Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Solo Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #29
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
My dads lumina never had a leak. It was 3.5 years old.and the stuff was brown and nasty. My car had a leaky intake gasket til the very first sign of a leak. I changed them. It was always nasty. This thread is the first time I have ever heard anything good about dexcool. What makes it "better" that the good green stuff??
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:47 PM   #30
revron

Drives: camaro 2lt rs auto silver
I had dex cool in my 98 vett and had it changed after the first 5 years and never had a problem, I sold the vett in late 07.

revron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:19 PM   #31
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '00 Silverado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
I've had dex cool in many cars, even some that didnt originally come with it for over 13 years. 2 things that will ruin Dexcool and your system

1. Mixing it with green stuff. NEVER EVER DO THIS

2. Air Leaks. If your system is leaky for a while it will gum up the dex cool. This is where it got its rep from because most people are lazy about their car maintenance. SO they have a small coolant leak, they leave it like they did the SEL and the BRAKE lights because people don't give a crap about their cars. The system breaks. Mechanic says "the Dex cool gummed it up" and there you have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Thats called a leaky cooling system.

My 2000 Corvette had Dexcool in it for 100k miles with no problems, 99 TA with 102k miles. I also put it in my 87 GN and 89 Turbo TA, ran COOLER and more consistent temperatures with it and no problems.

You must have had a leaky system as established in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkObsession View Post
Quoted for truth. Used to work as a mechanic and Dexcool is solid as long as you take care of your car.

Well, the 98 Grand Prix that I had with bad dexcool was less than 3 yrs old with I think 38,000 miles and there wasn't a damn thing wrong with that car it went to the dealer for all its scheduled maintenance. If it had a leak then no one found it and it didn't show it self when they changed out the bad dexcool. I've never had another failure with it, but then again I haven't waited 5 yrs to change it either. Maybe the dex cool that was in it was part of that class action back in the mid to late 90's who knows.
If I change out the dexcool for a universal substitute and they try to void my warranty than I guess we are gonna have ourselves on hell of a fight about it.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:27 PM   #32
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_GEN_SS View Post
Ok so I know this is an ongoing problem/rumor...

that Dexcool makes sludge in your motor .. eats.. corrodes... bad.
How much of this is true? If it were such an issue wouldnt GM start using some other fluid?

Some say that problems occur only after 5 years.. others say that the problems occur because directions call for it to be used with distilled water and are not followed.

What is the truth to all this?
I'm not reading down beyond this but, every mechanic I know including myself changes to green in every chevy they own. Its crap, sucks. My C6 vette and my Camaro do not run orange. Neither does my Escalade. My opinion is that Chevy gets kickbacks to run orange that will not screw your car up until they do not have to pay for it.
Huck1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #33
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERHAWK View Post
Well, the 98 Grand Prix that I had with bad dexcool was less than 3 yrs old with I think 38,000 miles and there wasn't a damn thing wrong with that car it went to the dealer for all its scheduled maintenance. If it had a leak then no one found it and it didn't show it self when they changed out the bad dexcool. I've never had another failure with it, but then again I haven't waited 5 yrs to change it either. Maybe the dex cool that was in it was part of that class action back in the mid to late 90's who knows.
If I change out the dexcool for a universal substitute and they try to void my warranty than I guess we are gonna have ourselves on hell of a fight about it.
I seriously doubt they can void your warranty for that. However I'm sure they probably have a test to see if it was clean coolant or if you mixed it somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck1974 View Post
I'm not reading down beyond this but, every mechanic I know including myself changes to green in every chevy they own. Its crap, sucks. My C6 vette and my Camaro do not run orange. Neither does my Escalade. My opinion is that Chevy gets kickbacks to run orange that will not screw your car up until they do not have to pay for it.
Considering GM developed Dex-cool in a partnership with Texaco I doubt they are getting kickbacks.

This site has some very useful info direct from the horses mouth:

http://www.imcool.com/articles/antif...l-macs2001.php

the cliff notes is basically that while Dex-cool lasts longer it requires more attention by the car owner to things like coolant level, leaks, etc. Its good reading.
1995 Volkswagen Golf Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #34
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERHAWK View Post
Well, the 98 Grand Prix that I had with bad dexcool was less than 3 yrs old with I think 38,000 miles and there wasn't a damn thing wrong with that car it went to the dealer for all its scheduled maintenance. If it had a leak then no one found it and it didn't show it self when they changed out the bad dexcool. I've never had another failure with it, but then again I haven't waited 5 yrs to change it either.
Here is what happened. The cause of the sludge is operating the vehicle with low coolant levels over long periods of time. Your car had a air leak in the system at some point most likely the cap causing these low levels of coolant. You would never know it. This exposes hot engine components to air and vapors, causing corrosion and contamination of the coolant with iron oxide particles and this is the sludge that everyone is talking about with dex-cool. Now you mentioned you never had a problem after that. Well, like you said, you didn't wait for long periods of time to allow anything to happen thus you prevented the problem from ocurring again.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #35
Russell James

Drives: two 5ths and a 1st
Cliff notes:

It was the cap. Camaros have better caps. Worry about something else.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #36
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockslam View Post
As a mechanic i saw many a dex-cool "sand" as we called it. Common to see it on systems that were leaking. When the dex-cool mixes with air inthe system it turns to a paste and would leave deposits in the intake/radiator/heater core. But as long as you keep it full and address leaks in a timely manner. You shouldn't have a problem. And the aluminum intakes did appear corroded/pitted where the paste was.

My same experience when I was working as a GM Tech...
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #37
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck1974 View Post
My experience is the exact opposite of yours. Of the techs I used to work with, I can't tell you of ONE that switched their dex-cool cars over to green.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #38
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '00 Silverado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
Here is what happened. The cause of the sludge is operating the vehicle with low coolant levels over long periods of time. Your car had a air leak in the system at some point most likely the cap causing these low levels of coolant. You would never know it. This exposes hot engine components to air and vapors, causing corrosion and contamination of the coolant with iron oxide particles and this is the sludge that everyone is talking about with dex-cool. Now you mentioned you never had a problem after that. Well, like you said, you didn't wait for long periods of time to allow anything to happen thus you prevented the problem from ocurring again.

NO actually a few months later I sold the Pontiac for a 4x4 SUV therefore no more problem.
If it had a leak then so be it. I would have hoped that the dealership mechanics would have said something about a coolant loss since it went in every 3000 miles for service which was less than every 3 months by my mileage vs. time calculation. I'm just saying that its a damn shame that this happened with such a new car is all. All the years I have been driving prior to dex cool and never had a problem. Then you get a unforseen leak with no evidence of same and the coolant goes to s--- that's just weak. I won't ever trust it and will change it out whenever I get a new vehicle.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #39
bummlb
{Insert witty title here}

Drives: 2011 2SS RS RY
I had a weak radiator cap on my '99 Grand Prix GTP that caused the sludge in the radiator. Traded it in on the SS.

No worries!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #40
Dans2SSCamaro

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS
Change it when you're supposed to and it's fine. I've had no problems with it. I'm driving a 99 Chevy Blazer every day with no problems.
Dans2SSCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #41
zandron263

Drives: 2011 2LT RS IOM Convertible
I had it in my 96 Silverado and a 2000 Blazer. Changed it at the recommended intervals and drove both trucks for 8 years and never had a problem.
zandron263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #42
Huck1974
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS
Guys, Orange eats things prematurely. It is fact. Been that way for years. If you want to run orange, run orange. I run green.

I don't care if it holds up longer etc. bla bla bla. If it eats my car, I do not want it.

You guys can do whatever you want.
Huck1974 is offline   Reply With Quote