Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-09-2017, 07:41 PM   #15
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
You could have a case of deteriorating chain tensioner the ls3 one has been known to some times fall apart as its a tensioner that the chain rides over of plastic helping avoid slack in a bow shape sort of. But that's unlikely as the sound does seem to come from the lower firewall area is all I can tell from a video it could be a exhaust leak....Or having replaced a spring you may have another problem associated with the valve train and maybe a stethoscope could show......

Good luck; one sound to track down, If I had to replace one spring I would be thinking that they all could be going south and check the pushrods for bending from overrevs.....and replace all the springs and maybe pull the heads before to look at the lifters and cam lobes......
SO if you have not done it yet get a piece of hose at least and try listening to track down the area ;its tough to tell in a engine bay exact things with a camera and sound. It could be flying monkeys from Mars but its a guessing game ..... A metallic tapping in a stethoscope in a area can show a problem internally without surgery...LOL but its just trying to locate to further investigate....................
Old 10-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #16
JimS3331

Drives: 2010 ABM SS
Got the top end off to find 4 lifters all grinded up as well as the cam. Still have a noise in the bottom of the engine when the crank is being turned
Old 10-25-2017, 08:30 AM   #17
69 SS 350 5 Speed

Drives: 69 SS Camaro 2019 Corvette GS Vert.
With a bunch of metal gone from lifters and the cam, it is a good bet that at least one rod bearing or main bearing have been chewed up. Time for a rebuild or new crate engine. Maybe an LSX!!!!