Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-21-2018, 12:21 PM   #29
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Sounds like I need to make it out to Michigan.

Everything I’ve seen even for a “novice” group track day says no cage no track time.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:37 PM   #30
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post

Everything I’ve seen even for a “novice” group track day says no cage no track time.
I lived in Michigan for 10 years, which shows their standards are pretty low if they let me in

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:33 PM   #31
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tiger View Post

Minimum requirements probably vary by track or perhaps state. New Jersey requires "rollover bars" without specifying 'cage'.

Norm
Old 09-21-2018, 01:37 PM   #32
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
5 years driving a jeep wrangler in the NE. This was a daily driver.

I eventually got sick of driving it with the soft top. It was drafty and noisy. Keep in mind the Wrangler is as aerodynamic as a brick, unlike the Camaro. Over the years, the hot weather also contributed to lessening enjoyment. It was too hot in the summer to have the top down.

It was nice driving it the first couple of years though. I will never get another vert.
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 02:00 PM   #33
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
All depends on what type of track event it is.
True with respect to parade laps - in most but not all places. Officially, speeds during parade laps are supposed to be held down to essentially highway speeds. Unofficially, maybe this isn't always the case.

Quote:
These were all casual track events, not true races. More than enough for me to enjoy the heck out of my convertible.

I have no doubt that for actual races, they would require a cage.
On the matter of "casualness" . . . don't confuse HPDE's non-competition nature with comparably lower risk.

HPDE events by definition aren't races and you're not supposed to be going any faster than what you're comfortable with. But that doesn't mean people don't crowd the limits of their cars' performance envelopes (and sometimes exceed them) once they've been signed off to run solo. There might not be much difference between HPDE lap times and lap times set by the same car and driver combination running in a real wheel-to-wheel race.

Norm
Old 09-21-2018, 02:03 PM   #34
Stormcloak
slower than you

Drives: 2012 C6 Z06
Never owned one, never had the desire for one. Limits track options greatly, adds maintenance / potential issues, and in some cases weight. I kind of regret my car even having a sunroof some days.

If I ever wanted convertible kicks, I'd just rent one for the day, lol.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:14 PM   #35
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
I love my vert but it's only a summer car. I got mine to replace my old Chyrsler vert that had died.

joe...
Old 09-21-2018, 03:30 PM   #36
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Soft tops are also more vulnerable to a pocketknife slice to burglarize it. Happened to me.
A ZL1, if you like hp then that is a definite yes. Convertible I agree with the consensus do yourself a favor spend the couple hundred renting any kind of convertible, Mustang 6 if that's what it is for at least several days. Take it to the errands where you park outside the store and see if the novelty wears off quick like it did for most of us. If it stays fun for you on the 3rd day top down then you'll know.

I also agree with the sunroof comment I rarely use mine on the 3 cars that have had them. My 2nd and 3rd gens had T-Tops which I wouldn't get again but I did enjoy occasionally, but once again hassle of removing them and replacing them on every stop.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:04 PM   #37
Taylortoons

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Level300 View Post
5 years driving a jeep wrangler in the NE. This was a daily driver.

I eventually got sick of driving it with the soft top. It was drafty and noisy. Keep in mind the Wrangler is as aerodynamic as a brick, unlike the Camaro. Over the years, the hot weather also contributed to lessening enjoyment. It was too hot in the summer to have the top down.

It was nice driving it the first couple of years though. I will never get another vert.
I drove several CJs and Wrangelrrs back in the day and only put on the soft top when it rained. My oldest son had a Wrangler for his first car and I stored the hard top in a warehouse. He preferred the top and doors off but kept the Bimini on most of the time.

There’s nothing like riding with the top down in the spring and fall. I try to keep a convertible in the stable for this reason alone.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:48 PM   #38
SSE14

Drives: 2014 Spring Special Edition SS Vert
I agree spring and fall are the best, but I love a vert. It's the best!
Old 09-21-2018, 10:54 PM   #39
KROLIS

Drives: 2017 2LT/RS & 2013 2LT/RS vert
Well living in GA, a vert is all year long. Thats what the heated seats are for.
Attached Images

KROLIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:20 AM   #40
Taylortoons

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Nice looking ride. Digging the contrast of the splitter and side skirts along with he roll bar. Really want to put one of those hoods on my car.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:34 AM   #41
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I tend to prefer coupes, but there is something to be said about how much fun a convertible can be. They have a unique profile with the top down, and romping on a hot v8 with the top down is a thrilling experience.

I say that if you have plenty of open roads where you live, you could get a convertible if its your preference.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:25 AM   #42
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
For suspension the verts have softer usually not so great for performance, add 300+ lbs for weight. Limit the amount you can store in the trunk and the back seat does not fold down for long loads. I had a 11 vert, was nice, cat loved to sleep on the roof, fun removing cat hair....treated top with Sunbrella to keep it viable and waterproof and easily washable after removing fur.....

And working outside a lot of the time,(even with short summers), for a daily it was a automatic....did not make life so wonderful getting even more sunburnt and its kind of what I chalk up to a phase. Lots of rain here...... Basically wife bitched hair was messed up had to drive with windows up higher speed road trips, cat loved it though. Its all in personal preference and your location, you would of course love the increase in power and being in SOCAL not a mod friendly place maybe the right decision for you. triple black not so fun to keep detailed.... Good Luck. Tonneau cover kind of an annoying thing...