Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 07-08-2018, 01:03 PM   #2115
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
So, wanted to show the areas that Mark (mostly) and I spent most of the time adjusting:

The Speed Density area is where Mark and I want to experiment when going 'mafless' -- mostly as a backup if the MAF goes bonkers (not that these have).

All of this was to get the tuning dialed in for the 102 NW and RPM 5". We made together over 100 tweaks to get it where it ran cold, warm, hot, ac on, ac off, shutoff and restart right away.

I ran my tests from idle to 2k rpm to fill in the areas needed -- I used the 'Vehicle Controls and Special Functions' RPM commanded and it help with us testing the EQ Error Graph Mark setup.

This way I could also fill in the Adaptive Advance, Average Lambda, and other graphs to compare with.

Here is my WOT final test I did in 'Mexico' -- we targeted .78 Lambda and I'd say its very close:

My boost read from what you see here to almost 14 PSI. BTW NO NW throttle shutting down! I had to leave out the 'higher' MPH ones that I also ran in Mexico (which is not too far from my house ;o)

Mark showed and built the 3 gauges so I could have a more visual look at how things were lining up. Learned a lot about building graphs, charts, channels, math functions (my favorite), and gauges from Mark!

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:29 PM   #2116
ABADZL1
ZL1 Pilot

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I'm surprised your car hasn't been featured in a magazine somewhere. I don't believe you could fit anymore mods on that car. Truly amazing what you have created. Hopefully I get there in time to see it in action.........

GP Tuning 2.5 Cam, RPS Carbon Twin Clutch, Ported Blower, Kook's Headers, Cold Air Inductions CAI, ID850's, 9.17 Lower, 2.5 Upper, JMS BAP, Pedders Front Radius Arm Inserts, Whiteline Subframe Inserts, Tuned by me with HP Tuners
Idle Clip Link...........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTL8S9eHwbs
ABADZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:59 PM   #2117
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Aux water pump and meth next after c-fest! Humm, never thought about a mag doing that.. Be a lot to show them!

-Don
Old 07-08-2018, 02:05 PM   #2118
ABADZL1
ZL1 Pilot

At least the meth nozzles will be out of the way......

GP Tuning 2.5 Cam, RPS Carbon Twin Clutch, Ported Blower, Kook's Headers, Cold Air Inductions CAI, ID850's, 9.17 Lower, 2.5 Upper, JMS BAP, Pedders Front Radius Arm Inserts, Whiteline Subframe Inserts, Tuned by me with HP Tuners
Old 07-08-2018, 02:13 PM   #2119
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Yep, can't wait to try that out! You and Sarah need to come out and run ECR.. Lots of fun!

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 07-20-2018 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:59 PM   #2120
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Took the car out tonight to do a good test drive and shake things down. Ran excellent! Cold start, drive, hot start, everything was excellent! Did Fest preparation. Just a few more things to load!

Can’t wait!

-Don
Old 07-15-2018, 10:19 PM   #2121
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

CFest 2018

This year CFest was amazing. Better organized (still room to improve but, the vols did an excellent job), FRIDAY NIGHT was amazing! Loved how everything flowed and was setup. The DJ, bar, buffet was a great addition -- that is a keeper for sure. The 'REVY' @ 10 pm Friday was so awesome -- I have a video -- as I'm sure many have already posted.

Here is 'REVY':

With that, I'm going to go over these items:
  • NCM
  • Car's Performance
  • What's Next

NCM

NCM is just an amazing place to race. This year they still needed to get the 'registration' going -- that is on HOD -- not NCM -- it just takes too long to get your band and number. There was also confusion about the 'groups'. Initally it was A/B (Novice), then C (Intermediate), then D (Advanced). Well HOD in CA now has it A/A1 (Total Beginner/Novice), B (intermediate), C (Advanced) -- so that confused folk as it was a last minute change -- they'll need to knock that down.

Next, long pants on a hot day -- I get it, really -- but this was a first time in all the events I've run there and I'm glad I found out the day before (I got to BG @ 1 AM Wednesday).

We had 6 sessions that day and due to the 'delay' in the AM, some sessions were cut short or not 'on time' -- it was not a super big deal except when we went to grid and hot pits, I had to leave a couple of times back to the garage as they were running 20 minutes behind -- this was only in the AM -- after lunch, they got it on track.

For me, 6 sessions was ALOT -- I had to skip 2 just so 'I' could recover -- I have to say getting old sucks and now I need to 'train' to get in shape to run that much -- wow, I was DEAD TIRED and sore on Friday. Drank a ton of water.

Met some wonderful folks from my neighbor state of Louisiana -- these guys were just awesome -- thanks for the Wendys!

Here is a pic of us just lounging out:

You'll never meet a nicer/kinder/down to earth group...

The garages at NCM are just fantastic and have electric! I sure hope we keep fest here - the venue is just amazing...

Car's Performance

The car did great -- I had 3 issues:

Coolant temps -- even though I purged the heck out of it before leaving and tested, it still had an air pocket. On the way up to BG, I stopped in Memphis to take Mark (ABADZL1) and Sarah (SAPPHIRE) to dinner to thank them for all there help -- without their help (yes, Sarah LET Mark help me so there), I would not have been able to get to CFest.

