Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 05-26-2009, 12:20 AM   #1
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Avoid skip shift in the break-in?

I was thinking it's probably a good idea to avoid skip shift situations and would even be safer to rack up more highway miles than lot of shifting to seat the clutch.

I think it's possible that skip shift is messing up the normal break in because you go from 1st to 4th and that is NOT even good for your drivetrain.

Remember the person that got number 4 I think was saying they smelled something and the clutch was burnt a bit. At first I was like Omg stop burning out. But what if skip shift did it?
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:46 AM   #2
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
I was thinking it's probably a good idea to avoid skip shift situations and would even be safer to rack up more highway miles than lot of shifting to seat the clutch.

I think it's possible that skip shift is messing up the normal break in because you go from 1st to 4th and that is NOT even good for your drivetrain.

Remember the person that got number 4 I think was saying they smelled something and the clutch was burnt a bit. At first I was like Omg stop burning out. But what if skip shift did it?

i really doubt that, skip shift has been around for years it's nothing new

if he burn the clutch it was probably just him getting used to a new car and im sure no real damage was done

and how is it bad on the drivetrain? what do you think it puts too much load on it cuz it doesn't it only kicks in below 2000 rpms at around 12-15mph so there isn't much load there. and if there was a good amount of load like say your going up a steep hill it wouldn't do it anyways because it only works in low load situations
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
It's been put on high power rear wheel drive before? What vehicle?

How is it bad? It forces you to bypass gear stepping. When you engage into 4th at low speeds the amount of force on the engine is a lot more because your tossing a higher gear at it. This puts a lot more stress on the components.

This might be ok for a prius with a 1 liter and front wheel drive but not a 400 HP 350 in my opinion. I do understand that it is conditional but really no one should be telling you how to shift your car. When they make your payment then they can tell you not to shift into second.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:59 AM   #4
Thwick

Drives: 2007 Cobalt SS/SC
Quote:

How is it bad? It forces you to bypass gear stepping. When you engage into 4th at low speeds the amount of force on the engine is a lot more because your tossing a higher gear at it. This puts a lot more stress on the components.

This might be ok for a prius with a 1 liter and front wheel drive but not a 400 HP 350 in my opinion. I do understand that it is conditional but really no one should be telling you how to shift your car. When they make your payment then they can tell you not to shift into second.
The way i've understood it is that the extra power is the reason this is possible. you couldnt do a 1-4 shift on a little 4 cylinder because there isnt enough torque and it would stall out.

And they kind of are making part of the payment for you... by saving you a $2,000 gas tax.

But like its been said before on here, its about $20(?) to get rid of it, and it saved $2,000 in gas guzzler tax.
Thwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
Skip shift is nothing new. Even Corvettes come with it.

Going into 4th gear at 1200 RPMs does nothing to the engine. It feels weird because its not natural and optimum for power but its perfectly fine. Even at that low of RPM the car is still making around 250 tq and around 150 HP which is plenty of power to keep the car moving.

The guy that smelled clutch said that he was hot rodding around and trying to use launch control and didnt do it right.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
the clutch burning smell was by Embalmer... he was messing around with the launch control.
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:

vettes have it 4th gens have it

you are completely wrong the more power you have the easier it is on the engine

it will not put anymore stress on the engine or tranny, if it was to put any stress at all it would be on the mounts and thats it. but don't go running off saying its gonna **** up your mounts because its not the lil bit of stress on them is far less than a normal start.

what your saying "gear stepping" is bad have you ever looked into gear ratios
overdrive is a pretty good step so i guess thats not only saving you gas but ****ing up your engine by turning lower rpms. because we all know low rpms are so bad

have you ever driven a manual before???? hell for that matter have you ever worked on a car
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
91CamaroRS

Drives: Toyota Corolla, Ford Edge
Skip shifting just feels all wrong!
91CamaroRS is offline   Reply With Quote