Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #99
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
WOW-I just had too!

ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #100
ADM PERFORMANCE

We use this for reference purposes only!

PATENTED

Old 11-15-2011, 05:09 PM   #101
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
Just curious when ADM Perf built the pink rocket?? This year??
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #102
ADM PERFORMANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sack Rat 2SS View Post
Just curious when ADM Perf built the pink rocket?? This year??
We did not build it,We only use this video to poke fun
Old 11-16-2011, 06:41 AM   #103
ADM PERFORMANCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex 876 View Post
I have the ADM racing intake W/air scoop, which I ordered from andy at ADM performance, 1000%, satisfied, great performance & great service from andy, if you do go whit the ADM, make sure and tell them your a mamber of the forums, I think you get a discount,

Thatis all you have to do,worth making the call
Old 11-16-2011, 06:49 AM   #104
Ratt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haole View Post
Excuse my ignorance on this topic. I have a 2SS/RS with stock engine. I don't race or really put the pedal down a lot, but I'm interested in getting a different intake. I do realize it all comes down to personal preference. I would like a few suggestions if the forum wouldn't mind assisting me.

Mahalo, Craig

The top 3 are ADM, Cold Air Inductions and Halltech (in alphabetical order).
I bought a Cold Air Inductions air intake. I will give you my opinion the strengths and weaknesses of all 3 from what I have learned.

ADM the good. I think the lid is better. The box is a better fit because it has a piece that blocks the hot air from the radiator at the front. The Mass air flow sensor is in the box and I think that is better to fool the ECM and should give you more power.

ADM the bad. The box is not insulated and the tube is aluminum both make the air to the motor warmer than the OEM intake. They also raise the under hood temperature.

Cold Air Inductions the good. Insulated one piece box. It has a lid. Easy to install.

Cold Air Inductions the bad. The tube and the box are made from aluminum. The outside of the box and the tube are not insulated this makes the air to the motor warmer than the OEM intake. They also raise the under hood temperature. The lid for the box have 3 half turn screws the sockets they slide into is thin and gets warn after only a few times the lid has been taken off and put back on. The tube is too short and does not go into the box, this makes it very hard to install another type of filter other than the one CAI sends you.

Halltech the good. It comes with either a plastic or carbon fiber tube. This keeps the intake air temperature cooler and does not raise the under hood temperature. The tube goes all the way into the box so a different filter can be used other than the one they send you.

Halltech the bad. It has no lid. You need a lid to keep the hot air from the engine compartment out of the intake system.

The ugly of all 3 is their filters. The inverted tip filter is the best type of filter and none of them offer one.

The coating on the aluminum tubes and boxes doesn’t do anything to help lower the air temperatures. Also if you’re not going to relocate the washer bottle then stay with the OEM. It does you no good to increase the size of your air intake if it can’t get more cold air because of the air flow restrictions the washer bottle causes.

If I had to do it all over again I would have bought the Halltech. It would be easier to make a lid for the Halltech box then to fight the hot air from the tubes and boxes of the others.
Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:20 PM   #105
mp51998

Drives: Black 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADM PERFORMANCE View Post
That is freakin classic.

Mike
mp51998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:42 AM   #106
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
The top 3 are ADM, Cold Air Inductions and Halltech (in alphabetical order).
I bought a Cold Air Inductions air intake. I will give you my opinion the strengths and weaknesses of all 3 from what I have learned.

ADM the good. I think the lid is better. The box is a better fit because it has a piece that blocks the hot air from the radiator at the front. The Mass air flow sensor is in the box and I think that is better to fool the ECM and should give you more power.

ADM the bad. The box is not insulated and the tube is aluminum both make the air to the motor warmer than the OEM intake. They also raise the under hood temperature.

Cold Air Inductions the good. Insulated one piece box. It has a lid. Easy to install.

Cold Air Inductions the bad. The tube and the box are made from aluminum. The outside of the box and the tube are not insulated this makes the air to the motor warmer than the OEM intake. They also raise the under hood temperature. The lid for the box have 3 half turn screws the sockets they slide into is thin and gets warn after only a few times the lid has been taken off and put back on. The tube is too short and does not go into the box, this makes it very hard to install another type of filter other than the one CAI sends you.

Halltech the good. It comes with either a plastic or carbon fiber tube. This keeps the intake air temperature cooler and does not raise the under hood temperature. The tube goes all the way into the box so a different filter can be used other than the one they send you.

Halltech the bad. It has no lid. You need a lid to keep the hot air from the engine compartment out of the intake system.

The ugly of all 3 is their filters. The inverted tip filter is the best type of filter and none of them offer one.

The coating on the aluminum tubes and boxes doesn’t do anything to help lower the air temperatures. Also if you’re not going to relocate the washer bottle then stay with the OEM. It does you no good to increase the size of your air intake if it can’t get more cold air because of the air flow restrictions the washer bottle causes.

If I had to do it all over again I would have bought the Halltech. It would be easier to make a lid for the Halltech box then to fight the hot air from the tubes and boxes of the others.
In response to a few things here, you said "The outside of the box and the tube are not insulated this makes the air to the motor warmer than the OEM intake." The insualtion for the box is on the inside, the box itself acts as a heat shield and the insulation inside reduces the heat soak so the transfer of the heat it does absorb and lets through to the intake air is minimal.

