Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 03:28 AM   #1
Temper

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Safety Belt Audible Reminder System

Not to discuss safety NOR legality.

Is there a way to disable the seat belt chime in my car? In my dodge I just had to put it in ACC then put and take off the seat belt 3 times. (I wonder if anyone ever accidentally did that!)

I still would like the RED LIGHT to remind me. That seems VERY sufficient since it is on the instrument panel.

-----------------------------------------------------
If your not going to lecture me on wearing a seatbelt, stop reading here.
Please, if you don't know how don't answer.

(The last three questions were blasted with non-sense. Just trying to pre-emp that!)

AND assume we all know we can find something to fit in the clicker. Lets look for a programming/setting/switch/fuse method. This way, SHOULD I CHOOSE to wear the seatbelt it will be unobstructed.

Oh, and since I know for some REASON THIS DISCUSSION will HAVE TO, even after all that, turn into a wear your seatbelt lecture, here's the facts:

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/811100.PDF

(Seatbelt use has gone up from 60% to 85% (Up 41.6%) since 1994.)

http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx

However, statistics show only 6.1% decrease in fatalities over the same period despite a 41.6% increase in habitual use. All this life savings also includes the war on drunk driving, anti-lock breaks coming standard, improved crash zones, and other crap.

So, I don't think they work. They also, are only needed 1 in ~10,000 trips, and are annoying 100% of the time. Sky diving is a dumb idea too but I'm gonna do it because the house cat breathes longer but the wildcat learns what it means to actually live!

Hey, you got no facts, just stories? Well that's nice.

Finally,

Once you familiarize yourself with the chains of bondage, you prepare your own limbs to wear them.” -Abraham Lincoln

I believe that. So step back I have the right not to wear it for religious concerns. I have that right because I just claimed it. You can think whatever, but at least I have facts, your just going off the common senseness of thinking that a belt should help. Plus, since you WANT to wear your belt, it costs you NOTHING to force others. I hope you drink coffee. That has some BAD chemicals, Lets ban that. That won't cost me nothing and I can feel better thinking I helped people all along denying them something worth dieing for - the right to choose.

Also, I think it has a sociological effect of you driving more dangerously, since you think the belt and bags will save you.

Even though I walk through the dark valley of death, because you are with me, I fear no harm. Your rod and your staff give me courage.

Perhaps, JUST MAYBE, objects that can go 100mph and weight tons will ALWAYS be dangerous. Just maybe, the only safe street is a street with no cars. Since I would rather run the risk, you live in the bubble always worried about silliness. We can create you a city in Lancaster County, PA that you can be safe right next to the Amish, they won't mind a ban on motor vehicles.

The average American makes 50,000 car trips in his/her lifetime. Based on this average, the odds of being killed in a car accident are 1 in 140.
source: Richard Wilson, Analyzing the Daily Risk of Life, Technology Review

Here look at all your odds for any reason to die:
http://politicalcalculations.blogspo...ing-again.html

So go tell all the hospitals that they have to reduce their morbidity rate for infections FIRST and BEFORE you tell me what I have to do.

Oh, and since TAXPAYERS pay NOTHING of the NATIONAL DEBT, it is all debt and inflation, you can shove that argument too. I am also in the HIGHEST tax bracket. So shove your money.

So please, if you know how answer. If you want to lecture, volunteer in your home town. Go to a school and speak about your stories. Call someone whom cares. DON'T POLLUTE THE FORUM.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
JDBeck23

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2SS/RS
LOL, wow, what a post! It would appear that you've been lectured about wearing your seatbelt.

While I see your point about the statistics, I think it's a little simplified to say that we're wearing our seatbelts more now, and yet not seeing a corresponding decrease in traffic fatalities. There's alot more variables in play.

You could make the same argument for the 15 airbag safety systems that new cars come with. Not going there.... Anyway!

I'd never heard that about a dodge vehicle being able to disable the chime via the ACC... im interested to see if something similar is true for our Camaros...

But just so you know, im keeping my chime, even if there is a way to disable it... guess I like how the cool aid tastes... and yes, I sky dive too, guess im just full of contradictions.

