Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-21-2022, 06:30 PM   #1
XxCrystalline

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro 1LT
Unhappy Exhaust/Muffler Assistance

Hi guys!

I got severely rear ended by a car 3 months ago and I just got my car back today BUT with the parts shortage and the other cars insurance, they ended up giving me a brand new OEM exhaust system. The problem with that is I have no idea what I had on there before but my car is almost SILENT now and I cant take it 😭 (I like to be heard coming but I dont need it to be insane)

Ive sent them an email to hopefully get them to send a check or something over because I dont want to wait another few months to get this done but the lack of sound is killing me inside. I wonder if anyone can tell by this video what I had or what would be a similar replacement?

I guarantee I have always had both CATs installed. Im wondering if I could probably just run into AutoZone and buy some FlowMaster mufflers or whether I need to go back and make them put on another exhaust...which I really dont wanna do because I waited REALLY patiently for this.

Adding photos of the damage if that helps any. She hit me full speed while I was stopped at a red light - I guess she tried to turn her wheel at the last second? The entire back end had to be replaced, trunk and all.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 06-21-2022, 06:32 PM   #2
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Your mufflers were rusted through. You basically had a muffler delete.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:15 PM   #3
XxCrystalline

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
Your mufflers were rusted through. You basically had a muffler delete.
Thank you! Would that prevent me from passing emissions? I got one of my CATs done last year so I had my emissions done right after and no one said a thing about my mufflers so if I need to pop off on the dealership please let me know.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:25 PM   #4
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
OUCH!!! Glad you are alright!! And got your car fixed. The thing about insurance work on stuff like "aftermarket" parts, they will only pay for OEM replacement things in situations as yours with the exhaust. Been there, unless you pay the difference for the upgrade. Looks like your mufflers were pretty well perforated with holes and needed replacing anyway. Here is a link to an axle back system I had on my SS and liked very much, but went louder. I sold it to a friend of mine for his yellow "Bumble Bee" Camaro which is a V6 like yours, and it sounds great!! He likes it and I do too. If you don't want the entire axle back, give Summit a call and just get the mufflers. They can tell you which ones they are for the system. Good luck.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/w...maro/year/2011
Old 06-21-2022, 07:28 PM   #5
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Mufflers won’t impact your emissions at all. You could do a catback exhaust and it still wouldn’t negatively impact your emissions. Being that you have a 2011 V6, if you want more sound, you could get long tube headers with high flow cats for more performance and sound. Yes, you would need a tune to eliminate a check engine light from failing your emissions, but you would likely love the benefits of a tune and definitely love the increased power and volume.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:28 PM   #6
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxCrystalline View Post
Thank you! Would that prevent me from passing emissions? I got one of my CATs done last year so I had my emissions done right after and no one said a thing about my mufflers so if I need to pop off on the dealership please let me know.
No, as long as your cats are working correctly and in good shape, the "holy" mufflers will not cause a problem with emissions. Now if you take the cats off, then yes you will have a problem passing.
Old 06-21-2022, 07:43 PM   #7
XxCrystalline

Thank you both so much! I always assumed the entire thing had to be good to go for emissions because I never had to do them before getting this car in this area. So mufflers ALONE wouldnt give it a rumble? Usually I can hear my car from inside the apartment pretty easily - we are on the ground level and my space is up front about 20 ft away from the patio doors. Could I get something minimal to give me a little bit of noise at that range? I plan on getting a sound system installed so my friends say to just do that because the pipes wont matter lol but still gotta ask.
Old 06-21-2022, 08:04 PM   #8
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Some states won't pass a car with holes in the exhaust.
It was rusty so getting a new one isn't a bad thing.
It isn't so cheap to get it redone to make it louder.
I think you would enjoy using the money on something else.
I've heard people have bought the Camaro V8 muffler, you could get it free from a muffler shop that just changed out someone's Camaro if you had them weld it in yours for a fee. They don't keep them around so you likely need to source one from a junk yard. Usually original parts like that cost way too much if you ordered it new from a dealer.
I mention the OEM Camaro v8 muffler because it gives it some sound but not an obnoxious drone sound on the v6. You might not like it after spending the $ on it because it isn't loud enough for you.

I can't recommend a new radio-head unit due to how terrible the theft is nowdays and some functions are lost that are onscreen. You're earlier model Camaro might not have that problem with touchscreen as the 2013s and up.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 08:29 PM   #9
XxCrystalline

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
Some states won't pass a car with holes in the exhaust.
It was rusty so getting a new one isn't a bad thing.
It isn't so cheap to get it redone to make it louder.
I think you would enjoy using the money on something else.
I've heard people have bought the Camaro V8 muffler, you could get it free from a muffler shop that just changed out someone's Camaro if you had them weld it in yours for a fee. They don't keep them around so you likely need to source one from a junk yard. Usually original parts like that cost way too much if you ordered it new from a dealer.
I mention the OEM Camaro v8 muffler because it gives it some sound but not an obnoxious drone sound on the v6. You might not like it after spending the $ on it because it isn't loud enough for you.

I can't recommend a new radio-head unit due to how terrible the theft is nowdays and some functions are lost that are onscreen. You're earlier model Camaro might not have that problem with touchscreen as the 2013s and up.
Ok so I havent looked under there yet but basically yes - it give a nice enough sound when Im hitting the gas but I want a little bit of sound on idle as well. So I was legit thinking of just going into AutoZone and grabbing 2 FlowMaster 40s, I got plenty of friends that can throw mufflers on it and half of them are at my dealership anyway lol.

Last edited by XxCrystalline; 06-21-2022 at 09:11 PM.
XxCrystalline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 09:14 PM   #10
SaReNi

Drives: 2012 SS
so yours is a 6cyl car..right? either way, look up exhaust addicts on youtube and search for a camaro 6 and you will hear various combinations to give you an idea of the sound you like best.
Old 06-21-2022, 11:15 PM   #11
XxCrystalline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaReNi View Post
so yours is a 6cyl car..right? either way, look up exhaust addicts on youtube and search for a camaro 6 and you will hear various combinations to give you an idea of the sound you like best.
I did a while before the post actually, thats what made me want to just grab the 40s at AutoZone - I just wanted to be sure that I didnt need to get anything but the mufflers to get an affect.

Tags
exhaust, muffler, sound