Anyway, after stopping there, I had time to purge most of the air out.

Once I got to BG, the next morning I purged the rest out -- temps did great after that.

The AC -- the belt keeps coming off when road racing -- that SUCKS after racing hard and NO AC -- and these stretch to fit belts are a PAIN -- I'm going to see if I can goto a tensioner. Because of that, the wife and I decided to just leave Saturday night and drive home -- it was cool and the AC was not needed so that worked great -- I'm tired but glad to have gotten home early.

AEM Wideband -- this totally rips -- I hit a big pot-hole in Memphis on the way back and it literally knocked out the Wideband/gauge -- I mean it was a MEAN pot hole -- scared the hell out of us -- at night -- in the dark part of the interstate -- never saw it coming -- looked like a filled in pot hole -- wasn't. So, I tested that today and sure enough -- power to the unit, no Wideband -- gotta call AEM.

Performance at NCM

Scalded DOG! I was really amazed at how much was on tap and how well it did. There is way more in the car than I could handle -- between that, the # of sessions, and the heat, I need to do better.

The temps were as follows:
  • Oil 285° Max
  • Coolant 221° MAX
  • Trans 180° Max
  • IATs 169° MAX

Got a chance to see Ryan and found out other's who ran NCM experience similar Oil temps and felt that is was not bad -- it was HOT and I was running her harder this time.

I DID get black-flagged for too loud exhaust on the final session, next to last lap -- I pushed the RPMs that time -- will remember to shift earlier -- still, I have one of the quietest exhaust systems out there -- same system I've run there in the last 4 years -- no kidding!

BTW, did go to Beech Bend both days to visit folks I know (that drag). Met-up with GPI crew, saw a deal on a LSA Conversion kit GPI had -- hope the new owner is happy! (kit had a TON of extras), watched the autox and drags -- also met up with family so, that took precedence ;o). Went to the museum again (love that place). Just a great time.

What's Next
  • Meth kit install -- ordered the Meth controller from RDP (AEM unit)
  • Fix the Wideband
  • AC tensioner setup -- I think I have this one figured out and will detail that when it all gets here
  • Aux water pump -- have all the items and that will probably be the next item to start.

Overall, A GREAT fest...

-Don

Last edited by hammdo; 07-22-2018 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:58 PM   #2122
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Oh, I forgot to mention:

The Wild Race Mighty Mouse upgrade did the trick! I had 0 oil leaks and NO oil pass the catch can! I checked the 'relief' end of the hose and no oil -- a little 'water vapor' but that was it! I have 'breathers' for that end and may add that just as a precaution but, it was a 100% success!

-Don
Old 07-16-2018, 06:08 AM   #2123
ABADZL1
ZL1 Pilot

Pot holes in memphis suck! Many people have destroyed tires and rims here. Especially in winter after a "wet freeze and thaw". Glad you made it home safe.....

Old 07-16-2018, 06:46 AM   #2124
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Yep it was bad. Still, the AEM should not have gone out. May need to isolate it — if I find out it is truely out — calling AEM today...

Looked for you both on Saturday before we left but, you and Sarah were not there ;o(...

It will take me some time to recover!

-Don
Old 07-16-2018, 06:48 AM   #2125
ABADZL1
ZL1 Pilot

Sorry, half my club went to visit a distillery after we left the track, other half went to Corvette museum. We shall meet again. Lol

Old 07-16-2018, 09:10 AM   #2126
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Might Mouse Race Wild Setup

Wanted to show how well the Might Mouse Wild Race setup did (along with my Mishimoto Mini Catch Can). This is THE SETUP for me for road racing!

Here is the view of the Catch Can before I drained it:

I did notice a 'smidgen' of oil on the side of the can -- not much -- but I'll check with David on that (uses an o-ring so I may need to tighten it a bit).

How much I drained:

Now the mini:

Now this is more like it!

Not a single drop from the pan/transmission area after 1500 miles and 4 sessions @ NCM!

I also checked the 'relief' hose and like I noted earlier, only 'water' residue!

Finally got the setup I was looking for!

-Don
Old 07-16-2018, 09:18 PM   #2127
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

NCM Track Day Photos!

Well, I didn't expect this but, I had 88 pics taken @ NCM!

Here they are (reduced sized):

Sweet!

-Don
Old 07-22-2018, 05:03 PM   #2128
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Wow, the heat has zapped me for a bit. Didn't want to do too much after fest.

One experiment I tried was to use a tensioner for the AC -- the bracket fit but the layout of the compressor was too far forward -- so, back to the LSA 3 belt kit bracket setup and the stretch to fit -- I did get the CTSV tool to install the belt over the compressor vs the crank pulley -- NO ROOM for any tools there.

My next experiment is an in-line hi-flow electric water pump form Stewart Components.

I've worked out the logistics and layout. Had to remove the fans, NW, just to get to the location and hoses:

Pump and my custom relay harness with on/off LED Switch:

Location for aux pump:

This will allow me to cool the car better in traffic AND aid in cooling the car down after track sessions using my big fan!

Once this is done, I'll be doing the ProMeth kit (this is gonna take me a bit as its HOT here)...

-Don