Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-22-2019, 03:19 PM   #6595
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Saw that. Having a hard time believing it will happen on the T1XX platform. Current K2XX Escalade weighs in around 5,700 lbs without carrying enough battery to move it for 400 miles. Subtract mass of powertrain, driveline and exhaust and add back in batteries and you’re probably over 7,000 lbs. Physics works hard against this one.
Yes, but on the other hand ... the Escalade and physics have never really got along to begin with.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:47 PM   #6596
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Yes, but on the other hand ... the Escalade and physics have never really got along to begin with.
Truth. But in this case you get to a point where you’re adding battery volume to haul around battery mass. I think that Escalade EV will likely come from whatever GM is working on wrt a truck EV platform, not T1XX. And that’s gonna take some time. Doubtfully within this architectural cycle. So considering T1XX utilities have yet to launch, you’re looking at 4 - 5 years.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:30 PM   #6597
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Truth. But in this case you get to a point where you’re adding battery volume to haul around battery mass. I think that Escalade EV will likely come from whatever GM is working on wrt a truck EV platform, not T1XX. And that’s gonna take some time. Doubtfully within this architectural cycle. So considering T1XX utilities have yet to launch, you’re looking at 4 - 5 years.
Oh, I agree completely. Reminds me of a couple of years ago, I was doing some back of the envelope calculations regarding an all electric semi. The conclusion I came to was that with current battery tech, it would take something in excess of 80% of the payload capacity to get a meaningful range. 1 pound of cargo taking over 4 pounds of battery to move. Thats not something that'll get widespread adoption until there is a revolution in battery mass efficiency. Thats about the time I got sold on fuel cells for anyone that wants to make a green semi. A lot of the hydrogen problems go away with big trucks, and you don't run into the issues of mass-scaling that self propelled batteries have to deal with.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 07-23-2019, 01:01 PM   #6598
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
I have a hard time seeing batteries coming real soon in FS vehicles, but GM had better step on it if they want to keep up with Ford's electric F150.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/23/2...on-pound-train

I don't know how long it will be until the F150 all electric truck hits the market, but if they are teasing it now, wouldn't you think we could see it on the streets in just a year or two? Maybe not...I don't know.

As for all electric in general, it seems that GM has that covered, as they have already announced multiple all electric vehicles coming, but I don't recall anything about full size.

I just wish instead they had done more with the voltec technology. Seems like a waste.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:38 PM   #6599
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I have a hard time seeing batteries coming real soon in FS vehicles, but GM had better step on it if they want to keep up with Ford's electric F150.

I don't know how long it will be until the F150 all electric truck hits the market, but if they are teasing it now, wouldn't you think we could see it on the streets in just a year or two? Maybe not...I don't know.

As for all electric in general, it seems that GM has that covered, as they have already announced multiple all electric vehicles coming, but I don't recall anything about full size.

I just wish instead they had done more with the voltec technology. Seems like a waste.
A part of the issue with Voltec is that it filled too specific of a niche. Turns out, there just isn't much overlap between people who are worried about an EV stranding them and those who want to drive electrically.

But beyond that, I think GM screwed themselves over when they decided that they'd just call the Volt an EV instead explaining it. So the EV crowd isn't ignores it because they know its a hybrid, while the average buyer sees it as a $40k Cruze that can only be driven 40 miles at a time. They don't wait around for anyone to explain how its hybrid electric+range extender system works, because they don't care.

A way smarter move would have been to embrace its original mission statement: kicking Toyota (Prius) in the teeth. Airing ads along the lines of 'the average Prius driver uses 20 gallons of gas per month. The Volt? 1, sometimes none' or whatever. Focus on the fact that it uses less gas (rather than more electricity), because that has a way broader appeal than touting a tiny electric range.

