but it will be a "camaro".
GMteSSted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:06 PM   #10
RaspyRon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS SIM
Great story. I brought my two sons with me (ages 26 & 23) and they also felt the passion and respect that camaro owners have for their cars. They met alot of people there and were impressed with the way that everyone was so nice and carried on conversations with them. I know for me it was a long overdue bonding time with my boys. They have not stopped talking about the fest and how they would both like to buy camaros and join the camaro family. Jhmurphy..it was good seeing you again. We need to have another local meet soon.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:40 AM   #11
jhmurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbabyrooster View Post
Great to hear other youngsters were impressed. I too brought my 15 year old son. When I got home from work on Monday he said "hey dad, I've been online, I found the halo lights we need and you better buy the supercharger, the price that guy quoted you was really good!" I hope he does develope the passion. I also hope I have the courage to buy him his own Camaro next year and can afford the insurance. It wont be a '10, but it will be a "camaro".
Go for it get him a nice older one they aren't that bad in price. My son is going nuts wanting to add more power to his now instead of mine but I will be keeping him in check for a while till he learns to handle what he already has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaspyRon View Post
Great story. I brought my two sons with me (ages 26 & 23) and they also felt the passion and respect that camaro owners have for their cars. They met alot of people there and were impressed with the way that everyone was so nice and carried on conversations with them. I know for me it was a long overdue bonding time with my boys. They have not stopped talking about the fest and how they would both like to buy camaros and join the camaro family. Jhmurphy..it was good seeing you again. We need to have another local meet soon.
Great to see you again and any time you can get with your sons is awsome take advantage of it all. Hope you can make it out to the meet robdogg is setting up a AntiVenom in may check out the southeast thread for details.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:06 AM   #12
OldSchoolCamaro
Living the American Dream

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/2SS Rally Yellow
It is great to hear that your son is now 'one of us'. I am sure you also get the benefit from sharing the love of cars with your son and hopefully will bring you closer together.

As a father of two teenage boys, I know how hard it is to get my boys to spend time with me as they are so busy with school and social activities going on. They grow up so fast and spending time with my boys doing something other than house chores or yard work is priceless.

C5 Indiana Camaro Club

Central Indiana Camaro Club

OldSchoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:21 AM   #13
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Cool stories. I hope to be able to strike some enthusiasm when my boy gets old enough (almost 3 years old). The first Z28 I drove was my dad's '94 and I was 16. I was infected instantly. He traded it a couple years later, but I bought my first '95 in '97 and LOVED that car. Get it a good CAI first, though, IMHO (K&N was GREAT). Watch that Opticrap, too, lol. Anyways, it's really cool to see his enthusiasm already start building. Make sure he's careful with all that power. That car will get it
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:28 AM   #14
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Both of my kids went and had a blast. My boy is 11 and my daughter is 8.

A cool story is that earlier Friday in the host hotel parking lot, they both got to meet Scott Settlemire and he shook their hands. Then as he was leaving he said "walk with me" as he moved on. They knew who he was beforehand and later my daughter told some others she got to meet "Bumblebee's Dad".

They also got to ride in our friend's blue 67 Camaro "Mighty-Mouse" around the track during the C5 parade laps. Talk about Perma-Grin...

This was a weekend they will never forget.