Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

SDTW Custom Wheels & Tires
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #1
Whitefifthgen

Drives: White zl1
Newbie questions

Thinking about getting a zl1. Do they have alot of road noise? And how happy are you all after say 5000 miles. Do you still love your car? Reasons I ask is I have never had good luck with chevys. I love the zl1 and would like to know if chevy has gotten better with build quality etc. Thanks
Whitefifthgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #2
BPG
Faster than you...

Drives: 1194whp. 8.62@168. daily driver...
Road noise is pretty minimal, I actually don't think I've ever really noticed it at all. I haven't put 5k on it yet, but I smile every single time I put the key in. I can't see that changing. If the weather would get better...I'd be out driving instead of posting here.

You won't regret getting one.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
22,500 miles. Frickin awesome. I love driving it every day. I cannot, however, compare it to European cars like BMW's and what not especially in terms of road noise. Between my headers and the fact that I always listen to the radio, there is no noise from the car that is a bother. Definitely no wind noise. But up on the highway when a call comes in I have no problems carrying on a phone conversation, car is pretty quiet.

I'd say be real though. It's still a Camaro. It's probably much higher quality than the 80's for sure. But two complaints I hear a lot are plastic interior, and paint issues.

I'm concerned a hair. It's like this, when the C5 Corvette came out some douche that wanted to sound smart said to me it was a POS because you could feel the road in it. I don't know what kind of Cracker Jack prize import he was used to driving, but my response was "it's a sports car, you're supposed to feel the road." Kind of same with the ZL1, it's a muscle car, just make sure that's what you want, and if so, you will love it.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
TomF1

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitefifthgen View Post
Thinking about getting a zl1. Do they have alot of road noise? And how happy are you all after say 5000 miles. Do you still love your car? Reasons I ask is I have never had good luck with chevys. I love the zl1 and would like to know if chevy has gotten better with build quality etc. Thanks
Road noise was horrendous. You can hear every single piece of sand or gravel hitting the inner fenders or underbody. The sticky tires make this worse than normal. This is the 5th new Chevy I've owed and by far the noisiest. Maybe most don't notice it if they're used to muscle car noise, but I came from a very comfy MonteCarloSS.
I put soundproofing on all the fenders, floor, under the backseat and trunk. Then I put in a StealthBox Sub.
Now it's much better, but 100 lbs heavier. Highway for road trips is pretty comfy, engine/muffler is pretty quiet in high gear.

As for build quality, this is by far the best Chevy I've had. 10,500 Km's and I haven't been back to the dealer yet, for anything.
TomF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:03 PM   #5
CAM....ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF1 View Post
Road noise was horrendous. You can hear every single piece of sand or gravel hitting the inner fenders or underbody. The sticky tires make this worse than normal. This is the 5th new Chevy I've owed and by far the noisiest. Maybe most don't notice it if they're used to muscle car noise, but I came from a very comfy MonteCarloSS.
I put soundproofing on all the fenders, floor, under the backseat and trunk. Then I put in a StealthBox Sub.
Now it's much better, but 100 lbs heavier. Highway for road trips is pretty comfy, engine/muffler is pretty quiet in high gear.

As for build quality, this is by far the best Chevy I've had. 10,500 Km's and I haven't been back to the dealer yet, for anything.

Horrendous is a bit extreme wouldn't you say. I have a 12 z and don't really notice road noise per say, the rocks hitting the fenderwells yes
but not many people on here drive their babies in to many rocks.
Road noise comes from my 13 Jeep, Moab Edition. The Z is a church mouse in comparison. 11,000 mi. 9500 of them modded and no problems. hey but my wife says I love that damn car more than her. LOL
CAM....ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
diverkr

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I definitely noticed more noise driving my Z home right after I traded my SS. I attribute it to more rubber on the road.
diverkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
TomF1

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM....ZL1 View Post
Horrendous is a bit extreme wouldn't you say.
OK, Horrendous was over-stating it. It was really bad. Now with the soundproofing I put in, its down to just Bad. I turn up the radio.
TomF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:35 PM   #8
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
There is no drone as long as you don't go crazy on the exhaust. As far as road noise others are speaking of, I don't notice it as much, but the rocks in the wheel wells comes from the sticky tires. No way around that unless you want to compromise traction. This is a 580 hp camaro so you need to be realistic about it.

I have a '12 and have zero issues with build quality. I had it in for a rear end fluid change due to chatter around slow sharp corners, but the new fluid fixed it. Small price to pay, 30 minutes at the dealership, for an otherwise bullet proof rear end.

In the end its a camaro that can run down just about anything out there. If you are one to be nit picky about every minor detail and want anything close to this performance, you probably need to at least tripple your budget and buy something else. And then you'll still get run down by a $55k camaro with $2500 in mods.

2016 Silverado LTZ-Z71 Midnight Edition: 6.2L, 8 speed auto, Borla exhaust
Whos_Drivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
snapp32e

Drives: '81-Z28/'07-Tundra/'12-ZL1/'13-Jeep
I have to agree, the road noise is more than normal but what do you expect??? If quiet is what your after, perhaps the CTS-V is more down your alley. 10,000km with a fair amount of mods and no trouble yet. Can honestly tell you though, prior to mods I wasn't all that impressed with the cars power delivery but afterwards....a totally different beast.
ZL1 #612
snapp32e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 01:58 PM   #10
blessedhellride

Drives: 2014 Z/28; 2014 Ram 2500 CTD
road noise is bad on concrete roads, asphalt, not a problem, but not too bad, very manageable
Old 02-17-2014, 02:41 PM   #11
BPG
Faster than you...

Drives: 1194whp. 8.62@168. daily driver...
Maybe I've had a little too much .50cal fire, but I can't hear any "road noise". I had a Z06 before the ZL1 and it was pretty loud...
Old 02-17-2014, 02:53 PM   #12
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Yes it is noisy at times as stated dependent on the road surface. It's a 580HP car with sticky tires on it. You desire quiet buy the CTS-V. Much quieter than the ZL1.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #13
DonutSS

Drives: '12 ZL1 SIM ADM Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapp32e View Post
I have to agree, the road noise is more than normal but what do you expect??? If quiet is what your after, perhaps the CTS-V is more down your alley. 10,000km with a fair amount of mods and no trouble yet. Can honestly tell you though, prior to mods I wasn't all that impressed with the cars power delivery but afterwards....a totally different beast.
I agree with ctsV statement. Both cars are awesome but cts is much smoother and much more quiet. That's after driving both back to back.
automatic ADM Built 750hp - Sold Last seen tearing up the streets of Atlanta
DonutSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #14
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
6K miles on mine in 3 1/2 months and I love my car. As for the noise all I can say is it's not louder than my stereo so it's a non issue for me.

Oh ya, and I love my ZL. Really, really love it.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote