Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 03-18-2021, 10:49 AM   #1
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
flux core vs solid core

I've been using flux core in my little 110 volt mig for years and recently realized the solid core is less than half the price for a roll. Reading that it penetrates easier too which sounds good. Most of my welding is light duty 20 to 22 gauge sheet metal (i think 16 gauge once) plus i always clean to bare metal before any welding happens too. So should i stay with flux or go solid?
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 01:00 PM   #2
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
If solid core is working for you and you are not struggling with porosity or poor penetration, due to contamination, then solid is better.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 03:07 PM   #3
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Is your welder capable of using gas? If so, do you want to spend the money on gas + bottle?
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 03:03 PM   #4
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Solid core requires gas for shielding.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 12:59 PM   #5
Laurel Wright

Drives: Chevrolet: General Motors
You are right. Solid core provides deep penetration into the roots and usually has less spatter. On the other hand, flux core produces low spatter levels and has ball kind transfer. It also provides excellent sidewall fusion. But if you are well capable of using solid core then you can continue with the same. However, you can also continuously create solid wire in a flux core welder; but for that, you have to use a solid wire with shielding gas.