On a tangent to all that, I think GM missed a big opportunity with the Voltec system. It would have been perfect as a 'beta test' for unconventional engine setups. HCCI, or a Wankel, or opposed pistons, or whatever. There are other forms of internal combustion engine besides the normal 4 stroke Otto (or Atkinson) cycle that have certain efficiency or mass benefits, but for one reason or another aren't quite ideal for the average car. The limited operating parameters required of a Voltec generator could mask those drawbacks while maximizing the advantages. And with what was learned from using an HCCI (or whatever) engine in a Volt could be applied to putting that tech into mass market cars.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 07-23-2019, 05:58 PM   #6600
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:

Not that "the people I know" form a statistically valid sample, but nobody i know who has a truck is likely to want an electric one.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:24 AM   #6601
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:

I want to know what kind of trickery they did to pull that stunt off. Same with when other truck makers do outrageous stunts like that lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Not that "the people I know" form a statistically valid sample, but nobody i know who has a truck is likely to want an electric one.
This ^ I could see some people with money buying it up just because they can but I don't see how many people will buy electric truck
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:37 AM   #6602
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Right now, I would generally agree. At least for anyone that tows.

Eventually I'd love an electric truck if it has 500+ mile range and battery/charger tech is so good that I could recharge in the same time it takes to fill an HD trunk with fuel today. The torque would be awesome for going up grades.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:37 AM   #6603
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I want to know what kind of trickery they did to pull that stunt off. Same with when other truck makers do outrageous stunts like that lol

This ^ I could see some people with money buying it up just because they can but I don't see how many people will buy electric truck
No trickery required. Just physics. All that needs to happen is the truck has to be able to pull with enough force to get the thing moving. For railcars, that isn't much. You might be able get a single empty railcar moving by yourself if its on flat ground (if its not ... good chance it'll be rolling away on its own, without your help). The rolling resistance is that low.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 07-24-2019, 05:59 PM   #6604
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Don't know how accurate it was but someone on Facebook did the math and factoring in the train cars being on rails meant the truck really only had to exert enough force to pull like 1500 pounds or something.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:31 PM   #6605

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
If they were on a 1/4% downhill slope, they would probably roll on their own without anything pulling them....Why do you think they chock the wheels?....

This pulling a train bit is as old as the hills and twice as dusty....

Name:  train.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  37.4 KB
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:46 PM   #6606
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Don't know how accurate it was but someone on Facebook did the math and factoring in the train cars being on rails meant the truck really only had to exert enough force to pull like 1500 pounds or something.
What was it, a million pounds total? From what I could look up this evening, the resistance seems to be around 5 lbs per ton (I've seen it listed as 4 or sometimes even less, but I don't like to assume a best case scenario when I don't know much about what I'm doing).

Anyway, 1 million pounds is 500 tons. 500 ton x 5 lb/ton = 2500 lb. So 1500 is plausible, though maybe optimistic. I'd guestimate it at 3000 to give myself a little extra margin of error.

At any rate, its almost certainly going to be less than 5000 lbs of pulling force required. The max force a truck can pull with is pretty much its own weight, assuming its 4WD (RWD is a lot less, particularly with no tongue weight from the load). For an electric pickup, like Martinjlm was saying for the e-Escalade, you're looking at something weighing around 7000 lbs.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 07-25-2019, 10:57 AM   #6607
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Silverado Diesel rated at 33MPG. 3 up on Ford, and 6 up on RAM currently.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...-fuel-economy/

I'd say that's pretty big. I'm not typically drawn to the diesel engines, but this one would get a look. That said, the price premium, and the premium cost of fuel would likely still break the deal for me. If diesel was still the same price or cheaper, then it would likely be a no brainer.

Avg mpg is 27, which is what...8 - 10 mpg than the average for the 6.2 which you can get for the same price.

Its worth noting that on 4x4 models, that hwy rating drops to 29 (that seems like a big drop to me?) which is just 1 better than Ford.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:19 PM   #6608
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
I just don't get the love for diesels unless your towing/hauling alot.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fenwickhockey65, gm questions, questions