Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-05-2008, 12:28 PM   #15
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
yup i think those are them

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 09:24 PM   #16
stevenm357

Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
the l76 does have like 398 ft pounds of torque. that makes a biiiiig difference. most cars do come out with more HP than torque from what i've seen. I can't wait to drive a manual G6.. hell i might end up with one.. but then i'll have a probelm getting a camaro unless i sell or trade up .

2001 Corvette
Heads,Big cam, 4:11, Custom Exhaust, MGW Shifter Baer Eradispeed +2 2 pieces rotors, Hotchkiss swaybars. and a few other little things.

1998 Trans Am A4 ( was STS turbo until the turbo and oil pump died)

2000 WS6 Trans AM under the knife ( sadly turned into long term project.
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:18 PM   #17
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Hey, does anybody have a subscription to GM high tech performance magazine?
IF so...I just read something interesting in an LS9 blog on their site:

Quote:
Pick up the April 2008 issue of GMHTP for an in-depth look at this new engine--as well as a sneak-peek at another high-horsepower GM mill coming down the pike!
Sooooooooooooooooooo - would somebody kindly let us know what the deal is in this magical April issue? I don't have a subscription to them, sadly...But I'll be paying attention when April comes!
Old 01-05-2008, 11:54 PM   #18
jmsjags

Drives: '02 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Hey, does anybody have a subscription to GM high tech performance magazine?
IF so...I just read something interesting in an LS9 blog on their site:

Sooooooooooooooooooo - would somebody kindly let us know what the deal is in this magical April issue? I don't have a subscription to them, sadly...But I'll be paying attention when April comes!
I think they're talking about the new Gen V engine but I might be mistaken.
jmsjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:59 PM   #19
Mr. Wyndham

That's the first thing that crossed my mind. So far, only Wards has said anything about it, I think. If it makes it into GMhightech.......but I'm not holding my breath on those coming out so soon already - I'm just hoping against hope really, really, hard:
<= me...hoping against hope
Old 01-06-2008, 01:41 AM   #20
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Yeah, everyone is making much ado about the end of the Northstar program, but the possibilities of the new corporate Gen V plants are exciting enough to make up for that. I've faced the fact that future demand for V8s will probably be low enough to justify one corporate V8 family, but if that family just kills everything else, you won't see me complaining.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:57 AM   #21
jmsjags

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Yeah, everyone is making much ado about the end of the Northstar program, but the possibilities of the new corporate Gen V plants are exciting enough to make up for that. I've faced the fact that future demand for V8s will probably be low enough to justify one corporate V8 family, but if that family just kills everything else, you won't see me complaining.
I've never understood why there needs to be more than one or two different v8s anyway. Just use one v8 for the trucks and one for the cars. If you want different horsepower for different models of cars, you can just tune the engines differently. By only having 1 engine that can be used in all cars, you would save a lot on manufacturing costs.

Does anyone know why we need multiple versions of the same engine?
Old 01-06-2008, 03:13 AM   #22
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
C'mon Dragon...you know I subscribe! I just got my issues of Car Craft and Chevy Hi Performance yesterday...so GMHTP should be following along soon! I'll post it up when I get it. If someone else gets it before me, feel free to do some typing. Thanks.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:11 PM   #23
Mr. Wyndham

TAG - I was just reminding you....yeah - that's it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsjags View Post
I've never understood why there needs to be more than one or two different v8s anyway..................

........Does anyone know why we need multiple versions of the same engine?
Technically - that's what they do right now. It could be argued that there are only two V8's in GM's shop. Anything that says "Chevy Small block" or (currently) "Gen IV small block" share the exact same block. like LS2, and LS3 - same block; but different innards, airflow options, and tune. Then you've got the Northstar V8s. which are DOHC V8's...those are apparently being killed off along with their replacement program.

"Just use one v8 for the trucks and one for the cars. If you want different horsepower for different models of cars, you can just tune the engines differently."

If you were to take a basic small block: LS-nothing. and just see how much you could tune it's computer (that's what I'm assuming you're saying)...you might have a threshold of, what...100hp if you're lucky? +50, and -50. Like I said - in basic 'shape'; Something like the L76 car engine, and LS3 share the exact same block. They just have different CR's, airflows, and minor tune.
And it could be argued that the engines in cars and trucks are even the same. Take L76 for example. The only distinguishing differences btw the truck version and the car version is an oil pan, and an intake manifold to allow the car engine to fit under the hood.
So - essencially - there's only one V8 GM modifies for most it's applications.
Well, 2. Cadillac gets exclusive rights to the Northstar.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:48 AM   #24
jmsjags

Quote:
Technically - that's what they do right now. It could be argued that there are only two V8's in GM's shop. Anything that says "Chevy Small block" or (currently) "Gen IV small block" share the exact same block. like LS2, and LS3 - same block; but different innards, airflow options, and tune. Then you've got the Northstar V8s. which are DOHC V8's...those are apparently being killed off along with their replacement program.

If you were to take a basic small block: LS-nothing. and just see how much you could tune it's computer (that's what I'm assuming you're saying)...you might have a threshold of, what...100hp if you're lucky? +50, and -50. Like I said - in basic 'shape'; Something like the L76 car engine, and LS3 share the exact same block. They just have different CR's, airflows, and minor tune.
And it could be argued that the engines in cars and trucks are even the same. Take L76 for example. The only distinguishing differences btw the truck version and the car version is an oil pan, and an intake manifold to allow the car engine to fit under the hood.
Oh that makes sense. Thanks for clearing everything up!
Old 01-08-2008, 09:23 PM   #25
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
TAG - I was just reminding you....yeah - that's it.

"Just use one v8 for the trucks and one for the cars. If you want different horsepower for different models of cars, you can just tune the engines differently."

That's spot-on.

The only thing to add to this is that modifying an engine goes the same way. You can take any motor and, for instance, create better airflow and carefully retune it to add horsepower. Regardless of what motor goes into the Camaro, you can always make it better, so people shouldn't worry so much about which motor GM will drop under the hood. All we need to know is that it will be competitive if not the best in its class and that if we want more we will certainly find ways to make it better.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:47 PM   #26
mprhead5

Drives: 04 MAzdaspeed miata 250whp
considering the hp levels predicted for the next mustang and the scampish 340 for the super heavy challenger I'm sure the camaro will be on top no problem

current Ride: 04 Mazdaspeed MX-5 250whp 13.3 1/4m
mprhead5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:07 AM   #27
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprhead5 View Post
considering the hp levels predicted for the next mustang and the scampish 340 for the super heavy challenger I'm sure the camaro will be on top no problem
Speculation Alert

Thats for the R/T I think, but I've heard that they are trying to up the power on that engine. The SRT8 has 425 hp, but that will just give it a tick under 10lbs/hp. And thats as good as a 'lightweight' Camaro (3500 lbs or less) with an L76. Thats pretty good considering that a Camaro with the L76 would cost about 25% less than the Challenger SRT8. Unless the L76 is the top V8 in the camaro
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote