Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / PA

Old 04-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #6833
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Drives: Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
Jay or anyone who wants to jump in....

I'm starting some research on cams (probably 1-2 yrs out), and was wondering about a good local shop/tuner that would be able to do the install and tune.

Any suggestions?
Yourself?

Yank the accessory belt, crank pulley, water pump, and timing cover. Pull the chain and gears, and then the cam slides out. Well, you also need to pull the coils and valve covers to ensure the valves don't drop, but all in all, it's a pretty straightforward thing.
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #6834
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonspeed View Post
Yourself?

Yank the accessory belt, crank pulley, water pump, and timing cover. Pull the chain and gears, and then the cam slides out. Well, you also need to pull the coils and valve covers to ensure the valves don't drop, but all in all, it's a pretty straightforward thing.
Ha, I have no experience with this (though I'm willing to learn), and I'd rather not play Trial and Error with a car I'm still paying on. I want to be sure its done right.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #6835
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

I used to feel the same way, but then I decided that if some of the yahoo's working in the dealership can do it then I certainly can. It's just a fancy LEGO set, and there's only one way to get experience -- to do it!

I have to ask (in the nicest way possible): if your dad had a race car, how in the world do you not know how to do this stuff?!
Old 04-16-2013, 10:04 AM   #6836
Seer

Drives: 2015 Mustang GT
1st Try Engineering in Robinson is a great place to get the labor done. They usually use Ed from Virginia Speed to come up and tune the cars on Wolfpack Speed's dyno.

Another alternative is FJ Performance in Murraysville.

Doing the cam install yourself is relatively easy if you have the right tools. Most shops around here will charge about $400-600 in labor for the cam install alone, then there is tuning.

You will also want valve springs, locks, and retainers unless you are also buying better heads as those components can come pre-installed. I'd also look into a set of better lifters too. May as well replace the timing chain too while you're in there. Also an underdrive pulley might not be a bad idea since the stock crank pulley has to come off to do a cam. You will also want headers if you are doing a cam.
Seer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #6837
Trav2SS
MTMTEYE

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Yea 1st try is good place. And like Jay said.. do it all at once. I plan to.. someday.. lol I think Jeff their said they had a tuner up there this week possibly.

I hope to do mine myself, or at least with help of some people

Aftermarket bolt on parts and tune.. 434hp/395tq
Daily Driver.
Trav2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #6838
Swacer

Quote:
I used to feel the same way, but then I decided that if some of the yahoo's working in the dealership can do it then I certainly can. It's just a fancy LEGO set, and there's only one way to get experience -- to do it!

I have to ask (in the nicest way possible): if your dad had a race car, how in the world do you not know how to do this stuff?!
My dad isn't exactly the most helpful person in the world. You'd think after building 2 race cars, he would have taken the time to teach me...but he had no interest and or care to. Just not one of those who enjoy to pass on knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seer View Post
1st Try Engineering in Robinson is a great place to get the labor done. They usually use Ed from Virginia Speed to come up and tune the cars on Wolfpack Speed's dyno.

Another alternative is FJ Performance in Murraysville.

Doing the cam install yourself is relatively easy if you have the right tools. Most shops around here will charge about $400-600 in labor for the cam install alone, then there is tuning.

You will also want valve springs, locks, and retainers unless you are also buying better heads as those components can come pre-installed. I'd also look into a set of better lifters too. May as well replace the timing chain too while you're in there. Also an underdrive pulley might not be a bad idea since the stock crank pulley has to come off to do a cam. You will also want headers if you are doing a cam.
I plan on doing a kit which would be the springs, cam, and everything else included. Would get a new oil pump, timing chain, and the works.

As for headers, you're right, I plan on headers by this fall, cam would be after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav2SS View Post
Yea 1st try is good place. And like Jay said.. do it all at once. I plan to.. someday.. lol I think Jeff their said they had a tuner up there this week possibly.

When you decide to do yours, I'd appreciate the opportunity to attend to see what needs to be done. Let me know!
Old 04-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #6839
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

I'm working on my collection as the paychecks come in thanks to Rich!

My header studs came in on Friday. I am waiting for the O2 sensors to drop from $57/ea. back to $50 on Amazon (I'll be running longer Corvette sensors rather than extensions) and then they'll be on their way. I still need my motor/trans mounts from WS6store and new oil pump & timing set from Rich. Coming along slowly but surely!

Cam install is the same for my car as your 5th gens except you have a bit more room in the front (I need to yank the radiator). You're free to stop by anytime to learn more, Brendan. Hell, you should have been there when I did my power steering cooler, underdrive pulley, and pulled my rockers.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #6840
Bumblebee2012

Drives: 2012 2SS TF3, 1971 Chevelle
Guys,

Not sure if I posted this earlier but First Energy Solutions (Electric Supplier) is offering the friends and family program again. If you are interested in long term electric savings, take a look at your current bill and compare it to the link below. If you choose to take advantage of the savings (locked in low rates for 3/7 years) then you would use my employee SAP ID number 47106.

Quote:
FES & FEG are working together to provide reliable electric generation and exclusive savings.

We have an exclusive electric generation offer available only to our employees -- and your friends and family members.
Through the FirstEnergy Solutions employee program, you'll receive a special discounted rate on your electric generation and save money on your monthly electric bills.
Act now! Offer ends May 15, 2013.

* "FEG" refers to full-time employees at the competitive plants owned by subsidiaries of FirstEnergy Corp.
Employee SAP ID is 47106. Please use this

https://www.fes.com/content/fes/home...scount/ff.html
Bumblebee2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #6841
Bumblebee2012

Drives: 2012 2SS TF3, 1971 Chevelle
Do you use factory exhaust manifold gaskets for headers?
Bumblebee2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #6842
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblebee2012 View Post
same pattern
Old 04-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #6843
Swacer

Quote:
Guys,

Not sure if I posted this earlier but First Energy Solutions (Electric Supplier) is offering the friends and family program again. If you are interested in long term electric savings, take a look at your current bill and compare it to the link below. If you choose to take advantage of the savings (locked in low rates for 3/7 years) then you would use my employee SAP ID number 47106.

Employee SAP ID is 47106. Please use this

https://www.fes.com/content/fes/home...scount/ff.html

PM'd you.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:01 AM   #6844
Seer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav2SS View Post

yep, Jeff knows the LS motor backwards and forwards.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #6845
demonspeed
not afraid of the wall

Quote:
Yup. The OE MLS gaskets have proven time and time again to be the best choice.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #6846
Swacer

Quote:
I'm working on my collection as the paychecks come in thanks to Rich!

My header studs came in on Friday. I am waiting for the O2 sensors to drop from $57/ea. back to $50 on Amazon (I'll be running longer Corvette sensors rather than extensions) and then they'll be on their way. I still need my motor/trans mounts from WS6store and new oil pump & timing set from Rich. Coming along slowly but surely!

Cam install is the same for my car as your 5th gens except you have a bit more room in the front (I need to yank the radiator). You're free to stop by anytime to learn more, Brendan. Hell, you should have been there when I did my power steering cooler, underdrive pulley, and pulled my rockers.
Hey, I'll be right down the road, just give me a ring, I'll head over.