The intake tube is insulated, in fact to my knowledge it is the only insulated intake tube on a cold air intake on the market. We insulate the intake tube inside and outside with a ceramic coating. This coating reduces the heat soak of the engine bay heat that is absorbed into the tube, again minimizing the amount of heat that gets transferred to the intake air.

Our insulating efforts result in our system keeping the intake air on avereage within 2 degrees of ambient air when your car is in motion. Our IAT testing and thermal imaging tests has proven this time and time again.

I hope this helps you have a little better understanding of our system and how we have engineered our system to keep the intake air as cool as possible. Let me know if you have any questions, thanks!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #107
Halltech

Drives: 2010 Halltech Camaro SS, 2008 C6Z06
Not

Our intake gained only 1 degree during the Jannetty testing. Our heat shield has a seal on the top that keeps engine heat out of the filter area.

Plastic has better heat shielding that aluminum. No heat shielding required.

Testing by Katech:

The companies that did well in the testing might want to send an intake to Katech for testing on the engine dyno. They love comparing stock to aftermarket systems, which is why they have chosen our intake on all Camaro builds.

Jim Hall

Last edited by Halltech; 11-17-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Halltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #108
Halltech

Drives: 2010 Halltech Camaro SS, 2008 C6Z06
"The inverted tip filter is the best type of filter and none of them offer one."

I'm not sure what you mean by inverted filter? This is our cone filter, made exclusively for Halltech by K&N:

We also have a built in velocity stack to smooth airflow:

Halltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #109
Ratt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halltech View Post
"The inverted tip filter is the best type of filter and none of them offer one."

I'm not sure what you mean by inverted filter? This is our cone filter, made exclusively for Halltech by K&N:

We also have a built in velocity stack to smooth airflow:

Yep that's the one. I stand corrected.

When I went on your web site the pictures of the Yellow Jacket filter didn't show the end or tip and in the description it just says "Halltech is now using an exclusive K&N Lifetime Filter with our system".

I think maybe you should get in the pit more often and point out the benefits of your intake system.

I still think you should offer a lid as an option for the people who buy a washer bottle replacement and install a scoop.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:57 PM   #110
Ratt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill @ CAI Inc View Post
In response to a few things here, you said "The outside of the box and the tube are not insulated this makes the air to the motor warmer than the OEM intake." The insualtion for the box is on the inside, the box itself acts as a heat shield and the insulation inside reduces the heat soak so the transfer of the heat it does absorb and lets through to the intake air is minimal.

The intake tube is insulated, in fact to my knowledge it is the only insulated intake tube on a cold air intake on the market. We insulate the intake tube inside and outside with a ceramic coating. This coating reduces the heat soak of the engine bay heat that is absorbed into the tube, again minimizing the amount of heat that gets transferred to the intake air.

Our insulating efforts result in our system keeping the intake air on avereage within 2 degrees of ambient air when your car is in motion. Our IAT testing and thermal imaging tests has proven this time and time again.

I hope this helps you have a little better understanding of our system and how we have engineered our system to keep the intake air as cool as possible. Let me know if you have any questions, thanks!

I'm not trying to slam your product, I bought one. I'm just not a mod drone, that's a person who buys something and no matter what gains they make, they will post saying its the greatest.

I noticed the engine getting a little doggy after an it was up to temp for a while. When I stopped by the shop that was going to do my Dyno he said that he like the CAI intake and he had seen monster gains with them after the tube was wrapped with insulation. He put his hand on the tube and said "feel this". It was hot, very hot. I noticed at that time it was hotter than usual under the hood.

When I got to work I took the tube off right away and took the temp with a laser thermometer it was 137F on the inside and 137F on the outside of the tube. The temperature was 73F that day. I have pictures if you want to see them.

I covered it with pipe insulation later that night, ran the car for an hour and the temperature of the outside of the tube when I peeled back the insulation was 65F the temperature of the inside of the tube was 65F. It was at night and the temperature had cooled down to 65F.

That's better than the 1 degree rise the Halltech gets.

You make a great product you just need a plastic tube.

Halltech makes a great product he just needs a lid and a new advertising agent.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:07 PM   #111
JoshBobGuptaMarley
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: '12 2SS/RS LS3 GBA
[QUOTE=Halltech;4035603]Our intake gained only 1 degree during the Jannetty testing. Our heat shield has a seal on the top that keeps engine heat out of the filter area.

This testing proves only one thing, COLD AIR INDUCTIONS W SCOOP is #1
Old 11-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #112
MIKnam67
MIC

Drives: 2012 SSRS 6sp man Blk
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
CAI with scoop.

Testing shows that CAI without the scoop gives the same amount of gains as ADM Race with the sccop.

Since you said you're getting the scoop anyway, why not get the one that gives the most gains with it.

Thats a fact!!

I have one C.A.I. on my Camaro V6 and Have a SS delivering next month. I just ordered a C.A.I. and the scoop for the new SS for the same reason. I want the most performance.
MIKnam67 is offline   Reply With Quote