Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-09-2009, 11:01 AM   #57
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVThis View Post
It depends. If the car dealer washed it before delivery there could be some marring in the paint. Most dealerships wouldn't know how to wash a car properly if one fell on their heads. It sounds anal but I'd rather not even have the dealer touch it before I took delivery. I've worked at dealerships in the past and in most cases wouldn't ever let them wash my car.
I didn't do any pre-Zaino prep on a brand new gray mustang... and it looks great...

However, my Camaro is going to be black......, so I will have to wait and see if there are any spider-webbing, surface scratches, or orange peel in the clear before I just jump strait to the Zaino.

Last edited by Bell040; 03-09-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:00 PM   #58
Embalmer
2G1FT1EWXA9103351

Drives: 2SS RS, SIM, 6pd, 20"Alum
Zaino for a brand new Camaro

Ok,

So for a Brand NEW Camaro it looks like you need this:

Z-18 Claybar
Z-7 Show Car Wash

Z-2 Car Polish
Z-6 Gloss Enhancer Spray

2 Polish Applicators (or cloth/whatever you prefer)

And that's pretty much it....

NOW,

I don't think you NEED anything else to have a really great finish to your car. I think the rest of the stuff is overkill???

Also I supposed you could swap Z-6 with Z-8 right?

Z-8 might even be better since it's used right after a wash. Looks like the Z-6 is more for removing dust to give it a quick clean before showing it.

The Z-CS is also the only other question.

Why would you need Z-CS if you just used Z-6 or Z-8? Seems again like overkill and perhaps a waste of $$.

All total if you go with my initial list you can get out of this for $75.75.
Embalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:03 PM   #59
Bell040

my $.02

BARE MINIMUM (for a very good looking finish):

use Z-18 with soap until it slides very easily, then Z-2 and Z-6 over and over.... this all you need !!!

OPTIONAL:

a few drops of Z-FX... this makes the Z-2 (or Z-5) cure faster so you can add multiple coats in a day…otherwise you will spend days waiting b/w coats

Z-AIO can be used as a better basecoat than Z-2 by itself because it contains a mild abrasive (but it is not as glossy, so its only a basecoat)...

Z-5 is a replacement for Z-2 if you have a dark colored car (because it hides scratches better)... but Z-2 should be the last coat of polish because it is glossier.

Every coat of polish NEEDS a coat of a gloss enhancer...................

………Gloss enhancers are interchangeable......... Z-CS is a little glossier than Z-8, Z-8 is a little glossier than Z-6 (Z-CS > Z8 > Z6)… the price goes the same way… also, you have to let Z-CS dry for 8 hours!!!

SUMMARY (assuming there are no imperfections in the clear coat....if so, you need to buff with a machine before proceeding):*

1) if you are on a budget and are driving it every day anyway ……. Use Z-18, Z2, Z6, Z2, Z6, Z2 and Z6 …….. and use Z6 every couple of weeks to protect the coats.... reapply a coat of Z2 once or twice a year.... always follow Z2 with Z6.

2) if you are getting it ready for a car show, or if you have moneybags for pockets….

.............a. Use in this order for a dark colored car……. Z-18, Z-AIO, Z5, Z6, Z5, Z6, Z2, Z6, Z-2 and Z-CS….use Z-8 every couple of weeks to protect the underlying coats,

.............b. Use in this order for a light colored car……. Z-18, Z-AIO, Z2, Z6, Z2, Z6, Z-2 and Z-CS….use Z-8 every couple of weeks to protect the coats.

I did option "2-a" on a brand new medium grey mustang...............and.............WOW !!!

*imperfections include.... swirlies, orange peel, spiderwebbing, rough spots, etc.

** the Z-7 car wash is just a regular car wash with a milder formula to ensure that you dont remove the polish while washing...it also has some UV protection, but I think it is optional

Last edited by Bell040; 03-09-2009 at 05:25 PM. Reason: added a footnote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:50 PM   #60
lordfriday2
Proud Owner!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS RS
Send a message via AIM to lordfriday2
maybe one of you zaino experts can answer me this question, when I put the polish on my car I know it says to use very little, though it doesnt look like it ever gets on the car, or when it did it was very lightly, zaino says to use a small ammount, i'm guessing a fine coat is all it really needs, right?
lordfriday2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #61
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordfriday2 View Post
maybe one of you zaino experts can answer me this question, when I put the polish on my car I know it says to use very little, though it doesnt look like it ever gets on the car, or when it did it was very lightly, zaino says to use a small ammount, i'm guessing a fine coat is all it really needs, right?
This is my problem as well. Everything I've read says to use about an ounce of polish per coat on a medium size car like the Camaro. I have a problem figuring out how to just use an ounce on a whole car.
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:52 PM   #62
69 Hugger

Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
I've always used Mcguires stuff from clay to 7polish,21 sealant,and their tech wax, detailer. Is the Zaino that much better ? how much will a kit do/cover ?
69 Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:21 PM   #63
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Hugger View Post
I've always used Mcguires stuff from clay to 7polish,21 sealant,and their tech wax, detailer. Is the Zaino that much better ? how much will a kit do/cover ?
i polished my Envoy 5 times doing 3 coats each time ,and a Scion xd 3 times.I still have plenty left for the Camaro when it gets in .

