Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
I Wake Up to the Sounds of Screaming...

So I got home and went to sleep this morning at about 11:30am or so. It's now 3:20pm. I worked a whole night last night, extra hours this morning, and work tonight. So needless to say I am/was tired.

Anyway, I woke up to screaming today. I heard a noise and I was so groggy that I couldn't figure out what it was. There was some beating on my bedroom window that got louder and louder as I came around. But eventually I snapped out of it and hauled out of the bedroom, grabbed my keys, and rushed outside.

I don't know if it my brain screaming at me or if I actually heard my car crying out for help, but it was being pelted by millions of tiny ice balls (hail) and laying helplessly in the driveway. I quickly jumped in, drove down the block, and parked under a large tree.

As the storm let up, I drove the car back with my head down, and sick to my stomach imagining what damage might await me. It's still raining so I wont be able to get a look at it just yet. But I imagine I'm looking at a few hundred tiny craters all over the car.

Any ideas on what I might do to repair this? I for one plan on cleaning out the garage THIS WEEK to fit this car in there so this never happens again. I felt like curling up in the yard and doing this

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #2
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
So sorry to hear this!

Depending on the severity of the damage I would call your insurance company. If its one or two tiny dents (like the size of the tip of a pen) on the roof I wouldnt bother fixing it.

If it looks like a shotgun hit it..then I would turn it into your insurance and get your car fixed good as new! Dont be shocked if your insurance company raises hell with you for storing it exposed.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
slacker
Troubled 40 something

Drives: 2010 IOM RS/SS M6
If they were small, they probably didn't do any damage. It takes about golf ball size to really start messing things up from my experience.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker View Post
If they were small, they probably didn't do any damage. It takes about golf ball size to really start messing things up from my experience.
If only we were all so lucky!

My classmate had a 02 Camaro SS ruined by hail the size of a pea. And I do mean ruined, the insurance company totalled it.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker View Post
I'd put them between ping pong ball and marble size (somewhere in between). They were hitting my window like crazy and I was expecting to go outside and find the windshields caved in. I moved it rather quick under a big tree (like a Weeping Willow... fitting the circumstances, I know). I didn't even grab my house keys and left my house unlocked.

I'll be able to see if I'm dealing with any issues in an hour or so when the rain lets up and I can get some light on the paint.

Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
Old 08-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
Camaro8810

Drives: Black 2010 2LT RS
Damn that sucks man. Hopefully the damage is minimal if any. We had a storm like that last year and Its what prompted me to clean out the garage after I bought my car. Fingers are crossed for you bud. One Black Camaro owner to another. Keep us posted.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
wow, that sux, hopefully there is no damage.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:52 PM   #8
slacker
Troubled 40 something

Drives: 2010 IOM RS/SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTomcat View Post
If only we were all so lucky!

My classmate had a 02 Camaro SS ruined by hail the size of a pea. And I do mean ruined, the insurance company totalled it.
Ouch. I hope it works out for the OP.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:53 PM   #9
Lauryn200
I Pity The Fool

Drives: Jeep Wrangler '06 & VW GTI 09
Hopefully it won't be too bad
Lauryn200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:56 PM   #10
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
I would also try and find out how your car was screaming. That's some freaking ish!

good luck to ya.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:04 PM   #11
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
I would also try and find out how your car was screaming. That's some freaking ish!

good luck to ya.
Actually, find out why the car didn't just transform and walk over to a shaded area.

Seriously now, OP, I hope you find nothing wrong with your car other than needing a wash. Goodluck.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #12
RipperFox
Grrr!!!

Drives: BLK/IOM '11 2SS/RS
John, go over there and pick out your own switch...
3. See rule #1
RipperFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #13
VictoryMuscleCars

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS RS Convert
Dang what a bummer. Looking forward to hearing good news once the rain passes through.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #14
John Shields
"Back in Black"

This is all payback because I washed my car. I washed it a few days ago and just earlier this morning was saying how nice it's been and for the first time ever, it didn't rain within 24 hours of washing the car. Of course less than 10 hours later, it pours and hails. Mother Nature needs a serious ass whooping. It's still raining so I'll inform you guys when I get the first chance. I may have to garage it at work and check under the lights there if the rain keeps up.

Tags
damage, hail