Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-04-2023, 08:38 AM   #29
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Filed under “because we could”. Otherwise, what’s the point?

https://youtube.com/shorts/2cukB4_hD...ffbqpv0lPCHsAi
The Cybertruck is awesome, but I'd rather have one of those robots
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:21 AM   #30
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Technically good,but damn ugly.
chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:30 AM   #31
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwra View Post
Anyone else finding it a bit weird that one of the main selling points is how it reacts to being shot at with various weapons?
Maybe because they know their TARGET audience.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:35 AM   #32
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

The thing about the CT is that everything that was discussed at the Delivery Event, including the Porsche pull and the sled drag, speak to the capabilities of the CyberBeast trim. Three motors 845 hp, etc, etc. That version outperforms pretty much everything it was lined up against. When you look at the specs of the two motor trim and especially the single motor trim, you’re pretty much looking at Rivian capability at slightly above Rivian pricing. Of course Supercharger network adds to the value proposition, but it’s suddenly no longer head and shoulders above the pack.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 12-04-2023, 09:41 AM   #33

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
I wonder why there was no comparison with the Hummer EV. They seem similar. I wonder how the Hummer EV would have placed in the tractor pull.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 10:33 AM   #34
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I wonder why there was no comparison with the Hummer EV. They seem similar. I wonder how the Hummer EV would have placed in the tractor pull.
There were some comparisons in the Delivery Event. CT smokes the HUMMER wrt acceleration and battery efficiency.

Old 12-04-2023, 12:17 PM   #35
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
These sled pulls are common here in small town "Missoura" lol. It's all about traction of pulling vehicle (so weight helps) and of course power.

That said, the Hummer might do the best considering it has a few thousand pounds of weight over the Cybertruck....not like that is a good thing in the real word.
Old 12-04-2023, 04:27 PM   #36
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
After seeing pictures and video of this truck the only thing I can think of is "Test bed". I have a hard time believing that the look of that thing will inspire many buyers to own one. In the mean time they work out any bugs before releasing the new improved look and bug free version, It`s a good concept just ugly.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 05:29 PM   #37
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
That’s why I edited to write what I wrote after the photo (now in bold). In the video you can see that there is a mechanism on the sled that moves forward as the sled moves forward. That has the effect (I think) of moving the blade downward and increasing the braking force. So if I’m reading this right, and if the mechanism moves at the same rate of speed no matter how fast it is being pulled, then there is a natural advantage for the Tesla because it launches so fast. Meaning it can travel farther faster with effectively a lighter load. Thing is, the same should have been true for the Rivian and Lightning, but both finished behind the F350.

***EDIT***
I managed to find this explanation of how the sled works. Similar to what I thought, but it does seem that the weighted mechanism is at the same position based on position on the track. So either way, we’d need an engineer to calculate exactly how much effective weight any of the trucks actually pulled. And the article also brings in the variable of traction. This particular stunt may be more about the combination of traction as well as towing capability. This is from Motor Trend…

How Does A Pulling Sled Work?
One of the more confusing parts of sled pulling is just how the sled itself works. These specially designed vehicles feature a moveable weight box and a large steel pan that drags along the ground. The weight box, which can hold varying amounts of steel ballast, travels from the rear of the sled gradually toward the front. In doing so an increasing amount of pressure is put on the steel pan, which translates into resistance for the vehicle doing the pulling. The weight box's movement is controlled by movement of the sled's drive axle and completes its movement about halfway through the course. With the both the amount of weight in the box and the speed of its movement set by the operator they can easily get any truck to about the 300-foot mark.
This is worth mentioning, because the Cybertruck running a "full pull" is not entirely impressive on its own without more context. What is impressive, however, it the margin with which it beat this competitive set of trucks. Watching the video in slow motion we can see that the ballast in the sled's weight box remains constant for all trucks, giving us confidence that this was in fact a legitimate result.
The moral of this story is simple, it might be worth thinking twice before lining up beside a Cybertruck at either the drag strip or sled pull unless you're absolutely certain it isn't a Cyberbeast variant.