2010 2SS/RS CGM
American Racing Headers, Magnaflow axle back, Roto-Fab CAI, Audio Integrations Sub box, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine MRP-500 amp, Pro Clips iPhone Mount
Old 11-13-2009, 07:56 AM   #3
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Can't help it just gotta say this..... Remember people are just concerned about your well being and want to be helpful.

FYI Some insureance companies are starting to take in account if seat belts were in use at the time of an accident in decisions on to pay or not to pay....
Sorry if this offends you but you need to think of your family also, if you die wearing your seat belt your insurance company will pay, if you are not then your family May be left to pay the bills in the event of your death.

Oh you might as well remove your airbags also since they are useless without the seatbelts.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:44 AM   #4
josh1147
Delivered 29June09

Drives: Early Order Camaro

Subscribed and interested if you ever get your answer. I respect your right to decide whether or not to wear a seatbelt. It seems like you understand the situation and the consequences.

Best of luck
Old 11-13-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
Skyblu

Drives: 2010 Aqua blue 2SS/RS M6
I don't know how to disable the chime but if all else fails do what alot of the cops do, get a seat belt extender from the parts store and plug it in to the seat belt and leave it there, the car thinks you are wearing one including if you get in an accident and the black box records whether or not you had your belt on and the dinger will stop! I'm with you, I do not wear a seat belt, never have never will, don't like it hate feeling tied down and it actually restricts me being able to move freely in my seat to look for cars changing lanes,backing up etc. I think it's wrong to tell me I HAVE to wear a seat belt but when I ride my Harley I DON"T have to wear a helmet, makes no sense to me, I am properly insured and if I splat myself it should be my choice, that's what I pay good money every month for insurance!
Old 11-13-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
WOW.. What a post...

I feel that your posting could be for naught though. My opinion notwithstanding the seatbelt chime plays through the car's speakers, and is controlled by the BCM or ECM so theres no fuse to pull or jump or whatever. BUT seatbelt sensors work on a very basic system of a circuit being completed when the buckle is inserted. SO if you pull your drivers seat and open up the buckle you can likely fish out the two wires, connect them, and voila, your chime is gone. You will also lose the idiot light with that, no way around it.

That said I am sure if someone could crack the coding in the BCM or ECM for it it could be done that way too, but I doubt that is high on anyones priority list.

Finally a quick thought just because you felt the need to post a masive diatribe justifying yourself. I laugh at these seatbelt posts and all the people who justify their opinion one way or another, and even cite death statistics, or cite a friend of a friend who got trapped in the car by the seatbelt when they crashed into a ravine (how the **** often does that happen???). I laugh because as a firefighter its people like you who we are picking chunks of your face out of the dashboard/steering wheel from a minor accident, or stabalizing your neck cause the airbag beat the crap out of you. Theres no statistics for that, and more than 90% of auto accidents are NOT fatal. Nope you're not dead, but your life is irreversably changed due to a MINOR accident because of "your choice". There but for the grace of God go I... and I make sure to wear my seatbelt when I am driving you to the hospital.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Old 11-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #7
Skyblu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
WOW.. What a post...

I feel that your posting could be for naught though. My opinion notwithstanding the seatbelt chime plays through the car's speakers, and is controlled by the BCM or ECM so theres no fuse to pull or jump or whatever. BUT seatbelt sensors work on a very basic system of a circuit being completed when the buckle is inserted. SO if you pull your drivers seat and open up the buckle you can likely fish out the two wires, connect them, and voila, your chime is gone. You will also lose the idiot light with that, no way around it.

That said I am sure if someone could crack the coding in the BCM or ECM for it it could be done that way too, but I doubt that is high on anyones priority list.

