Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
bb040

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS red jewl tintcoat
something strange

got a call from my wife who was in the camaro today...she said she was sitting in the car waiting on it to warm up after getting off work today when the wind shield made a loud pop and cracked all the way across...there were no chips on the glass.it cracked right where the hud is but all the way across ..my question is has anyone else had this happen to their camaro...
Old 01-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
iCamaro

Drives: 2012 LT RS Camaro
Never had that happen in a Camaro, but my wife and I were sitting in our brand new, just off the lot accord and it was cold outside. So we turned on the heater and as soon as I turned on the window defrost for the front we heard a loud pop and then saw the crack!

Honda tried to say a rock did it because they found a chip, but when I pointed out to the that the chip they found was behind the seal. Them asked how does a rock get in there?

They shut up and replaced the window!
Old 01-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
05stram

Drives: 2013 RS - 2013 2SS/RS - 1971 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb040 View Post
got a call from my wife who was in the camaro today...she said she was sitting in the car waiting on it to warm up after getting off work today when the wind shield made a loud pop and cracked all the way across...there were no chips on the glass.it cracked right where the hud is but all the way across ..my question is has anyone else had this happen to their camaro...

Had this happen on a Traverse scared the living heck out of my grandson. The glass company found the edge of the glass nicked under the edging on the windshield and I got GM to agree to pay for the glass and I paid (not really included in price) for the windshield.
05stram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #4
Oneflyenyceguy
Hmm...Something Clever

Drives: Blac on Blaq on Blak 2012 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05stram View Post
Had this happen on a Traverse scared the living heck out of my grandson. The glass company found the edge of the glass nicked under the edging on the windshield and I got GM to agree to pay for the glass and I paid (not really included in price) for the windshield.
Seein how the windshield is made of glass how did u do this?

Adjustments: 20% tint all around, Emblem Pros Dash plaque, Rockford Fosgate P-300/12
Oneflyenyceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
SSmokinSS
Get Some

Drives: 2014 ZL1 6Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneflyenyceguy View Post
Seein how the windshield is made of glass how did u do this?
I'm pretty sure he meant the install. (which was included in the price of the windshield)
Old 01-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Was it cold where you are today? The only thing I can think of was the shock of the heat when the car turned on actually cracked the windshield
Proud owner of litho #179 Click Picture for Build Thread
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
mulehead7
stubborn as a ...

Drives: '94 Trans Am
Mine is broken clear across but it wasn't a total surprise. I took a hit from a big rock, piece of a brick maybe, don't know for sure because it was dark when it hit but when I stopped I had a major rock chip with three 1/2" long spider legs coming off it. I figured it couldn't be patched with epoxy so I was going to replace the windshield before spring. The first frosty day I hit the defroster and after about three minutes I heard the loud pop and I knew right then. A 5' crack in less than a second and then I watched it grow another couple inches on the way home. Thankfully(?) I don't have HUD (2010) so the new windshield will be less than $500. Money I'd rather spend on well, just about anything else.

mulehead7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
bb040

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS red jewl tintcoat
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulehead7 View Post
Mine is broken clear across but it wasn't a total surprise. I took a hit from a big rock, piece of a brick maybe, don't know for sure because it was dark when it hit but when I stopped I had a major rock chip with three 1/2" long spider legs coming off it. I figured it couldn't be patched with epoxy so I was going to replace the windshield before spring. The first frosty day I hit the defroster and after about three minutes I heard the loud pop and I knew right then. A 5' crack in less than a second and then I watched it grow another couple inches on the way home. Thankfully(?) I don't have HUD (2010) so the new windshield will be less than $500. Money I'd rather spend on well, just about anything else.
Well i guess we'll mark this one up to cold temps...thankfully it only going to cost me 50.00 to fix...just seems strange how it broke never have one do this before
Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
usafboy

Drives: 2010 Silver SS/RS LS3
Glass and temperature shocks don't mix well, simple physics lol haven't had this happen yet but it would probably scare the crap outta me if I was sitting in the car
Mods...so far: resonator/muffler delete, tinted everything, '13 shift knob/boot, bowtie delete, PFADT sway bars, CAI intake, Hurst short shifter, JBA cat deletes, BMR trailing arms/outer bushings/steering rack bushing, Bo White ported TB.
Rhino79 Dyno tuned...405 HP/399 TQ
usafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #10
plus1zero
Back in a V8 ;)

Drives: 2017 2SS Fifty
Happened with my first one...but I also had a small crack in it D:
plus1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
mavric01

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Camaro RJT/BLK stripes
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulehead7 View Post
The windshield glass has nothing to do with the HUD, so the cost would be the same either way.

Mav
Old 01-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #12
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavric01 View Post
The windshield glass has nothing to do with the HUD, so the cost would be the same either way.

Mav
HUD cars have a different windshield made to reflect the display better.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafboy View Post
Glass and temperature shocks don't mix well, simple physics lol haven't had this happen yet but it would probably scare the crap outta me if I was sitting in the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
How can you imagine the heater is so much hotter that the windshield?
The car warms up and warms the windshield as it goes.

I don't expect a windshield to crack because of cold temps.
Not a chance.
Been down to -35F and never seen that. There is something else...
Yes, it can and I have seen it happen.
With the defroster on high (and temp setting to "hot"), and outside temps in the single digits that hot air blowing on a very cold windshield can cause it to crack.

Haven't had it happen on the Camaro, but have had two other vehicles this happened too over the years.
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #14
msp2887

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Black
Am I the only one that started singing the Ghostbusters theme song when I read the title?
msp2887 is offline   Reply With Quote