Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 10:18 PM   #57
TomServo

Drives: 2007 Z06
The only "Z" I would buy is a Z06 or ZR1.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:28 PM   #58
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
So your argument is there is a conspiracy to spread false times for 350z's?

isnt he just saying those times were on modded cars?........
Old 04-28-2009, 11:23 PM   #59
levi1922

Drives: 2LT RS CGM
haha,
gator, you will stand up for your imports till the end wont you?
Old 04-29-2009, 12:06 AM   #60
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
For $37K I'd expect to get a real motor, not some pile of crap out of a Nissan Maxima.
The VQ series engines have made Ward's Top 10 14 out of the last 15 years. Calling it crap is crazy.

I drove one aggressively when I worked at a dealership, I thought if felt just fine. Nothing crazy or worth complaining about. Corvettes have always sounded like crap because of their y pipe's and you don't find too many complaints on those even though they are $50+ k cars.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:46 AM   #61
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_chef View Post
isnt he just saying those times were on modded cars?........
Yea he is. But those numers are for stock cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levi1922 View Post
haha,
gator, you will stand up for your imports till the end wont you?

I have nothing against them. Ill stand up for the better car everytime no matter what that may be.

Its nice to think Americans build all the best cars, but its ignorant.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
Old 04-29-2009, 06:36 AM   #62
DDA_Skull

Drives: 88 Jeep Wrangler, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
And a Cobalt SS will get raped by a used STi for 5k less than that.
Lol you can't keep saying. "Oh yeah, well this car would get raped by this other car that costs less used." Its more of a general comparison between walking out the door with a new car. Cause a used Corvette would rape the STI.

See its just a game. Alot of people like to play it too.
A kid at my work wanted the new camaro, but instead decided to buy a older used one for $10k. All he could say to me is, "With an extra 5k into this car i will be able to kick your ass." I could serously care less, I'm buying the new Camaro for its looks, and its badassiness. If thats even a word. LOL

Old 04-29-2009, 06:47 AM   #63
DDA_Skull

Drives: 88 Jeep Wrangler, 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Yea he is. But those numers are for stock cars.

I have nothing against them. Ill stand up for the better car everytime no matter what that may be.

Its nice to think Americans build all the best cars, but its ignorant.
The only point people are trying to make is that you keep going back to the 07 STI. Its better, we get it. You will just need to ask them why they decided to make the new ones worse? Its just a normal comparison you see everyday. A cheaper car, that performs better then the more expencive one in most tests. Corvette= Perfect Example.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:03 AM   #64
Phenix

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS/RS 1LE
One thing people need to remember is that cars are not all about the numbers (I know, I know- I posted a pure numbers comparison earlier). There's so much more going on that comes down to personal preference- driving feel, exterior, interior, brand loyalty etc. The problem you get on most forums is people think the cars they like are the best ever made and that the competitors are POS. Sitting here and comparing 1/4 mile times and 0-60 times won't tell you which is a better car. You can always find numbers on a car that you can say 'car X is better than car Y because...' For example, the Cobalt SS is better than the Camaro because it's way cheaper and can easily be modded to run with it in the 1/4. Or the Jetta is better because it has a more useable backseat. If it was all about trap speeds and ETs we'd all be squeezing LS motors in Ariel Atoms...
Old 04-29-2009, 11:58 AM   #65
GatorBlue371

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDA_Skull View Post
Lol you can't keep saying. "Oh yeah, well this car would get raped by this other car that costs less used." Its more of a general comparison between walking out the door with a new car. Cause a used Corvette would rape the STI.

See its just a game. Alot of people like to play it too.
A kid at my work wanted the new camaro, but instead decided to buy a older used one for $10k. All he could say to me is, "With an extra 5k into this car i will be able to kick your ass." I could serously care less, I'm buying the new Camaro for its looks, and its badassiness. If thats even a word. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDA_Skull View Post
The only point people are trying to make is that you keep going back to the 07 STI. Its better, we get it. You will just need to ask them why they decided to make the new ones worse? Its just a normal comparison you see everyday. A cheaper car, that performs better then the more expencive one in most tests. Corvette= Perfect Example.

First off i feel obligated to point out that a Chevy Fanboy started this by trying to say the Cobalt SS is better than the 350z, which is a obvious error.

Second, the STi is better. Hell id take the new slower and dulled down STi over the Cobalt just because it looks better, sounds better, and has better build quality.

Used cars are a better value than new cars, so really if you want to pay 10k-15k more for updated (not always better) looks and a warranty which will keep you from having the max amount of fun with your car than thats great, good for you.

As for the Corvette... ya it probably would. But that didnt get brought into the conversation due to it being priced WAY outside the price range. Wasn't quite Logical.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
Old 04-29-2009, 12:34 PM   #66
Design1stCode2nd

Drives: four wheels
The New Cobalt SS is a good car for its price. I just wouldn't own a FWD car that has performance intentions. Have you sat in a Cobalt? Not really a quality environment when compared to its competition, Mazda 3, Civic, or even Focus.

You can say XYZ car is faster than a Porsche Boxster and XXXXX cheaper but it doesn't make it the better car.

