Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 08-03-2014, 04:53 AM   #1
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Anyone running 3:70 gears in their A6 vert?

Anyone with an A6 vert with 3:70 gears? I am interested to find out your overall satisfaction and how much it hurt your highway mileage at 70mph.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
marsmann

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Vert M6
Is this for a V6, or V8?

My guess would be on the top end you would increase by a few hundred rpms only. So without doing any math if your car does, for example, 1900 rpms at 65mph it might do something like 2200rpms, in 6th gear, at 65mph. That is merely an educated guess. Not a very big sacrifice honestly to go taller and probably only minimal impact to the overall driveability and economy, but you would see more torque for sure. Which do you have now? 3.27? It would help to know from what starting point you are at if we are going to include math into it.

As far as I can remember, since I haven't had to refer to this recently, the M6 SS has a 3.45. But I can't remember if the automatics have the same rear end or not. Can someone confirm? In general automotive terms, typically automatic cars use a slightly taller rear end to make up for the gearing ratios in auto transmissions. So I'm curious if there is another variant rear end available.

That said, 3.70 sounds sick! My M6 SS is already torquey as hell with the 3.45, being able to pull from any gear at low rpms. I can literally take off in 3rd gear with no issues.

3.70 would make it snappy as hell off of the starting line. Given that most people don't average much over 100mph, a 3.70 would obviously shave a bit off the top end but with the power band and range this car has it would make for a great street racer or 1.4 mile car.

You got me curious now how this would perform, and dyno, moving to a taller gear in an M6..... so not to hijack OPs question I'd be curious to hear about any experiences with anyone running 3.70 in either both auto or manual...

subscribed....
marsmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #3
SS PANTHER

It is a SS V8. The factory gear is 3.27's. I currently have CAI with scoop, Vmax tb, ARH CARB legal shorties, and Solo HFC's. I have a good suspension foundation with aftermarket trailing arms, toe links, upper control arm, radius rod and cradle bushings, sways and springs. I am not going to go with FI. This car is for pleasure and canyon cruising with a couple of autos events per year. I do not want a TC. I know the car will pull harder. Trying to find out if someone is running these in their A6 vert and what there feedback is and highway mpg. I am not interested in any other ratio.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #4
CCMADONNA

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS/RS
subscribed …..

2014 2SS/RS VERT L99
SUMMIT WHITE
AIRAID CAI
BORLA ATAK CAT-BACK EXHAUST
ELITE ENGINEERING CATCH-CAN
RANGE AFM-DELETE MODULE
HUPER OPTIK 40
CHROME PEDALS
PREMIUM FLOOR MATS
PREMIUM CARGO MAT
DEDICATED 32GB iPHONE HD
[/I][/B][IMG][/IMG]
CCMADONNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:29 PM   #5
pony

Drives: 2011 2SS Convert; Color RJT
I too would be interested in this. From everything I've read/researched, 3.70's in the A6 is the way to go. I've considered buying the 3.91 complete diff for around $1200 and dropping in, but feel this would be just too much. However, LPE has the market on the 3.70's and at $600 plus install kit, Plus install in another pumpkin, I'm guessing I would be looking around $1700+.

Then you have to get a custom tune for the speedo change vs the GM one and that's IF It'll work on the A6 vs the Manuals.

With all of this said, 3.91's may be worth a second look even though the highway MPG would probably suck.

I would also be interest if anyone has put a M6 3.45 diff in the A6. Might be a acceptable money to performance compromise.
pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:27 PM   #6
sbc88

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss convertible
I just ordered today the lpe. 3.70 gears with the true trac for my 2011 2ss a6 .I currently am running with 2800 stall and along with the gear change going to a 3600 stall to help get the car off the line quicker. I will repost once completed with some feedback on rpm's and fuel changes.
sbc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:06 AM   #7
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
I have 4.57s in my M6 SS vert. I also have shorter 27" tires so it's actually more like having 4.85s. I absolutely love it! All six speeds are so much more usable now. The car feels 1,000 lbs lighter, which is really needed since my car tips the scales at 4,330 lbs.
The decreased top end actually helps me not speed on the highway anymore. 70 mph used to be at 1,600 rpms in 6th and now it's at 2,250. 2,250 rpms in 6th used to be 97 mph.
I do mostly city diving and that mpg hasn't really changed, if anything it actually went up a little since I can now use 6th gear just driving around. Highway mpg did go down a couple mpg though.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:26 AM   #8
SS PANTHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony View Post
I too would be interested in this. From everything I've read/researched, 3.70's in the A6 is the way to go. I've considered buying the 3.91 complete diff for around $1200 and dropping in, but feel this would be just too much. However, LPE has the market on the 3.70's and at $600 plus install kit, Plus install in another pumpkin, I'm guessing I would be looking around $1700+.

Then you have to get a custom tune for the speedo change vs the GM one and that's IF It'll work on the A6 vs the Manuals.

With all of this said, 3.91's may be worth a second look even though the highway MPG would probably suck.

I would also be interest if anyone has put a M6 3.45 diff in the A6. Might be a acceptable money to performance compromise.
3.45's are perfect for FI. I feel that, although, the 3.91's are ~$300 less, that 1st gear would be useless, you would be tractionally impaired with street tires and your gas mpg would be 2mpg less. Also, I am not a drag racer and will not run a TC. I think 3.70's would be the best ratio for a N/A A6. IMO