The Z2 is not a big bottle ,but you put on such thin coats that it takes a while to use up that bottle

When i use the ZFX flash cure accelerator with the Z2 polish,i use the 2 ounce bottle that comes with it.I can put 3 coats on my Envoy,and i still have to throw some out (because it was mixed with the cure accelerator)

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #64
69 Hugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post
i polished my Envoy 5 times doing 3 coats each time ,and a Scion xd 3 times.I still have plenty left for the Camaro when it gets in .

The Z2 is not a big bottle ,but you put on such thin coats that it takes a while to use up that bottle

When i use the ZFX flash cure accelerator with the Z2 polish,i use the 2 ounce bottle that comes with it.I can put 3 coats on my Envoy,and i still have to throw some out (because it was mixed with the cure accelerator)
I've been reading up on it, so I'll order a starter kit and start my zaino wax on wax off, Thanks for the info
Old 03-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #65
lordfriday2
Proud Owner!

Nexus6, when you put it on the car, does it go on lightly? to me, when i was rubbing it in, it didnt seem like any was getting on the car?
Old 03-10-2009, 01:11 AM   #66
Bell040

It takes a few times of putting on coats before you can get accustomed to rubbing it on the car when it feels dry.... I just wanted to “gob” it on there so I can see it going on......

Then, after about 4-5 coats of putting too much on, I tried letting the pad run dry for a while........ Just when I thought it was way too dry, I tried wiping the pad on a window.... then I could see it going on...... so I kept going

Also, I noticed that it is better to do the polishing in low-light so you can look at the paint at a sharp acute angle to see if it is misting up on the clear coat (this is almost impossible to do if you are in the sun)..... Sometimes it dries almost immediately and disappears... this will make you want to go back over that area.... I am pretty sure that there is no need to put enough on so that you can easily see the haze (like you are told to do with the Wal-Mart stuff).

Btw, I wrote Sal Zaino an email telling him about this thread; hopefully he will give us a lesson on this!!!
Old 03-10-2009, 01:22 AM   #67
lordfriday2
Proud Owner!

That'd be great to get Sal to join the boards, maybe we'll convince him to buy a Camaro in the process at any rate, thank you for the comparison, the pad feels like it's dry when your rubbing it though it's still wet, this stuff goes forever,

Also,

I used the ZFX in one of the 2oz bottles, do I have to dump the rest of it? I believe someone said they did... why does it go bad? and how long does it stay good in the bottle if it's secured?

thanks again guys.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:14 AM   #68
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Tag, I did a lot of research on Zaino, i've seen absolutely amazing results... the product developers designed Zaino for brand new car paint. they reccomend the claybar on a new car to take out any of the imperfections... Not sure i'll waste the bars on my car cause i'll just be trading it in on the Camaro

are you going to Zaino your Camaro too? they sell a showcar kit for like 89.00 and you get 10.00 off on their special bucket as well.
Yeah..that's the kit I was interested in getting. I'm almost out of all my other stuff..Mothers stage 1, 2, and 3 cleaning stuff. Time to finally get that Zaino Moose has been yelling at me to try!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visual_Perfection View Post
Zaino is AMAZING stuff. every other product just sits on the shelves now, as nothing comes close to the shine, durability, ease of use etc..

Here are some pictures of my Z28 that I sold in September after being treated with Zaino products, and also my current Trailblazer.

[IMG][/IMG]

Dayum!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Zaino...

And ders da man who's been trying to get me to try it!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:27 AM   #69
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Quote:
That'd be great to get Sal to join the boards, maybe we'll convince him to buy a Camaro in the process at any rate, thank you for the comparison, the pad feels like it's dry when your rubbing it though it's still wet, this stuff goes forever,

Also,

I used the ZFX in one of the 2oz bottles, do I have to dump the rest of it? I believe someone said they did... why does it go bad? and how long does it stay good in the bottle if it's secured?

thanks again guys.
You have 6 hours once you add the cure accellerator,after that its no good . even if its in an air tight container.other polishes and waxes can take anywhere from a few hours to a few days to cure . if you dont wait for it to cure ,you are just moving product around ,and not adding a second coat.the ZFX accelerates that process. If your worried about losing product,just mix 1 ounce at a time as you need it.

1100 - 10/22/2008
3000 - 05/27/2009
3300 - 06/06/2009
3800 - 06/29/2009
4B00 - 06/29/2009

Warehouse 13 survivor

Blood stains,speed kills,fast cars,cheap thrills,rich women,fine wine,i lost my sense i lost control i lost my
mind.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #70
69 Hugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post

Well I odered my Zaino kit , sounds like its good stuff from what I've read and what it cost. Nexus you should get a kickback from Zaino for helping with sales/questions.