Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-20-2022, 11:55 AM   #1
WVracer

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3 M6 (Sold)
Catch Can has a surprising amount of milk

So I just bought this car not too long ago. LS3/M6 (72k miles on it) It supposedly has a TSP F-35 cam (from word of mouth of seller, I plan to pull the cam and verify later) and apparently it used to have a edelbrock supercharger that has since been removed that he didn’t mention and maybe didn’t know about since he was the second owner. I learned based off the tune that came in the car since it still had the edelbrock map in the tune. I’m also suspecting they were pushing enough boost to push oil out the rear main since the back of the oil pan was covered when I got it but it’s not currently leaking.

I’ve been slowly getting the tuning fixed and it runs a lot better. I installed a Elite Engineering catch can since I seen lots of blow by in the intake and changed all the fluids (oil, trans, diff, brake, etc).. I’ve since driven the car about 600-1000 miles or so. Today I opened the catch can to see this much oil. I’m guessing it’s milky from condensation, but it’s the amount that actually bothers me. Not only that but I’m down halfway on the dipstick which I could’ve swore was completely full when I changed it. So it’s not all disappearing through blow-by. I’ve heard of LS’s eating oil like that but I’ve never seen one actually do it. I guess I’m going to have to keep an eye on that and hope I made a mistake reading the stick when I first filled it. Might have to do a leak down test and go through all the valve seals. I don’t see oil in the exhaust plume but it’s cold here so there is too much condensation to really tell. Either way, I guess it’s nice that milk didn’t make it back into the engine. A testament to always be in-tune with your car.

Name:  5C759FA1-7492-43E3-80F3-791DDB169EEB.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  78.1 KB
2011 IOM 2SS/RS LS3 M6- Injen CAI, TSP 1 7/8” headers, PTB, Hurst short throw, Corsa catback exhaust, 20" TSW Nurburgrings, BMR lower control arms, BMR tunnel brace, Hotchkis lowering springs. 3660lbs. Tuned by me (sold)

2010 RJT 1SS/RS LS3 M6- CAI, TSP 2” headers, TSP F-35 cam, PTB, Hurst short throw, Dronemaster catback, BMR lowering springs, Kirkey seats, 20”/18” Weld Belmonts, 3550lbs.
WVracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:09 PM   #2
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVracer View Post
So I just bought this car not too long ago. LS3/M6 (72k miles on it) It supposedly has a TSP F-35 cam (from word of mouth of seller, I plan to pull the cam and verify later) and apparently it used to have a edelbrock supercharger that has since been removed that he didn’t mention and maybe didn’t know about since he was the second owner. I learned based off the tune that came in the car since it still had the edelbrock map in the tune. I’m also suspecting they were pushing enough boost to push oil out the rear main since the back of the oil pan was covered when I got it but it’s not currently leaking.

I’ve been slowly getting the tuning fixed and it runs a lot better. I installed a Elite Engineering catch can since I seen lots of blow by in the intake and changed all the fluids (oil, trans, diff, brake, etc).. I’ve since driven the car about 600-1000 miles or so. Today I opened the catch can to see this much oil. I’m guessing it’s milky from condensation, but it’s the amount that actually bothers me. Not only that but I’m down halfway on the dipstick which I could’ve swore was completely full when I changed it. So it’s not all disappearing through blow-by. I’ve heard of LS’s eating oil like that but I’ve never seen one actually do it. I guess I’m going to have to keep an eye on that and hope I made a mistake reading the stick when I first filled it. Might have to do a leak down test and go through all the valve seals. I don’t see oil in the exhaust plume but it’s cold here so there is too much condensation to really tell. Either way, I guess it’s nice that milk didn’t make it back into the engine. A testament to always be in-tune with your car.

Attachment 1089765
If the engine is OK, this emulsion is formed due to short runs, when the engine is not enough to warm up and moisture from the oil is not enough to evaporate.

I would thoroughly clean everything and perform a few test runs, when the car and especially the oil warm up sufficiently.
Then I would check it again.

K&N CAI, Stainless Power longtubes, high flow cats, modified Ragazzon High Performance axle back, Soler Performance ported throttle body, Soler Performance throttle controller, RAM clutch adjuster, modified LS7 clutch kit, Tick Performance billet bearing support, Tick Performance remote bleeder, separate clutch reservoir, BMR trailing arms, BMR toe rods, Pedders Suspension cradle bushing inserts, Control Arm Bushings, Strut tower brace, oil catch can, Hurst T-handle shifter, 20mm wheel spacers, DBA brakes, QTP Cutouts, Dynosteve tune.
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:17 PM   #3
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
Otherwise, the amount of oil catched over a given distance is about the same.

Name:  WP_20171120_004.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  168.9 KB

K&N CAI, Stainless Power longtubes, high flow cats, modified Ragazzon High Performance axle back, Soler Performance ported throttle body, Soler Performance throttle controller, RAM clutch adjuster, modified LS7 clutch kit, Tick Performance billet bearing support, Tick Performance remote bleeder, separate clutch reservoir, BMR trailing arms, BMR toe rods, Pedders Suspension cradle bushing inserts, Control Arm Bushings, Strut tower brace, oil catch can, Hurst T-handle shifter, 20mm wheel spacers, DBA brakes, QTP Cutouts, Dynosteve tune.
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote