Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-01-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
Lawn Mower City Ordinance

Can you believe this, my neighbor is mowing his lawn with no grass catcher or deflector, the clippings and debris go flying out the side of his mower, hitting my camaro and me in my own driveway. I move my car into the garage immediately. I call the police to investigate is there is any city ordinance requiring a catcher or deflector. They stated it was city issue and not a law enforcement issue. So I emailed the City Manager and he had the city attorney send me a letter stating, I can file a property damage suit and sue him. And my children were outside when this happened and they stated, to take my children into the house when he is mowing his lawn.

My own property and my neighbor is flinging debris all over and the city isn't going to do a thing about it??? What would happen if a rock flew out and hit my children and injured or killed them? How can a court suit replace a human life??? I am very very upset with my neighbor and the city ordinances.
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:24 AM   #2
MannyC

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Are you serious?
MannyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:25 AM   #3
Neriah

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Did you try talking to your neighbor about it? He will either be an adult about it... or you can kick his ass.... either way you win
Full BMR bushings and suspension.
Neriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:41 AM   #4
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
I would talk to him and let him know he is liable to any damage to your car and ask him to put a deflector/catcher on the mower.... A reminder that he could seriously injure someone as well should be all it takes... document any damage and do it while its happening to show proof.. Then its court time and thats what its there for.. yes its a hassle and I would think all it would take is a calm conversation with the person and let him know what he is doing and that its wrong and causing damage.
CC Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
11BEE
11 BEE

Drives: 2011 LS2 RS & 2012 2SS RS 45th Vert
I would agree with CC Performance. You need to take it up directly with your neighbor. There is a point where there are just too many laws and ordinances. Every stupid thing that every person does cannot have a law. Government is already big enough, so now we need to start dealing with one another and talking to each other. When we as a people take back our relationships, the world becomes a better place.

Stepping off my soap box now.

11Bee and I♥My45th
11BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:26 AM   #6
getarz4u15ster

Drives: Camaro RJT 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11BEE View Post
I would agree with CC Performance. You need to take it up directly with your neighbor. There is a point where there are just too many laws and ordinances. Every stupid thing that every person does cannot have a law. Government is already big enough, so now we need to start dealing with one another and talking to each other. When we as a people take back our relationships, the world becomes a better place.

Stepping off my soap box now.
So true!! Go over tell the neighbor that your going to hand your kid a sling shot and start shooting ball bearing at him from the window while he's cutting the grass, and see if likes it... However that' not teaching your kids good principles.. but it'll still make you feel better, and laugh..
Manley Race Valves
Comp Chromoly push-rods
Ported T/B
DT Headers, JBA H/F Catted mid pipes
Magna Flow Comp series exhaust w/ Xpipe
Comp Custom grind Cam
Tune and Machine work done by MPC
CAI Intake
getarz4u15ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
Your neighbor sounds like an inconsiderate idiot.
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:53 AM   #8
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
Move to Scottsdale, it is an ordinance there among many other things.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:32 PM   #9
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
With a bagger on..

Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #10
=Stephens=

Drives: 2011 LS
I sent him a "concerned neighbor anynymous" letter. Maybe he doesn't think he is doing anything wrong. But he just moved in feb, and hopefully he gets the point. I dont want him to know its me, next thing I know, my yard is on fire. I was very polite and professional in my letter.
=Stephens= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #11
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
I think you should have just talked to him man, that's step one as far as I'm concerned. If he doesn't comply and there is nothing you can do about it, put up a fence.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #12
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
Agreed...talking to him politely would do the trick.

Conversations with people don't always need to be "in your face" and angry. If the conversation devolves towards incivility, then you can go the legal route.

I would have simply gone to him, let him know that the mower was flinging rocks at your car, and elsewhere. Then explain that he may have been unaware, but could he please be careful about that in the future by putting on a bagger or letting you know to move your car before he mows in the future.

