Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #1
C-redfly

Drives: 2013 VR vert ZL1
Rs headlight ballast replacement help

Hey I'm having some issues with my driver headlight. At first it would flicker when coming on. Now it's outright not coming on. I changed the bulb and still nothing. Could the ballast be out? And if so, what's the replacement process?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
C-redfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:24 PM   #2
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Its on the bottom of the headlight 3 bolts and it comes out.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:59 PM   #3
C-redfly

Thanks. Do I have to remove the front fascia to access it?

Old 05-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #4
Sigelitest

Drives: White 2016 Z06
i had the same problem with mine. Water was getting in it and causing the problem. and u have to remove the bumper to get to it. i have a ballast out of the car if u want to see pictures of it.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:14 PM   #5
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-redfly View Post
Thanks. Do I have to remove the front fascia to access it?

You need to take off the headlight to get to it, which means the fascia has to come off. Google a tutorial or video, it's not too hard.
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 03:19 PM   #6
C-redfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigelitest View Post
i had the same problem with mine. Water was getting in it and causing the problem. and u have to remove the bumper to get to it. i have a ballast out of the car if u want to see pictures of it.
Ok so to clarify it. Water caused it to blow out or it would act up when it got wet. Because I do have a huge hole in my
fender liner and water could get in there and every time I take it to the hand wash, which is very rare, but every time it starts acting up. I think it may be burnt out this time because it wasn't coming on at all this morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTheCat View Post
You need to take off the headlight to get to it, which means the fascia has to come off. Google a tutorial or video, it's not too hard.
Ok will do

Old 05-14-2015, 09:34 AM   #7
Sigelitest

Drives: White 2016 Z06
[QUOTE=C-redfly;8401272]Ok so to clarify it. Water caused it to blow out or it would act up when it got wet. Because I do have a huge hole in my
fender liner and water could get in there and every time I take it to the hand wash, which is very rare, but every time it starts acting up. I think it may be burnt out this time because it wasn't coming on at all this morning.

Mine stayed off for a week one time. came on when i took it to the dealer but they could see the condensation so they changed the whole fixture. it was over a grand. thank God for the warranty.
sorry for the late reply. hope it is fixed by now
Old 11-16-2023, 09:02 AM   #8
RBMASELLI
HELLZYA

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro RS
On the 2012 RS, you don't have to remove the fascia to get to the passenger side ballast. Cut your wheel all the way to the right, remove 3 screws holding wheel liner to fascia and remove both push plugs so that you can peel the wheel liner half way back and put it behind tire. You will see 2 bolts to remove the coolant reservoir. You don't have to take it out completely, just remove both bolts to drop it. You need to do this because one of the ballasts screws is under it. Feel around and you will find the 3 screws that hold in the ballast. One of them is a little difficult to feel because it's a little hidden, but you will find it. Disconnect and replace. The plug is similar to that of your headlight bulb. Open hood to remove plug for more lighting.
RBMASELLI is offline   Reply With Quote