Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-13-2023, 07:50 AM   #1
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Tire Cracking Question

I know these are not pics of Camaro tires, but I know a lot of you guys on here also ride motorcycle. Have you ever seen anything like this? The rear tire on my bike has these cracks on both sides of the tire all the way around the entire tire. Would you replace this ASAP, or do you think it's not a huge issue. From what I can tell the cracks don't go even into the tread. The tires are the OEM tires on my 2018 bike, so they are what 5-6 years old.

Sorry for the pics rotated the wrong way. They are rotated correctly on my laptop... but when the are uploaded the site rotates them?? Not sure why.
Attached Images

jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 08:26 AM   #2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
My guess is likely an age issue. Motorcycle tires may have more natural rubber in them for performance, but that makes them age poorly.

Get rid of them. Not worth risking failure and injury. New tires are great for peace of mind. Good luck.
90503 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 08:46 AM   #3
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Replace them! I had a set of MPSS's on the rear of my Camaro that did that pretty much same thing. Went back to my tire shop, they took pics and sent them to Michelin and they said replace them, that it was "stress cracking".. Got a brand new set for free!! And I do take care of my tires just like I do my Camaro. For YOUR safety and the bike, I would get them replaced ASAP... Not worth injury or damage..
Old 09-13-2023, 08:55 AM   #4
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Replace them! I had a set of MPSS's on the rear of my Camaro that did that pretty much same thing. Went back to my tire shop, they took pics and sent them to Michelin and they said replace them, that it was "stress cracking".. Got a brand new set for free!! And I do take care of my tires just like I do my Camaro. For YOUR safety and the bike, I would get them replaced ASAP... Not worth injury or damage..
I did end up contacting Dunlap, but ya, I was thinking it was stress cracks. I have contacted my local HD Shop about getting new tires, but I did want to verify what it was that is happing to that tire. It might detour me from getting the same Dunlap tire and going another brand.
Old 09-13-2023, 08:59 AM   #5
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
I would never leave tire on a motorcycle more than about 3 years. Of course back when I was riding we were wearing out the edges of the tires a lot faster than the middle.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 09:01 AM   #6
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
I would never leave tire on a motorcycle more than about 3 years. Of course back when I was riding we were wearing out the edges of the tires a lot faster than the middle.
There are a lot of factors that would go into a decision like that. Even the motorcycle tire manufactures don't suggest replacing them that soon. If you are wearing them down that fast, that's a different story.
Old 09-13-2023, 09:12 AM   #7
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Of course it depends on how hard you are pushing traction. We were pushing them to the limit.

We were wearing out "sport" tires in about 1000 miles, sometimes less, sport touring might make it 2000. With sport tires, I would get a 4 day trip in the mountains plus hopefully a few miles around town before the next trip, then new tires as we got prepared for the next trip. Occasionally we had to worry about not making it a full trip.

Michelin recommends regular inspection for distress after 5 years.
"3. Tires show signs of aging
It is difficult to predict a tire's lifespan because it bears no relation to its manufacturing date. Tires that have never been used, or have only been used infrequently, may still show signs of aging. Many factors can affect their lifespan: weather conditions, storage and usage conditions, load, speed, tire pressure, maintenance, riding style, and so on.

Michelin recommends that all riders regularly spend some time inspecting their tires to pick up on any external signs of aging or wear, such as deformations or cracks in the tread, on the shoulders or sides.
You should also have your tires checked by a professional who can assess if they should be replaced or not.

The 5 year test… before it's too late!

After 5 years or more of use, tires should be examined every year by a professional mechanic. If the tires need to be changed, follow the manufacturer's recommendations with regard to replacing original components. As a precaution, all tires that have not been replaced after ten years should be changed, even if they appear to be in a generally good condition and have not reached their tread wear limit."
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 10:31 AM   #8
jamala00

Getting new tires on Tues... Thx for the responses...
Old 09-13-2023, 11:37 PM   #9
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
I have had those same exact lines show up in my rear dunlop on my Softail many years ago. It is some type of void in a seam. Was told by the dealer or a tech there that it was nothing abnormal. Wore it to a nub. No issues. I actually thought I had run something over and sliced it until I saw there were multiple instances of it.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 04:59 AM   #10
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
I have had those same exact lines show up in my rear dunlop on my Softail many years ago. It is some type of void in a seam. Was told by the dealer or a tech there that it was nothing abnormal. Wore it to a nub. No issues. I actually thought I had run something over and sliced it until I saw there were multiple instances of it.
Ahh, that is good to know because there is still a lot of tread on that tire. Do you recall by chance how old your tire was when that happened and how long you continued to ride on it like that?
Old 09-14-2023, 09:27 AM   #11
chevy pilot

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS A6
Age and sun.
chevy pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 09:38 AM   #12
jamala00

Actually been doing a lot of reading on this, but came across this YouTube video and it's actually really informative.