Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 06-29-2011, 06:36 PM   #99
badazss
SS-500HP

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
Send a message via AIM to badazss Send a message via Yahoo to badazss
hi there
i tapped into the yellow and black wire for the traction control
what also is nice is they dim when you dim the abls and they only come on when the lights come on i am adding more and when i have it dont i will post the pics
Denny
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103089
badazss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:33 PM   #100
RSokie
Proud owner of Litho #195

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by badazss View Post
hi there
i tapped into the yellow and black wire for the traction control
what also is nice is they dim when you dim the abls and they only come on when the lights come on i am adding more and when i have it dont i will post the pics
Denny
Very cool I cannot wait and see it, it looks great on the water bottles!
RSokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #101
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
I'm getting ready to buy the lights and plate to do this mod. Do the LEDs on the Oznium website come with enough wire to tap into the yellow wire under the traction control button or do I need to order some extra?

Thanks for posting this mod. It looks great.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #102
Yellow_Glide

Drives: 2011 1LT "Chakita". 04 Yota
The surface mounts do. I did mine this weekend and the leads on each LED are ~36".

Build thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3847083

Last edited by Yellow_Glide; 07-17-2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: mispelled word....
Yellow_Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:49 AM   #103
Darth_Emma

Thanks. I'll order them today.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #104
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
length is just right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Thanks. I'll order them today.
The wire length is just right.Enough to reach the connection point and enough to tuck up behind the carpet.
Finished mine last night and I tell you it looks super.I did follow the other guys suggestion and attached the LEDs to the bottom of the plate facing down to allow the light to stay in the cup well and not radiate all around the outside the well.Also used two small tabs of Velcro on the bottom front of the plate and also on the bottom of the front of the well.Works perfectly.Pretty easy install except if you have big fingers like me.Tight fit t-tapping the yellow and black wire in the traction control area.Other than that-piece of cake.Install and enjoy.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:58 PM   #105
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
Actually the ABL wire is Purple and Black. The Yellow and Black is the instrument panel lighting.

The difference being that ABL can be shut off when the lighting is dimmed to its lowest level. The Instrument panel can't.

The Traction control switch is a good spot for the yellow/black IP lighting. If you want the feature lighting, you'll want to go under the passenger kick panel, and tap the purple wire there.
Does anybody have a photo of exactly where this ABL wire is under the passenger kick panel? I don't want to tap the wrong wire.

Also, do those of you who tapped the yellow instrument panel lighting find the cup holder lights to be too bright when driving at night. This seems easier than tapping the ABL lighting, but I don't want the light to be too bright when driving at night.

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:29 PM   #106
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Its a large 54 pin connecter on the side of the body under the cover and you need pin 32 its the power to your door panels.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #107
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Its a large 54 pin connecter on the side of the body under the cover and you need pin 32 its the power to your door panels.
Thanks Ofer. Will a red t-tap work for this wire?

I looked at some pictures and it looks like there is more than one purple wire in the bundle under the passenger kick panel. I just want tap the correct one.
Old 07-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #108
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Yes it will work, on this connecter there are 2 purple wire one for ABL and one for "convertible top open switch" (But you dont have a convertible so it want be there).
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:31 PM   #109
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Yes it will work, on this connecter there are 2 purple wire one for ABL and one for "convertible top open switch" (But you dont have a convertible so it want be there).
Thanks.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:02 PM   #110
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
Anyway! You Will Surely Love It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
Does anybody have a photo of exactly where this ABL wire is under the passenger kick panel? I don't want to tap the wrong wire.

Also, do those of you who tapped the yellow instrument panel lighting find the cup holder lights to be too bright when driving at night. This seems easier than tapping the ABL lighting, but I don't want the light to be too bright when driving at night.

Thanks.
I tapped the traction control light switch and with the LEDS installed on the bottom side of the plate you have a real soothing light source.Not too bright (just right) and the light will not scatter beyond the cup holder.
Another upside is the cup holder light comes on at dark and turns off during daylight,on when you open the door at night.The light does not radiate beyond the cup holder wells thru the edges of the plate like some pics appear that are hooked too the dash abl that appear to be on the too bright side with the light scattered out of the surrounding edges of the plate.But to each his own.Try one way and not much labor to do it the other way if you don't like it the first way.
Anyway you do it you are sure to like it. I love mine !!!!!!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:03 PM   #111
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
I got this mod done today. Took about 15min's to do. I must say I got the plate of Ebay as suggested and I did the 'Make An Offer' route and got the plate total with ship for $56.94. Oznium.com is where I get all my LEDs from anyway so nothing new there.

Anyway, this is a great mod and one I've been wanting to have for some time now. I also took some velcro and placed it at the front corners and rear so the plate would have some way of being fixed and locked in place and no worries of it rattling. I have a thing about noises, squeaks and rattles. LOL

Also I like how these also come on with the courtesy lights and fade to black but are on with the lights. The tap into the Traction Control is a great place and and keeps it all tight and concealed in one spot.

Thanks again for the info on this mod! Darth Emma, I apologize for not getting around to seeing you on Saturday! I saw you coming into the lot when I was directing your group in but with trying to oversee it all, keeping the peace and making sure most were happy with what we were trying to do, I just couldn't keep up. I ended up suffering from heat exhaustion after everyone had pulled out heading to Hooter's. I was the last man standing at the Kohls lot and getting cars back to the dealership etc.... maybe next time.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #112
FSUCamaro

Drives: 2011 Summit White LS
For everyone who wants a colored cup holder, here is a site, its a little more $ and a little different style, but it should still work, and comes in all colors...

Im hoping to get white to match my white interior trim

http://westcoastcamaro.com/p-684-201...m-painted.aspx

MY Build: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160486
FSUCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote