Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 11-30-2019, 08:20 AM   #1
Black 6.2L SS

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, LS3, NPP
Coolant drain plug on the engine block?

Hi guys,
I’m looking to change my coolant on the SS real soon and I’ve been thinking it though and doing some searches on here to eliminate any surprises.

**Does anyone know if GM put a coolant drain plug on the side of the engine block anywhere?

We used to own a Honda Pilot that had a “square ratchet head” drain plug on the side of the block....once I removed that block drain plug all the trapped water in the block would come dumping out. Very nice and easy that way.

Does anyone with a service manual know?
Thanks in advance.
Black 6.2L SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:12 AM   #2
0stones0
It don’t come easy.

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6
There should be one on each side of the block, from what I’ve Googled.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:27 PM   #3
Black 6.2L SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
There should be one on each side of the block, from what I’ve Googled.
Google search....that’s a good idea.
It seems the coolant drain plugs are there somewhere. It would be sweet to have a clear picture of the exact plugs to remove. Don’t want to remove the wrong bolt, haha

If anybody knows or has a pic post it up. I would think having the drain bolt info would be really handy to Camaro 5 members because you can do a coolant flush in one drop instead of the repeated partial drain and refill method. This is all I found on Camaro 5:

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287146
Old 12-01-2019, 06:12 PM   #4
Black 6.2L SS

I’m just closing this thread out for future Camaro 5 readers:

I changed the coolant. But before I started I looked around both sides of the block from underneath. There appears to be two block drain plugs:

Driver’s side - it’s at the back of the block near where it bolts up to the bell housing. Mine was partially obstructed by the oil cooler housing and I couldn’t get a good hex fit on it. I didn’t want to strip the head so I left it alone.

Passenger side - it’s located directly above the starter. I decided not to loosen it because the idea of water pouring out on my starter and other electrical connections nearby potentially complicated things. So I left that drain plug alone as well.

I just used the radiator petcock. I got 8 of 11.8 quarts from the radiator drain and was satisfied with that. Filled it back up and no trapped air problems etc. I hope this helps someone in the future.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:18 PM   #5
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black 6.2L SS View Post
I’m just closing this thread out for future Camaro 5 readers:

I changed the coolant. But before I started I looked around both sides of the block from underneath. There appears to be two block drain plugs:

Driver’s side - it’s at the back of the block near where it bolts up to the bell housing. Mine was partially obstructed by the oil cooler housing and I couldn’t get a good hex fit on it. I didn’t want to strip the head so I left it alone.

Passenger side - it’s located directly above the starter. I decided not to loosen it because the idea of water pouring out on my starter and other electrical connections nearby potentially complicated things. So I left that drain plug alone as well.

I just used the radiator petcock. I got 8 of 11.8 quarts from the radiator drain and was satisfied with that. Filled it back up and no trapped air problems etc. I hope this helps someone in the future.
Nice to see someone follow up when they find the solution. Not something everyone does after looking for an answer. Props to you
Old 12-09-2019, 07:47 PM   #6
FASTDIESEL

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 SLP Cosmetics
I'm thinking about a steel plug that's been in an aluminum block for five years.... So much to go wrong when trying to remove (like the aluminum block threads coming out with the plug!). I think you made the right choice.
13.244 @ 104.91 100% stock (#17).
Now - Mike Norris catch can. 245/50/19 Firestone Wingfoot A/S on LT2 black powder coated rims (square). 1 7/8" Speed-Engineering LTH, off road pipes, tune.
Now 12.93 @ 109.13.
FASTDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:32 PM   #7
Black 6.2L SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajefe Couple View Post
Nice to see someone follow up when they find the solution. Not something everyone does after looking for an answer. Props to you
Thanks for noticing. This forum is such a wealth of info, so I’m always trying to pass it on.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:34 PM   #8
Black 6.2L SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTDIESEL View Post
I'm thinking about a steel plug that's been in an aluminum block for five years.... So much to go wrong when trying to remove (like the aluminum block threads coming out with the plug!). I think you made the right choice.
Yikes!.....that’s a scary thought. I didn’t even consider that possibility. Sometimes we can kill things with love. Glad I left the drains alone.