Maybe we are or are not saying the same thing, my point was, there is a LOT more to a vehicle than just moving the weight.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 07:30 PM   #38

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickss View Post
After seeing pictures and video of this truck the only thing I can think of is "Test bed". I have a hard time believing that the look of that thing will inspire many buyers to own one. In the mean time they work out any bugs before releasing the new improved look and bug free version, It`s a good concept just ugly.
Perhaps the design was determined by the nature of the body cladding/sheet metal. Probably limitations on forming and shaping. I recall Musk said the material would break any stamping machines. I think it may lead to an entire line-up of similar type Teslas. The current ones are getting long in the tooth looks wise.

Might as well go nuts with it. I think these Cyber trucks are just the start of the "look of the future", at least for Tesla. I doubt they will evolve/de-volve into something more traditional looking.

Last edited by 90503; 12-04-2023 at 07:53 PM.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 07:03 AM   #39
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Maybe we are or are not saying the same thing, my point was, there is a LOT more to a vehicle than just moving the weight.
I couldn’t agree more. I was, however, focusing on the ability to move weight in this case because it is one of the things that staunch anti-EV types insist cannot be done. Until it is.

First it was “oh yeah, they can run fast…once…” Now it’s been proven they can run fast over and over again. Then it’s “you can’t take long trips” ok, but Supercharger network fixes that for most (not all).

So now it’s “can’t tow”. There are limitations, but towing does seem to be part of the repertoire. I would not use any EV I have seen to tow my Camaro to CamaroFest, but as far as say towing a boat from a storage dock to a local river or lake? No problem.

Old 12-05-2023, 08:20 AM   #40
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
Quote:
I couldn’t agree more. I was, however, focusing on the ability to move weight in this case because it is one of the things that staunch anti-EV types insist cannot be done. Until it is.

First it was “oh yeah, they can run fast…once…” Now it’s been proven they can run fast over and over again. Then it’s “you can’t take long trips” ok, but Supercharger network fixes that for most (not all).

So now it’s “can’t tow”. There are limitations, but towing does seem to be part of the repertoire. I would not use any EV I have seen to tow my Camaro to CamaroFest, but as far as say towing a boat from a storage dock to a local river or lake? No problem.
Is it really? I think most folks understand the weight can be moved, but not without complication and inconvenience for long distance for example. Pull through chargers aren't exactly growing on trees. Do they even exist? Do you want to disconnect trailer first? Use the right tool for the job as it stands today.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 08:44 AM   #41
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Is it really? I think most folks understand the weight can be moved, but not without complication and inconvenience for long distance for example. Pull through chargers aren't exactly growing on trees. Do they even exist? Do you want to disconnect trailer first? Use the right tool for the job as it stands today.
It’s what I hear most often when the idea of EV pickups comes up. The premise is that they’ll be fine for people who only use their trucks for basic transportation, but as soon as you try to use it as a truck…”

I’m not in the truck market, and tbh if I were, I doubt I’d gravitate towards an EV truck, but at this point it looks to me that they are capable for short haul.

I am tied into the commercial vehicle market and do a lot of study on the progression of electrification of commercial vehicles, including infrastructure build up. Pull through chargers do exist and are growing in implementation, not at the rate of passenger vehicle chargers though. And, tbh, they are similar networks to passenger car CCS implementations which have sketchy reliability records.

Old 12-05-2023, 08:49 AM   #42
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS1LE View Post
Exactly. It's not whether it can be done, it's which option does it best and easiest for the owner.

My truck is a tool. My Camaro is a toy. This Cybertruck appears to also be a toy, which is why I suspect that people who view their trucks as tools will not be interested.
Well said. CT has the capability to be a tool, but I seriously doubt most who purchase it will do so with that end in mind.