Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
SSpade22

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (Twin Turno 418)
Chevy Big Block in 2010 camaro?

I have been looking into the chevy big block forged engines. I wanna get rid of my L99 and drop in something beast.. 502+. Does anyone know what will fit, I know there is tons of space left under my hood.
Power-gilde transmision
LSA WCCH Ported Heads 1400hp Axle Shafts DSS
FORE Dual pump FIC 2000cc Injectors
Twin Garrett 53s
SSpade22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #2
DarkFox1

Drives: 2012 2SS A6
Perhaps I'm wrong, but aren't all the LSx engines the same physical size?

What are you putting down with the STS twin kit?

HPS put down ~735 on the stock 6.2L LS3.. on a single front mount turbo..just sayin.

not sure what advantage you're trying to get out of a larger displacement engine when you can have ~1000whp pretty easy out of the stock displacement+ a little more (stroked) if you go forged.
DarkFox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #3
SSpade22

With the sts kit km getting aroun 550 to the wheel, and that's with the methanol injection kit. I have been told that the Limit of the stock internals of the L99 is around 600hp. So I figured I could drop in an engine that has forged internals and is stock 550hp, that plus my turbos I should be able to get a pretty good gain and because of the forged internals boost it much higher. But I'm no expert.
Power-gilde transmision
Twin Garrett 53s
Old 05-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpade22 View Post
With the sts kit km getting aroun 550 to the wheel, and that's with the methanol injection kit. I have been told that the Limit of the stock internals of the L99 is around 600hp. So I figured I could drop in an engine that has forged internals and is stock 550hp, that plus my turbos I should be able to get a pretty good gain and because of the forged internals boost it much higher. But I'm no expert.
Hope you got tons of $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

A LSx block and C5R block will start you at 427 CI with room to grow. The block alone is the price of many forged short blocks.
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
DarkFox1

Yea, a forged LS3 bottom end should be able to handle it.

I'd talk to Chris at Hunters Performance about their turbo kits and whats required for them. They have a front mount kit for singles and twins and have put some great numbers down in LS3 cars with less than 11 psi.

They can build you a forged motor, you can also get one made to order from texas-speed.

I mean you can get a larger displacement motor too, any GEN IV LSx block should fit and work just fine, but I don't know that it's required?

http://www.texas-speed.com/

http://www.huntersperformancesolutions.com/

I've heard the STS kits tend to be on the weak side. I've almost never heard any good things about them.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
SSpade22

Yes the StS kit is pretty weak, not to mention the amount of lag and I have had to replace the oil pumps multiple times. So I am all for a big single turbo front mounted. Here's the thing though, I have been told by my performance shop that in order to forge my engine it would be about 10,000. A 502 big block with forged internals already in it is only 15,000. So I guess I figured 5g's difference for a bigger/new engine wasn't to bad. Plus I think dropping an engin in vs. rebuilding it will be less on the labor side.
Power-gilde transmision
Twin Garrett 53s
Old 05-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #7
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpade22 View Post
I'm running a forged stroked LS3 427, with twins.. and the numbers in my sig are on a conservative tune only running 12 degrees of timing and ~ 11 lbs of boost... With the new boost controller, and a progressive shot of nitrous, I'll be north of 1000 RWHP and more torque than that in the next few weeks...

There are companies out there that can build you an LS based motor, wet sleeved to about any cubes you want... bare in mind with the additional power comes additional requirements to support it... It adds up quickly...

PM me if you want or need more information... I'm also not an expert by any means but I've learned a lot through my build process...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Ya you can make +500 cubes with an LS platform so no need to do a dramatic conversion to the old big block to get that displacement.

Not really sure why you would want to go that big though, the right turbo on a stout 416, 418 or 427 will give you more power then you can really handle..... Thats not a bad thing though!!!

I am suprised your only putting down 550 with your set up, I would expect much more with a TT set up.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
Synner

Drives: cars
You do realize a big block is a completely different engine family right? You don't "just drop it in". It takes a whole new accessory drive, engine management system, custom mounts, etc. You also don't just throw turbos at a motor meant for n/a, forged or not, if you want it to last a long time under abuse. You need to have a long talk with your shop about your plans.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
ohyeahjay

Drives: 2022 Camaro LT1
seen this a couple of years ago
Attached Images

Old 05-30-2012, 06:33 PM   #11
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
I'm running a forged stroked LS3 427, with twins.. and the numbers in my sig are on a conservative tune only running 12 degrees of timing and ~ 11 lbs of boost... With the new boost controller, and a progressive shot of nitrous, I'll be north of 1000 RWHP and more torque than that in the next few weeks...

There are companies out there that can build you an LS based motor, wet sleeved to about any cubes you want... bare in mind with the additional power comes additional requirements to support it... It adds up quickly...

PM me if you want or need more information... I'm also not an expert by any means but I've learned a lot through my build process...
WOW!

Old 05-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #12
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
You do realize a big block is a completely different engine family right? You don't "just drop it in". It takes a whole new accessory drive, engine management system, custom mounts, etc. You also don't just throw turbos at a motor meant for n/a, forged or not, if you want it to last a long time under abuse. You need to have a long talk with your shop about your plans.
I wish we could give rep points or something because you are the first person that actually answered the OP's question.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #13
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeahjay View Post
seen this a couple of years ago
Holy $h!t. What is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post

11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:32 PM   #14
DarkFox1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGUNNER View Post
Holy $h!t. What is that?

that's.. a LOT of displacement.

Yea man if you're willing to drop $15g on this project you can EASILY get the power you want I'd say. Give TSP a call on their engine builds, dunno if your local rod shop will drop in someone else's engine, but TSP has great prices for the parts and a very knowledgeable and PATIENT staff. (I should know.. I've bugged them to "pick their brains" more than I've bought. )