Finally a quick thought just because you felt the need to post a masive diatribe justifying yourself. I laugh at these seatbelt posts and all the people who justify their opinion one way or another, and even cite death statistics, or cite a friend of a friend who got trapped in the car by the seatbelt when they crashed into a ravine (how the **** often does that happen???). I laugh because as a firefighter its people like you who we are picking chunks of your face out of the dashboard/steering wheel from a minor accident, or stabalizing your neck cause the airbag beat the crap out of you. Theres no statistics for that, and more than 90% of auto accidents are NOT fatal. Nope you're not dead, but your life is irreversably changed due to a MINOR accident because of "your choice". There but for the grace of God go I... and I make sure to wear my seatbelt when I am driving you to the hospital.
As you should because that is your job to pry us out of cars and get us to the hospital, if it weren't for people getting in accidents you wouldn't have a job. But seriously thank you for the thought.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
seatbelts rule!
Old 11-13-2009, 11:42 AM   #9
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
Snap your belt`s or snap your neck, make`s no difference to me, your choice, not for me to judge.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I'm intrigued at your insistance to please not lecture you about seatbelts...do you not want to know, or just continue ignoring all the evidence? I'd like to personally thank all the knuckleheads out there who feel they don't need to wear a seatbelt, etc. It's folks like you who cause my insurance rates to go up every year, and politicians to enact stupid common-sense laws....

Meh....anyways, the easiest way to disable the audible ding is to:

Wear your seatbelt!!!
Old 11-13-2009, 12:04 PM   #11
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyblu View Post
As you should because that is your job to pry us out of cars and get us to the hospital, if it weren't for people getting in accidents you wouldn't have a job. But seriously thank you for the thought.
Ohh boy I love the complete and utter ignorance dripping from this response. I'll keep it short out of respect to the OP, but your reply is whats wrong with America today. Why should I care someone else will take care of it, someone else will save my ass if I do something stupid. Nobody wants to take responsibility for their actions, because they expect someone else to do it for them. Man I would love to see what would happen to you if we left you in the woods alone for a month with nothing but the clothes on your back and a swiss army knife.

Old 11-13-2009, 12:07 PM   #12
Skyblu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader View Post
Ohh boy I love the complete and utter ignorance dripping from this response. I'll keep it short out of respect to the OP, but your reply is whats wrong with America today. Why should I care someone else will take care of it, someone else will save my ass if I do something stupid. Nobody wants to take responsibility for their actions, because they expect someone else to do it for them. Man I would love to see what would happen to you if we left you in the woods alone for a month with nothing but the clothes on your back and a swiss army knife.
YOu don't want to know.......anyway this site is about opinions, I gave mine you gave yours end of story right?
Old 11-14-2009, 05:01 AM   #13
Temper

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Wow that just DID NOT WORK. I knew it wouldn't why is that?

No, if you have a 40% increase in seatbelt use, and suposedly 60% of people killed are not wearing seatbelts ( http://www.car-accidents.com/pages/seat_belts.html ), then you should have a substantial life savings. That is IF seatbelts save lives or not wearing it kills. I took statistics, and a major control variable change should effect your population if it is actually a control variable. If you want to keep your chime that's great for you. I want mine gone. I would even accept one when the car turns on, but this crap of an annoy function to try to ANNOY you into doing it makes me resist it 1000x more. The whole idea just pisses me off.

Insurance companies deciding their liability based on seatbelt use is a CLEAR determinate whom is behind the NATIONAL PUSH for seatbelts and the motive for doing so. They just want another way to avoid paying. As soon as we get 100% forced seatbelt use I'm sure something else will be required, but for 30 years, 40,000 people die per year. The population hasn't grown that much. The NTSHA claims there are more cars on the road but that REQUIRES more people. Forcing more things to be licensed does not mean more things are driving around at any given time.

Are people so incapable of not telling others what to do? They even seem to claim the right to by your possible medical costs or their supposed insurance premium increases. In Fact, I went from a 2008 Dodge Avenger (230hp w/ AWD and air bags) to a 2010 Camaro 2SS (400HP) and my insurance fell $60/6 months. There are many things that effect driving. I know a guy who works 12-14 hrs a day and that's a driving risk. Do you tell him the same? Tell him his baby has to go hungry cause he might adversely effect someone. See if he cares what you think.

Economically, insurance companies RAISE prices by consumers who are not required to budget, which in turn increases insurance costs, which increases premiums. Insurance removes an active consumer thereby short-circuiting the free market and supply and demand by way of artificially reducing supply. Look at any market with insurance. For example, most health costs are increasing because insurance pays it, however, lasik, not paid for by insurance, is decreasing in cost. So don't blame my not wearing a seat belt on your costs. Not to mention crash zones quadruple repair costs.