Work with him on it, and not only do you get a friendly neighbor, but you don't get the hassle of dealing with a pissed off neighbor.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #13
Cbrenthus

Drives: 2011 VR 1SS
Talk to him nicely at first, as you said, maybe he just doesn't know. However, the fact that he would do such a thing in the first place makes me think he is probably a jerk. However, start nice, talk very politely. If it goes south, send a certified return reciept signature letter explaining the damages so far and politely asking him to stop. Keep a copy of the letter and return receipt, I'm not a lawyer so maybe I don't know but my limited experience says judges love documentation and paper trails. Pictures and video evidence are good as well.
Cbrenthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #14
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarowguy View Post
Your neighbor sounds like an inconsiderate idiot.
Yes and no.....allow me to elaborate.

I mow my lawn, fertilize it, edge it, blow the driveway off when all done...I apply weed killer. It's the best looking lawn on my block. Sometimes I bag, mostly I mulch.

My neighbors to either side wait until their grass gets the height of a hayfield, mow and there are huge clumps of grass on MY lawn that eventually browns out. As well, the weeds are atrocious and they don't water. As well, my one neighbor and his guests drive across their lawn crossing over 6 feet of my well kept grass to access my driveway...essentially lazyness, making a horseshoe drive...In the process, the load has cracked 3 slabs directly correlated with the front of their house....and the access. The only slabs cracked out of 13 are the 3 they drive over. Would you be pissed? what would you do? Piss and moan? As well, this neighbor has an awesome inground pool in the backyard...and the grass grows 8", the weeds are rampant...looks like a damn pig stye.

What I am trying to relate that common courtesy to you may not be common to them. Just because they don't keep their lawn up to my standards doesn't make them bad people, perhaps bad neighbors with no common decency, but not bad people. The grass issue is a personal preference. Perhaps they don't know how to properly maintain their yard or perhaps they just don't care...none of my business. What is an issue is disrespecting my property and MY hard work (and both neighbors have commented on my lawn) by driving on my grass AND using my driveway and damaging it.

Some people see cars as transportation and not a crown jewel or a Monet painting. I see your neighbor not disrespecting you, but perhaps sees your car as a car. Disrespectful? perhaps, but it lies on perception.

By calling the police without talking to your neighbor first to express your concerns was the worst thing you could have done IMO. Is this a saftey issue or is this a malicious neighbor who blew grass clippings on my car issue and the rocks flying out and hitting your kids was an afterthought?

I spoke to my neighbor 2 summers ago after the damage to my driveway and grass. He had 50 cars at his house for a family reunion. He assured me it wouldn't happen again. Well, it did last year and guess what? I went over to his house AGAIN and was upset. Well, his wife blew me off and a few other people that were there had some choice words for me. What did I do? I then called the police to look at damage to my driveway and grass, made a report and an investigator was at my house the next day within 12 hours. A few days after this second talk, both my neighbor and his wife came over and apologized for the oversight and they put up a fence...and offered to pay for the driveway damages 100%. As well, the 3 people who didn't live there and had words also apologized to me. All is well and we are still cool. They werent afraid of any criminal filing or civil lawsuit as the reason for the apology...They know I am not that type of person. Yes, I called the police because I had $3900 in damages. The police were called just in case the matter went sour.

You want to know the kicker in this entire matter? I have a great relationship with the neighbor who damaged my lawn/concrete and I am a police officer. If a person can't respect a neighbor as a neighbor that he is cool with that is an officer, that shows complete disrespect...not that me being the police has any bearing on courtesy and respect to any neighbor.

The difference between a police matter and a civil matter is intent. Since I already spoke to my neighbor and he assured me the problem would cease, and it didn't, it showed "reckless abandon" thus "criminal intent". When one calls the police without first talking to a neighbor relating that their actions may cause damage to property or injure kids, you have a civil matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =Stephens= View Post
My own property and my neighbor is flinging debris all over and the city isn't going to do a thing about it??? What would happen if a rock flew out and hit my children and injured or killed them? How can a court suit replace a human life??? I am very very upset with my neighbor and the city ordinances.
This is NOT an issue for the city, lack of codes or ordinance or your neighbors expressed issue...this is on YOU..As I specified earlier, you have a reasonable expectation to inform someone that their actions are questionable, unsafe or reckless. It is NOT against any law to mow grass without a catcher. And it is a saftey issue with no deflector...not criminal. Unless people know what upsets or concerns you, how are they to know?
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote