Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-30-2019, 08:24 PM   #1
TwentyTen2SSRS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Short shifter - time for me to switch brands?

I have the Barton short shifter currently.

I’ve been reading more and more on the MGW setup and curious to hear from others who went from one short shift to MGW and improvements or differences they’ve realized.

I understand MGW is the full assembly which in and of itself is an upgrade - more looking to hear about the feel, stiffness or any other observations.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
TwentyTen2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:08 PM   #2
lemontwist

Drives: 12 2SS/RS L99,11 2SS/RS LS3totaled
looks way better than my hurst. i got a hurst now so that's what i'm rocking and it was a improvement,it's basically a ricer style short throw so i imagine the MGW works nicely. i also like the sound deadening pad and the billet flat stick i wish i got it instead.
lemontwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:06 PM   #3
1fast
8.60 @ 157 @ 4200lbs

Drives: 2010 Gen 5
Shifter

I have installed 2 of the mgw shifter in last couple weeks one from factory other was Hurst mgw feels great looks great close pattern I would recommend one
Attached Images

Old 10-31-2019, 08:25 PM   #4
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fast View Post
I have installed 2 of the mgw shifter in last couple weeks one from factory other was Hurst mgw feels great looks great close pattern I would recommend one

What do you mean hurst MGW? Or from a hurst to a MGW?

You may not be person to ask on the noise. That’s only complaint I’ve heard so far is it’s noisy or let’s road noise in?

Cold Air Inductions CAI • Stainless Power LT's with HFC's • Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back • APEX Scoop and WW Relocation Kit • VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Custom Dyno Tune • Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs • ZL1 Rims on 275 front 315 Rear • custome underlay vinyl wrap • Anvil Spoiler • heritage grill • APR Front Splitter • Custom Emblempros emblems • ZL1 Side Skirts • 416.5 whp 410 torque (CURRENTLY) Up Next: BTR Stage 3 Cam and supporting mods (in garage now)
Old 11-01-2019, 08:46 AM   #5
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
I had a Hurst Billet Two Plus in my car when I bought it. It was sloppy and noisy. I went back to a stock shift, 100% improvement. I have driven an MGW equipped car, they are nice. But honestly, you can shift just as good with the stocker. The only real advantage I find with an MGW is increased centering force, which, if you're a road-course driver, that can be very helping selecting the correct gear under heavy lateral G's.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 02:54 PM   #6
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by acammer View Post
I had a Hurst Billet Two Plus in my car when I bought it. It was sloppy and noisy. I went back to a stock shift, 100% improvement. I have driven an MGW equipped car, they are nice. But honestly, you can shift just as good with the stocker. The only real advantage I find with an MGW is increased centering force, which, if you're a road-course driver, that can be very helping selecting the correct gear under heavy lateral G's.
Also makes it easier to nail third properly at the drag strip... Not just a road course perk.

Get the MGW. You won't regret it
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:49 PM   #7
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Also makes it easier to nail third properly at the drag strip... Not just a road course perk.
I will second this notion.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:33 PM   #8
TwentyTen2SSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
I will second this notion.

I do mainly road course, and also just take those spirited two hour mountain drives. Is the road noise bad?

Is it a big step up from the Barton I have in there now? I know hard to answer that, but that’s where I’m at with the decision

THANK you all for your replies

Old 11-02-2019, 03:26 AM   #9
d kings z28

Drives: 2014 white z28
Stock to MGW 14 Z28 much smother
d kings z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:09 AM   #10
1fast
8.60 @ 157 @ 4200lbs

Drives: 2010 Gen 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyTen2SSRS View Post
What do you mean hurst MGW? Or from a hurst to a MGW?

You may not be person to ask on the noise. That’s only complaint I’ve heard so far is it’s noisy or let’s road noise in?

Oops should of used comma I removed a Hurst to put a mgw in its place.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:33 PM   #11
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyTen2SSRS View Post
I do mainly road course, and also just take those spirited two hour mountain drives. Is the road noise bad?

Is it a big step up from the Barton I have in there now? I know hard to answer that, but that’s where I’m at with the decision

THANK you all for your replies

I didn't notice an increase in road noise when I installed the MGW. Make sure you use the included dynamat on the shifter arms and on the trans tunnel. I think that's key. I also put a piece around where the flat stick arm is secured
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:28 PM   #12
Pkeen

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss/rs, 2008 Avalanche
Hi i too had the Barton shifter in mine and it was too notchy and noisy. So i modded my stock shifter following Jason @jacfab in the diy section . Its an old post so i posted in it to bring it up to top. Its worth reading, got about 25% shorter throw , quiet and i also cut the top off and tig welded a grade 8 bolt minus the head to it so i can have a reg. Shift ball on it. I am totally happy with it.
Pkeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:18 AM   #13
acammer
GPI Sales Consultant

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post

Get the MGW. You won't regret it
For some reason, the 2-3 is the one shift at the drag strip I never have trouble with. This trusty old TR6060 ensures I get the occasional grind or lock-out on the 1-2, and once or twice I've been locked out of a 3-4 as well, trying to be lightning quick, but I can't recall ever missing at 2-3 at the track. 2-3 is usually the one I can count on sounding just like a dual clutch auto.

I agree, it's a nice shifter - and really the only one worth doing if you're gonna do a short throw. For me, I was so thrilled with how well the stocker worked, that I don't have a reason to change.
GPI Max Package 2.0: Brodix BR7 heads/GPI porting, MAX3 cam, ST2116LSR, BSR Max Lift rockers, LS7 LSXR with 103mm TB, Vararam OTR, Mcleod RXT, G-Force/Strange 9" IRS setup with 4.63 gear. 551whp, 11.1@124mph.
Got a question about a GPI product? Feel free to shoot me a message!
acammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:19 AM   #14
go_go_gadget88

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM 6M
I never really had a lot of issues with my stock shifter really, other than I thought the knob was uncomfortable and ugly. Once I saw the MGW flat stick, I knew I would be going that route, even it if wasn't touted as the best shifter for these cars. Luckily, it seems to be that as well.

It does seem to take some "flex" out of the stock piece. The strong return to center takes a bit of getting used to. A few lazy 1-2 shifts have ended up being a 1-4 shift (so much for having skip shift tuned out ). Though this is awesome at other times, as the 2-3 shift you just slam it forward, the shifter will do the rest.

I absolutely love mine and do not regret the purchase whatsoever. Install was a bit of a pain, but well worth it IMO. The shifts engage well, and I have yet to have a single shift not want to go into gear or anything (happened once in a while with my stock piece but that was rare)
2010 ABM 2SS/RS LS3 6 Speed -- Rotofab CAI | Speed Engineering 1 7/8" Longtubes w/ cat Delete | Magnaflow competition catback | TSP 231/246 cam| TSP/PAC .660" Spring Kit | TSP CNC Ported Heads | Bo White PTB | GPI Ported/RM Intake | 3.91's | BC Catch Can | MGW Shifter | BMR 1" Drop Springs | BMR Trailing arms/Toe Rods/Rear UCA Bushings | Pegasus Subframe Mounts
go_go_gadget88 is offline   Reply With Quote