You can take any old used car say an Evo IX and make it a giant slayer with $20k in mods that will trash a new M3 or 911. I'd still buy the M3 because in the end it's still just a really fast Lancer. (Same goes for my STI.)

For these kinds of comparisons it’s probably just best to stick with magazine racing because there are plenty of times the slower or more poorly performing car gets purchased. People like what they like.

For some reason I don’t really like the Corvette, it’s an amazing machine and wonderful performance for the price but it just doesn’t do anything for me. I’d rather have new/used Camaro SS, TT-S, S5, M3, Z4M, 370z, Elise, etc.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #67
GatorBlue371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design1stCode2nd View Post
The New Cobalt SS is a good car for its price. I just wouldn't own a FWD car that has performance intentions. Have you sat in a Cobalt? Not really a quality environment when compared to its competition, Mazda 3, Civic, or even Focus.

You can say XYZ car is faster than a Porsche Boxster and XXXXX cheaper but it doesn't make it the better car.

You can take any old used car say an Evo IX and make it a giant slayer with $20k in mods that will trash a new M3 or 911. I'd still buy the M3 because in the end it's still just a really fast Lancer. (Same goes for my STI.)

For these kinds of comparisons it’s probably just best to stick with magazine racing because there are plenty of times the slower or more poorly performing car gets purchased. People like what they like.

For some reason I don’t really like the Corvette, it’s an amazing machine and wonderful performance for the price but it just doesn’t do anything for me. I’d rather have new/used Camaro SS, TT-S, S5, M3, Z4M, 370z, Elise, etc.

Z4M or Elise FTW.

Driving an Elise feels like driving a small Airplane
Old 04-29-2009, 01:35 PM   #68
Wesman

Drives: Trans Am
Quote:
So your argument is there is a conspiracy to spread false times for 350z's?

Its the internet. People can post up whatever they want. Time slip or not, nobody knows if the car was stock. No mods available?? Ever heard of DR's or slicks??

Which is why I don't believe those times at all. Typical ricers trying to make their cars look faster than they are. Considering the weight and stock power of the car, its not happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EVIL TW1N
The VQ series engines have made Ward's Top 10 14 out of the last 15 years. Calling it crap is crazy.

I drove one aggressively when I worked at a dealership, I thought if felt just fine. Nothing crazy or worth complaining about. Corvettes have always sounded like crap because of their y pipe's and you don't find too many complaints on those even though they are $50+ k cars.
Corvettes sound like crap?? First of all, Corvettes sound excellent. Second of all, Corvette's don't use a Y-pipe. So apparently you were listening to the completely wrong vehicle. Never, ever have I read a review in which a negative comment was made about the Corvette's exhaust.

The VQ sounds like what it is...a naturally unbalanced, small displacement V6. Which is not a good thing to say the least. The best thing I can relate it to is a chainsaw on steriods. I've driven plenty myself, there is nothing good about the VQ. It doesn't do anything better than any other engine. Why have a rough V6 when you could have a world class V8 that makes more power and torque, sounds 10 times better, and gets the same fuel economy?? It makes no sense.

Last edited by Wesman; 04-29-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #69
Wesman

Drives: Trans Am
Quote:
First off i feel obligated to point out that a Chevy Fanboy started this by trying to say the Cobalt SS is better than the 350z, which is a obvious error.
Considering its faster and handles better, I'd say you're making the error, import fanboy.

Quality wise the Cobalt is better too. The Cobalt's interior is no benchmark of quality, but after being in the 350Z, even playskool toys seem like they have higher quality plastics.

Quote:
Second, the STi is better. Hell id take the new slower and dulled down STi over the Cobalt just because it looks better, sounds better, and has better build quality.
Looks are subjective. I'd say the Cobalt SS looks infinitely better than the new STI, which looks like an overweight hatchback blob with a suzuki grille. The new STi's are also not very good quality, transmissions are failing left and right.

Look at this Long term test from C&D, the car is falling aprt with issues. Basically its had an entirely new drivetrain and now they are having engines that the dealer can't seem to resolve. This is not an isolated incident either, many owners have reported the same problems:

C&D Long Term Test 2008 WRX STI

So much for your "superior import quality".
Old 04-29-2009, 02:25 PM   #70
JMM1181

Drives: '07 350z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
Its the internet. People can post up whatever they want. Time slip or not, nobody knows if the car was stock. No mods available?? Ever heard of DR's or slicks??

Which is why I don't believe those times at all. Typical ricers trying to make their cars look faster than they are. Considering the weight and stock power of the car, its not happening.
So according to you the Z is getting low 14's in the quarter mile yet with "DR's or Slicks' can manage to pull almost a full second off it's quarter mile time? What about these runs? Are you going to explain those ones away too? What do you do with the fact that various members are hitting 13.1's and 13.2's bone stock and there have been plenty of witnesses to the tracks to testify to that fact? Truth hurts, get over it, Cobalt's certainly a great value for the money but you cannot continue to say that stock it's 'faster' than a newer Z, compare any of the 'official' reviews and you'll come face to face, once again, with this hard truth. Have a nice day.

Closed Thread