Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

View Poll Results: Do you plan to get this recall if you had a choice?
Yes 245 15.30%
No 1,356 84.70%
Voters: 1601. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #141
Optimus Prime

Drives: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuSe4 View Post
It's kind of like when a dad finds out his kid was smoking and he makes him smoke an entire carton.

"Oh, you want a recalls, we will give you freaking recalls. How about a recall for leather seats that may burn your creamy thighs. We will be replacing all leather seats with live sheep with lots of soft wool to keep your tushy cool on those hot summer days."

or

"we will replace all engines with a bowl of guacamole to reduce accidents. Our internal investigations have revealed that accidents have been reduced by 98% once the "guacamole" recall has been performed."
LOL!!! Holy crap, that was hilarious! What an awesomely random idea...

But yeah, this is just ridiculous. I love the idea of a newly engineered retrofitted push-button start system, like what my wife has on her Cruze that costs $20k less than my Camaro, but I doubt that'll see the light of day. Like someone else alluded to, except for a very few exceptions, we've all been fine with our switchblade key fobs and Camaros for up to five years now, so thanks GM, but we'll continue to be ok.

Count me in as not participating. I hate extra keys. Which is funny, because wasn't the whole issue about extra weight on the keys in the ignition? And the solution is to make one key tool into two, where we'd all likely put them together as usual anyway, thus making it worse with the weight of the hanging key fob? Oy...

Former garage: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS 6M
2011 Avalanche LT
Optimus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #142
Steve2150

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Red Hot
I kind of believe it is more a problem with the ignition lock itself then the fold out key in the FOB. The reason I say this is VW among others car companies had this key/fob design for many years and only GM has this problem. The fault is with the GM designed ignition lock itself, they are just applying a bandaid.
Steve2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:33 AM   #143
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
So VW/Audi has been using this same style key for years with no issues. GM can't figure out how to make them work safely? Nice
Old 06-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #144
lsaterz28
the vetteman

Drives: 68Z/28,09G8/GT,11RS/SS VT,13GMC PU
Have a 2009 G8 GT no problem, 2011 RS/SS no problem, will keep what i have.
lsaterz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #145
SSteven

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyroger View Post
Grammar police do not read.
I might go the other way. I have aftermarket alarm and remote start start installed. I do not use fob key pad. It would mean losing a big clunky fob from my pocket.
They are bunch of use that has after market alarms the was trying to get rid of the fob and just use the key. Now is our chance to do this for free.
I wish they would go to a push start. My daughter BMW has it It uses a fob like ours You insert in a slot in the dash then push the button to stop and start the car..
This will work assuming they make it a smart key and put the chip in the key itself. Otherwise, the chip would be in the FOB (like it is now) we would still have to carry the FOB.

Previous Camaro (sold 11/2015): 2012 2SS - Auto/RS/Black/Sunroof/MyLink Nav/SP 1 7/8" LT Headers w/HF Cats/Hybrid SW Retro Catback w/Borla Pro XS Mufflers/ADM Dyno Tune/C.A.I. CAI/Vmax Spiral Ported Throttle Body/APEX Catch Can/275x4 Squared Wheel Setup/Custom Fit Full Size Spare/Ceramic Tint
Replaced with 2013 Black Dodge Charger SRT8
SSteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:34 AM   #146
DarthZL1

Drives: 2014 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Jett View Post
This is in other part of the forums and I wrote in them I'm not doing. It's stupid.
Yup. I'm with you.
--- DarthZL1 - 2014 ZL1 #2095 M6 Black. Bone Stock ---
--- BigNLo - 1996 Impala SS Hot Rod Black. Lots of mods ---
DarthZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #147
Jakey2SS

Drives: 15' Scat Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
If you go in for service, I don't think you can keep them from doing the recall.
Yes you can, the dealer just has to document the day and time you declined the recall to protect themselves.
Jakey2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #148
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
I think what some people are missing is that the keys hanging down are what our knee hits and then they bind with the fob allowing it to be moved to the off position. At least that is what happened to me.

But still, easily corrected by removing the keys. Then there are no issues…

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #149
SS Jett

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #17
I guess CNN is covering this news now. This is stupid.
SS Jett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:36 AM   #150
DarthZL1

Drives: 2014 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEMayhem View Post
So VW/Audi has been using this same style key for years with no issues. GM can't figure out how to make them work safely? Nice
As did Dodge... and it's working as well as the Audi VW and Dodge's keys work. GM is just freaking out because of all the bad press they've had already with ignition things. It's stupid.
--- DarthZL1 - 2014 ZL1 #2095 M6 Black. Bone Stock ---
--- BigNLo - 1996 Impala SS Hot Rod Black. Lots of mods ---
DarthZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:37 AM   #151
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I've always kind of disliked the Camaro key... Too big to put on a key chain imo, so it stays by itself... I don't think separating the fob from the key will solve my problem though, if those really are the replacements on post 76, they still look big and stupid, can't put them with any other keys on a key ring... The fob will get lost all the time it will just be a big PITA...

Damned if you do, and damned if you don't...

That said, over 4 years of Camaro ownership, 3 different Camaro's, and I have never hit the key with my knee. I'm 6'2.

I won't be taking the car in for the recall (unless they want to go to a push button setup).
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #152
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
I'm keeping my awesome flippy key, no thanks! LOL

What happens though if I go to the dealer for other warranty work and refuse the recall? Will they hold my car until I agree? 0_o
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #153
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybsyc View Post
Here's what they'll likely want to swap our switchblade keys for.
No thanks.

How is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
Yea my knee isn't even really near it that it would be a worry.

Any better than this? Seems like it is not going to fix the problem. The only real fix is going to be switching to Keyless start so that nothing sticks out were it can be bumped. It is great they are trying to fix an issue but at least fix it in a way that really would fix the issue.

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #154
Steve2150

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePhoenix View Post
Exactly.

I look forward to seeing how many people overall are all up in arms over this, to where they can't wait to get their car's in to service to have the keys replaced. Not all 5th gen owners are as level headed as those posting in this thread.

Notice that this recall affects only the Camaro, even though Malibu, Cruze, Sonic, and Equinox all use the same switch blade keys as the Camaro.
Like I previously said, it is the ignition switch lock itself but GM would rather blame it on the fob and someones knees. What will GM's new excuse be when it happens to the new single key.
Steve2150 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, camaro, new camaro, question, recall