Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-31-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Warranty Officially Voided

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM
Based on the information below - Please inform the customer that the Powertrain portion of the Vehicle Warranty is no longer in effect for the engine, transmission, driveline and rear axle on 2G1FT1EWXA9111238 due to the presence of non GM calibrations and equipment. The stresses resulting from the non GM calibrations and equipment were not validated by GM and therefore be warranted on any components that are subject to those stresses.
Repairs to components below should not be covered under the terms of the new vehicle warranty. I have informed the group and VISS will be updated accordingly
This came into my service manager at the dealership. Pretty broad language and CLEARLY a violation of Magnusson Moss...voiding the entire power train warranty and ALL parts...even when the modifications would not affect certain parts.

Where this started:

I received a 'Low Oil Pressure' warning on the DIC and had the car towed to the dealership.

I began reviewing the error and found information here regarding the oil pump and found information on "PIP4158C: Low Oil Pressure Due To Seized Oil Pressure Relief Valve - (Dec 29, 2009)". (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...l+pressure+low)

I called Vengeance and they said that it's now standard for them to replace the oil pump as a precautionary measure due to this known issue...unfortunately my car was modified prior to this becoming a well know issue.

The service manager at the dealership is doing his job and following direction per GM...I do not fault the dealer. And let me be clear...if I had a block failure, piston failure, rocker failure, timing chain failure, etc...I would not begrudge GM for not covering the repair...I would not even SOLICIT the repair.

However, when a part that has a KNOW issue FAILS and that part was unaffected by the modifications that were performed....well...then I have an issue.

Thankfully the faulty GM oil pump with the known issue did not cause additional damage to the motor.

Does anyone have experience going to bat on a Magnusson-Moss claim? If so...a PM would be appreciated.

Anyone who replies with a 'you've got to pay to play' either has not read the full post or does not understand my point. If I failed to explain it properly, I apologize.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057

Last edited by themossman; 03-31-2011 at 08:14 PM.
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Gotta pay to play right?

I read it. That sucks bad. Sorry.

I'm just having fun with you.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
Dr. manhattan

Drives: 2011 camaro z/28
what mods did you have done? i am guessing you had a tune?
Dr. manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I'm sorry to hear that. Your car sounds awesome. I've admired it since I heard your idle video with your camshaft... Is there any way to prove that the oil pump did not have to work harder even if the engine is producing more HP and torque? I'd start with proving that your tune did not affect the oil pump's input and output characteristics. If it is mechanically driven, then I'd say you're SOL. But if it's electronically driven, then you should be able to point out what part of the ECU controls the oil pump and what part was modified.

OH BTW, if there is a TSB, I think the dealer can still fix it. At least they can verify if the TSB applies to your problem. If it doesn't you'll probably have to pay for the exploratory work whether or not it actually gets repaired by the dealer.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
ADV.1 Matt

Drives: N/A
Sucks man. I had a similar issue and tried to bring Magnusson Moss act into it (not with Chevy) - basically the dealer can jerk you around any way they please and they don't really care about the Magnus act at all.

I ended up having to get a lawyer involved before they were willing to budge on their position.
ADV.1 Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:02 PM   #6
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
That's what I've been trying to tell people who throw the magnuson moss act out there. It's a law but you have to prove it, and I bet GM has a team of lawyers that will eat alive any lawyer you were to aquire to "prove" it. It's pointless. If you're going to tune your warranty is shot just as the original poster has found out and you can't do a damn thing about it.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
ipimpthisc
Banned

Drives: @twinturbo, cammed, intrcooled@
Send a message via AIM to ipimpthisc
dont u hate this, u spend good money and get shitted on,,,man i hope this works out for u
ipimpthisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
cab2g
love. my. car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV.1 Matt View Post
Sucks man. I had a similar issue and tried to bring Magnusson Moss act into it (not with Chevy) - basically the dealer can jerk you around any way they please and they don't really care about the Magnus act at all.

I ended up having to get a lawyer involved before they were willing to budge on their position.
Unfortunately, with something as minor as replacing an oil pump, your legal fees will most likely outweigh the cost to repair. Lawyers run from $150/hr to hundreds or thousands. So good luck keeping any legal action under a few hours.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Man, sorry to hear.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:05 PM   #10
Grandeos
Automotive Designer

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3)
We need to recruit some lawyers to join this forum.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:06 PM   #11
themossman
Apprehensive Optimist

Drives: '10 SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
Unfortunately, with something as minor as replacing an oil pump, your legal fees will most likely outweigh the cost to repair. Lawyers run from $150/hr to hundreds or thousands. So good luck keeping any legal action under a few hours.
Cost to repair is estimated by dealer at ~$1400.
Engine:Phase One-(All work by Vengeance Racing): Custom Cam, AR Headers, ported throttle body, ported intake, custom tune, dual valve springs, hardened push rods, under drive pulley, thermostat, Vararam CAI, C5R timing chain, Melling oil pump catch can, breather, MagnaFlow Sport Axle Back
Suspension: Pfadt Sport Sway Bars, Pfadt drop springs
Other: MGW Shifter, Custom Paint
my build journal ---->http://camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30057
themossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:11 PM   #12
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Not to thread jack, but I took my car to Vengeance for a cam. Ron highly suggested changing the oil pump when he did the cam, this was before the TSB. I said ok but thought why would I do this but trusted his judgement. Man I am so glad I did.

I am sorry to hear about your motor issues. Do you know what cause you motor failure?
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:11 PM   #13
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
However, when a part that has a KNOW issue FAILS and that part was unaffected by the modifications that were performed....well...then I have an issue.
Not at all uncommon. Mazda raked me over the coals with our 04 RX-8 back in 07 on engine issues that was a warm climate epidemic with the oil cooling design, primarily on the automatics and a few manuals. I had all of my oil change receipts except for two. Warranty denied and I was on my own.

The Magnuson Moss Act is worth as much as the 35 year old paper it was written on. Go waving that around and say the word lawyer and see how far that gets you. The majority of dealers will take that as a legal action and not talk to you anymore, only through lawyers.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 01:12 PM   #14
cab2g
love. my. car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themossman View Post
Cost to repair is estimated by dealer at ~$1400.
Well You can probably get it done for cheaper @ another shop, since your warranty is already voided. Get an estimate somewhere else. I know it's a huge chunk of change, but I got a lawyer for a $3600 dispute, the lawyer ended up costing me $2400 and the dispute got settled for $250 less. So I ended up paying much more. There is no guarantee that the lawyer will actually get GM to do any work. But you may be able to go to small claims court and represent yourself. At least that way at most you'll only be out a couple hundred dollars in court fees.