Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
samhardy2008
 
samhardy2008's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 3.6 camaro
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tyler
Posts: 197
holes in bumper

ok so the dealership felt like it was a great idea to put the front license plate holder on my car....cant take it off cause the screws leave damn holes in it ....and yes i know its not exactly legal here in texas to have no license plate but no matter what vehicle ive owned ive always taken it off...just looks stupid with a license plate on the front on any vehicle IMO....but my question is, does anybody have a solution to this? short of taken it to a body shop to have it fix, idk what to do
samhardy2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
midnighter
Account Suspended
 
Drives: nothing
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: a hole
Posts: 17,910
I had to get a new bumper cover. It was $800.00 for it with paint. I installed it.
midnighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #3
dkp2LT


 
dkp2LT's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2LT/RS, '13 GT/CS, '10 Flex
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Kansas City, MO & Del Mar, CA
Posts: 2,480
Bummer. There is this option:

http://www.bumperplugs.com/main.html

But I would see if the dealer will fix because you can still see the plugs, especially if you told them not to drill the holes. I am so lucky I bought used in a non front plate state. I bought the oem front holder, looked at it for a minute, and now it sits in the back seat.

Good luck.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #4
solo40oz
 
solo40oz's Avatar
 
Drives: My wife crazy
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Austin
Posts: 730
Just FYI - at the moment it is sort of Legal to be without a front plate in Texas (well, it's illegal, but there is no punishment). Legislative mistake, and probably a big headache for all:

http://dallasattorney.com/blog/114-n...ng-key-element
solo40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
v6

 
v6's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 45th 2LT RS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chico, California
Posts: 1,002
I went to I think it was lowes or home depot and got little plastic plugs, and use touch up paint to make them match my car
__________________
v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
samhardy2008
 
samhardy2008's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 3.6 camaro
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tyler
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkp2LT View Post
Bummer. There is this option:

http://www.bumperplugs.com/main.html

But I would see if the dealer will fix because you can still see the plugs, especially if you told them not to drill the holes. I am so lucky I bought used in a non front plate state. I bought the oem front holder, looked at it for a minute, and now it sits in the back seat.

Good luck.
thanks i think i might just do this...but then again i dont like the idea of making a hole even bigger on my car....ahhh decisions decisions....
samhardy2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
B@tman
 
B@tman's Avatar
 
Drives: Black 2010 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 139
You can always throw the plate on the dash or use suction cups to put it on the windshield, I agree that every car looks better without a mount though.
B@tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #8
v6

 
v6's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 45th 2LT RS
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chico, California
Posts: 1,002
before:

After:



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
LoneStar


 
LoneStar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,503
I bought body panel retainers from an auto store (O'reilly), painted them to match the body and plugged them in the bumper holes. They fit into the holes left behind without making the holes bigger (similar to the items from the bumper plugs website).

__________________
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
quez2525
 
quez2525's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic SS
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: AZ
Posts: 39
I used to live in Texas and then moved to another state so now I have to take off my plates. Quick question... How did u remove the front plate???? What tool did u use?
quez2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
LoneStar


 
LoneStar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,503
After taking the plate off the the bracket check to see if the bracket was attached with screws or (most likely) with rivets. If rivets, then use a drill bit and drill out the center of the rivets.
__________________
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:15 PM   #12
samhardy2008
 
samhardy2008's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 3.6 camaro
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tyler
Posts: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by quez2525 View Post
I used to live in Texas and then moved to another state so now I have to take off my plates. Quick question... How did u remove the front plate???? What tool did u use?
they just used 4 phillips head screws to hold mine in place lol
samhardy2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:24 PM   #13
JB22
 
JB22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 ABM # 2180 2SS M6
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Burnt Hills, NY
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarCamaro View Post
I bought body panel retainers from an auto store (O'reilly), painted them to match the body and plugged them in the bumper holes. They fit into the holes left behind without making the holes bigger (similar to the items from the bumper plugs website).
I bought the plastic plugs at Lowes and a container of touch up paint from the dealer and did mine.

so glad I did it, looks sooooooo much better than with the plate.

Cost was about 25 bucks versus 100 or so for the bumper plugs.
__________________

(Click above image to learn about UpstateC5)
JB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:31 PM   #14
LoneStar


 
LoneStar's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB22 View Post
I bought the plastic plugs at Lowes and a container of touch up paint from the dealer and did mine.

so glad I did it, looks sooooooo much better than with the plate.

Cost was about 25 bucks versus 100 or so for the bumper plugs.
Agreed! It's a great, low-cost visual improvement!
__________________
LoneStar is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.