Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-10-2015, 03:50 PM   #43
Mb6000

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Silverz28 could u post a picture of that please
'11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3 M6| Black on Black| BMR Strut Brace| P&P Throttle Body| Cold Air Inductions Black CAI| 2" TSP LT Headers| Cat-Back Exhaust| Hurst Line Lock| Night Fury Cam| Brian Tooley Valvetrain| Melling 10296| C5R chain| Comp Cam rocker kit| 3.91 1LE Gear Kit| MPD1 Z Force Hood| BMR Lowering Springs| 480hp/454tq
Mb6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:54 PM   #44
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb6000 View Post
Silverz28 could u post a picture of that please
Hes talking about that big ole wire on the front of the head on the pass side, cant miss it
Old 06-29-2016, 07:10 AM   #45
DroppedSsTurbo

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss w/ Rs
Anyone know if that powermaster starter solved the issue. I'm going to run a new wire, and since I'm dropping the starter I feel like I should just replace it also?
DroppedSsTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:09 AM   #46
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Check your grounds. I had horrible starting issues and it turned out to be a ground wire that wasn't touching the engine block, instead it was sandwiched between two nuts. I think I did that when I was installing my catch can and never realized it.

I did put in a new starter before I noticed the ground, made a little difference then went back to normal crap starts. Had the battery tested, came back fine. Then I got under the car, took the starter and starter heat shield off and put heat reflective tape onto the heat shield side facing the headers, and starter side facing the block. I even wrapped the wires going to the starter in the tape as well and it worked for a bit but went back to crap starts. Then when I was cleaning the catch can out I decided to look at the grounds and noticed the misplaced one. Cleaned the ring terminals and put it back where it was supposed to go and it's been perfect ever since.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 08:13 AM   #47
CGbambam

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
I had the same issue, but since I switched over to ceramic coated headers issue went away. Heat soak was definitely the culprit,
CGbambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 08:58 AM   #48
RedRyder

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Check your grounds. I had horrible starting issues and it turned out to be a ground wire that wasn't touching the engine block, instead it was sandwiched between two nuts. I think I did that when I was installing my catch can and never realized it.
I've been struggling with these symptoms for damn near 2 years and this was my problem. I replaced both my battery and starter once each and both times it helped for a while but eventually the hot start issue would come back. Just kind of learned to live with it after that.

I checked and my ground wire wasn't directly on the block, I think I also messed this up when I relocated my catch can. Now it starts up every time after long periods of driving. Can't believe it was such an easy fix. At least I now have a battery with higher CCA and a quieter starter..
RedRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:55 PM   #49
kaseyb85
Keep Calm & Chive On

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS/RS CGM
After 2 years its FIXED!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz-lo View Post
Thank you so much Cruz-Lo. This has been the biggest pain in the A$$ and now its fixed! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

I've been fighting this for TWO LONG YEARS!! Finally got it fixed. Had something to do with the positive jump post under the hood. And I've replaced the starter(twice), replaced the battery(x3), wrapped the passenger header near the starter(thinking it was heat soak), and cleaned all the grounds. This was so simple and cheap.

I know it's not pretty but did it this morning before work. Gonna clean it up tomorrow.
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 3007
Size:  56.7 KB
Old 07-26-2016, 06:09 PM   #50
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
is that a wire run all the way from the battery, direct to starter, or is that just a jumper around the post?
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:59 PM   #51
Subzero

Drives: Black 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
I've been having the hot start issue since I replaced my engine. My shop was thinking that thermal expansion was causing an interference fit between the starter and the clutch flywheel ring gear. If that was the case, the starter wouldn't be able to engage. They shimmed the starter, which helped the issue some.

Since a lot of people mentioned heatsoak, my engine has a 160F T-stat, so that's cooled efficiently. However, the engine bay gets extremely hot - I can hardly touch anything without melting my hands - plastics included. How hot can it get under there before things start going awry?

Anyways, during the break-in process of my motor it sometimes stalls when I let off at a high RPM (3k+) and I can't get it started until something cools down. The starter bogs heavily (lucky if I get 1 rotation) when warm, but when it's cool, it's perfect - turns over normally.

Should I even look at the clutch as being a culprit? I'm going to double-check my grounds tonight.
Subzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:15 AM   #52
Heyjezzy
Evil Bee Texas

Drives: 2010 YELLOW SS
Time to start mine cuz its doing the same thing
Heyjezzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:59 AM   #53
kaseyb85
Keep Calm & Chive On

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS/RS CGM
Serious try the battery cable bridge that I posted. I rebuilt my motor two years ago and had the exact same thing you're talking about with yours.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2754
Size:  96.6 KB
Old 08-07-2016, 01:09 PM   #54
hazy

Well...installed some hex vents hoping it would get some of the heat out of the engine bay such that this problem stops...long story short, they do get the heat out, but issue still there. At Lowes right now waiting on the wire cutting person to show up so I can do this. Think imma get 2 gauge wire, instead of 4, but hopefully this will help. Will report back, hopefully with good news!!

Edit: literally cost $5 and took about 35 min to do. That cost also includes a fresh roll of electrical tape. Haven't tried to test it out yet, but even if it doesn't I'm only out a few bucks and a half hour of my life. Will post up pics in a bit

At first blush, I can definitely tell a difference in the starter, however haven't gotten everything nice and hot yet, so will report back tomorrow when I can test it out in heavy traffic, and air temps at/above 100*

Link to a few pics. Don't worry- I wrapped everything with electrical tape, and didn't just leave all the wires and shit exposed

https://imgur.com/a/a2U56

Last edited by hazy; 08-07-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:25 AM   #55
Subzero

Drives: Black 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazy View Post
Well...installed some hex vents hoping it would get some of the heat out of the engine bay such that this problem stops...long story short, they do get the heat out, but issue still there. At Lowes right now waiting on the wire cutting person to show up so I can do this. Think imma get 2 gauge wire, instead of 4, but hopefully this will help. Will report back, hopefully with good news!!

Edit: literally cost $5 and took about 35 min to do. That cost also includes a fresh roll of electrical tape. Haven't tried to test it out yet, but even if it doesn't I'm only out a few bucks and a half hour of my life. Will post up pics in a bit

At first blush, I can definitely tell a difference in the starter, however haven't gotten everything nice and hot yet, so will report back tomorrow when I can test it out in heavy traffic, and air temps at/above 100*

link to a few pics. Don't worry- I wrapped everything with electrical tape, and didn't just leave all the wires and shit exposed

https://imgur.com/a/a2U56
Nice job, but they make electrical connectors for larger gauge wire. I'd definitely replace your clamps with these:

http://www.lowes.com/pd/Blackburn-0-...Bolt/999922654

Let me know how it goes!
Subzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:22 AM   #56
hazy

Ahh excellent suggestion. Just used hose clamps, as that what was suggested in a previous post. If this fix seems to work, I will definitely do that. Thanks for the tip!