So someone show me PROOF that seatbelts save lives. There is SO MUCH proof, then WHERE THE HELL IS IT? Sure, they are seemingly obvious life savers, but where is the proof? In any case, many things can save lives. Suppose your shot, and a flask prevents your death, do flasks save lives? I think we should require every adult to wear a flask. That way they are not so uptight and judgemental. They all know they are a drink away from alcoholism. Your just ASSUMING that seatbelts work, and looking at very loose numbers and inferring proof. With that, you are FORCING PEOPLE TO DO SOMETHING THEY DON'T WANT TO. That is the worst deed you can do with your life or power. Also, even with a seatbelt, you can be seriously hurt. Not to mention seatbelts fail as well. Maybe after slamming on your break you realize that a pipe is headed to spear your head, without a seatbelt you can lean out of the way. You all just act like your decisions are more superior that others.

So for an IDEA you have no problem FORCING another person to do something? I think that is the real tragedy. I can surely handle the reality of living as a paraplegic, my friend is one and had his seatbelt on, but under no circumstance was I ever prepared for my country to turn into pansy fascist pigs that would rather give up everything worth living for safety. (BTW. I do like the Fly at your Own Risk Airlines Idea, I would gladly accept large losses in life to not have to take off my damn shoes in the Airport. Not that ANY OF THAT CRAP HELPS!)

Where does this trend end?

I'm fat, so can't eat the food I want? Or, I have high blood pressure, so I can't eat other foods?
My genes are bad, maybe I shouldn't have made it to birth?
My friend has a retarded child, maybe we should euthanize her to save excess costs?
Maybe we can take cues from Demolition Man, the movie, and outlaw: sex, salt, pepper, cussing, and anything else "bad"

Whatever, it is AMAZING you can't just ask how to do something with a car. Gotta be lectured about what you should and should not do, like I care what ANY of you have to say, unless one of you says how to turn off the chime. Now the thread is ruined. For you freakin opinion in the electronics section of this forum.

If I loose my job are you going to help me pay my rent? If I do get hurt are you going to help me? NO - SO SHOVE IT. Really, you don't care about me and I don't care about you so mind your own shit.

Also, I want to remind people that we do NOT live in a democracy. We live in a REPUBLIC, see:

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands: one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

A democracy is majority rule. A republic is minority rule or the individual's rights rule or you are the king of your own life. Look it up. Now take into account that the founding fathers would say your dead wrong and would likely SHOOT YOU for attempting to force them to wear a seatbelt, or anything else.

So I guess we can close the thread (and delete?) anytime now...

Oh, if you wondering, YES I AM ON THE DRUNK DRIVERS SIDE.

There is no proof that up to even a .16 BAC CAUSES AN ACCIDENT! Again, look at FARS and look at drinking statistics. No proof. You just get to persecute the drunk driver cause he was "****ed up" so he "caused it". It makes you FEEL good your ridding the world of danger and "bad people". The road to hell is paved in good intentions.

As well as:

The felon with firearms (machine guns even) supporter's group. (also they should be allowed to vote. Only non-criminals actually follow the rules and every has the right to bear arms. AKA people whom are still criminals will still have a gun even if barred.)
The Drug Legalization Movement (drug war is the new prohibition - which is the most corruptive force on the planet.)
Remove the road laws/speed limits (learn how to drive)

I have a lot of respect for firefighters, so I am going to wear my seat belt, just once, for you and your profession.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #14
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Wow I would respond to your post but then this is a debate that would go on forever and we would all get worked up and nobody is changing anyone's mind.

The only thing that I will point out is that seatbelts and anything related to them is about as polarizing as politics, religion, helmet laws, gun laws, abortion, etc. I'm not sure why you believed that pre-justifying yourself would help, but on the internet here you have world wide opinions and everyone screaming to make their mark it just isn't gonna work. So yes if you ask a question on this topic, no matter what, everyone and their mother is going to get riled up no matter how you present it, thats just the way it is.

I appreciate your seatbelt use, even if it is only once.

Closed Thread