Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 10-10-2023, 09:20 PM   #1
AlisoBob

Drives: Camaro 2SS Gen 5
2015 2SS HID headlights..... are TERRIBLE

So, what gives? I saw on my window sticker that my Gen 5 2015 2SS has factory HID headlights..... but it's terrible. I did my first night drive tonight, and was shocked at how bad it is.

Light output and "focus" both leave allot to be desired.

Is this typical? How do I get awesome illumination?

Thanks in advance!!!
AlisoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 10:15 AM   #2
Tommi

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS manual
The factory HID:s have been great when new, but the reflecting surfaces go bad and and both output and focus go to toilet. You can replace the whole unit or retrofit new and better hid units to the original headlamp. I retfitted new hid units in my 2010 hid lamps and they have been great!
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 02:16 PM   #3
AlisoBob

Drives: Camaro 2SS Gen 5
I just installed some Osram "Night Breaker" bulbs..... problem solved. HUGE difference!!

https://www.osram.com/am/campaigns/nightbreaker.jsp

Thank you Tommi, for the suggestion.
Attached Images

AlisoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 02:58 PM   #4
Sales@Phastek

Drives: 2016 1SS
HID Bulbs

We offer the Diode Dynamics DS3 Bulbs. These are great replacement bulbs.
Old 10-16-2023, 03:49 PM   #5
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@Phastek View Post
We offer the Diode Dynamics DS3 Bulbs. These are great replacement bulbs.
These are definitely the best!!!
Old 10-16-2023, 08:32 PM   #6
Camaro2ss2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
These are definitely the best!!!
Second this
ECS supercharger, custom ground cam, ported throttle body, long tube headers, aeromotive fuel pump, fic injectors, ATI super damper, Corsa Extreme exhaust, elite engineering catch can and many other things.
Camaro2ss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 03:36 PM   #7
Eddymel1998

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99
Headlights have always been weird to me, I don't think I've turned high beams on in any car I've driven for better part of a decade, but I guess I only maybe see half a dozen deer a year and drive at night mostly just in the winter when it gets dark before I go home. Have actually had the opposite problem, especially with newer cars where just standard lights are enough to blind you, especially if you're driving on a hilly road and the car behind you crests and flashbangs you with their low pointed lights, my favorite is when someone is driving behind you and you can see the shadow of your car in your headlights in front. Buying aftermarket lights also becomes a whole thing because each one just advertised how much brighter they are while I just want to maintain same brightness maybe change the color temp and that's it. Anyways that was my yelling at clouds moment, funny enough when I bought my Camaro I was surprised that my old HID lights were better then the car I drove beforehand, lol.
Old 11-01-2023, 04:48 PM   #8
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
I just installed some Osram "Night Breaker" bulbs..... problem solved. HUGE difference!!

https://www.osram.com/am/campaigns/nightbreaker.jsp

Thank you Tommi, for the suggestion.

What style halogen lamp did you go with? H1, H4 or H7? and how much are the set of bulbs going for? Website doesn't indicate and says to contact them. If these are replaceable without removing the bumper to take off the headlights to access through the rear then that's great! I did that once taking apart the headlights to fix my Halo issues. Been putting off the halogen bulb replacement for awhile now. I have the custom bracket for the the Morimoto HID retrofit and just haven't done it yet.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 09:33 PM   #9
SummitWhite11

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
So, what gives? I saw on my window sticker that my Gen 5 2015 2SS has factory HID headlights..... but it's terrible. I did my first night drive tonight, and was shocked at how bad it is.

Light output and "focus" both leave allot to be desired.

Is this typical? How do I get awesome illumination?

Thanks in advance!!!

Sent you a PM since I haven't heard back from you with a response. Hope to hear from you soon on what choice bulb you went with.

ZL1 Appearance package, Flow Master American Thunder Cat Back Exhaust w/ QUAD TIPS, K&N Typhoon CAI, Ported VMAX TB, OEM GM Brembo Brakes Package w/ Hawks Carbon Ceramic Pads, Night Owl Halo Kit (WIFI), FRONT/REAR Carbon Fiber Wrapped Bowties, Rear Oracle Blue LED Bowtie, Oracle Ghosted Painted Side LED Markers, Silver Side Faded Gills, OEM Satin Camaro Fuel Door, OEM Strut Tower Brace, Detroit Speed Engineering 1.5" Lowering Springs, Koni Orange STR.T Struts, Z28 rear LCA's, Black Magic rear 32" sway bar, 1LE front sway bar w/ DSE end links. Evil Energy Catch Can.
SummitWhite11 is offline   Reply With Quote