Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
cbass

Drives: .
Locked out of First sometimes Fifth Gear

Anyone has issues shifting into first gear? There are times that I am unable to put it into first gear and sometimes fifth. I will have to put it into another gear like third before it goes into first.

Anyone else experience this? The car only has 3K something miles on it. Is it time to take it to the dealership?
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
From moving; You need to match Rev especially in first. blip the gaz pedal first

From Stop, Are you pressing the clutch all the way down?

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
cbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikamaro View Post
From moving; You need to match Rev especially in first. blip the gaz pedal first

From Stop, Are you pressing the clutch all the way down?
From stop. Yes. Clutch is all the way down. I even put it back in neutral, release clutch, then put it all the way back down and try to put into first and still sometimes get locked out.

Seems to shift much better into first once the car is warmed up, but that takes some time and first gear is kind of useful.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
Anyone else experience this? The car only has 3K something miles on it. Is it time to take it to the dealership?
No problems shifting mine. Time to bring your baby to the dealer. Hopefully they will be able to duplicate the issue.
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #5
Stecky

Drives: 0000
Somtime I am having the same, but only when the outside air temp is in the 40's.
Is it cold?
Stecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
Stecky

Drives: 0000
I had a similar issue with a new ford one time.
They claimed the Blocker were tight when it was new.
I could not get it in third, but if i pushed it toward 4th first then to 3rd it went in fine.
That did eventuly go away after 10k or so.
I have 117k on that and it is still going.
Stecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
If you can't put it in first from a stop you should probably take it in. Mine shifts like crap when it's cold (kind of crunches going into 2nd sometimes 3rd) but I can alway get it in every gear. What have the temps been where your at?
Old 11-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
cbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stecky View Post
Somtime I am having the same, but only when the outside air temp is in the 40's.
Is it cold?
It's colder, but I live in Phoenix so not cold by any means. We're talking dipping down to maybe the 60's right now.

Problem is that it seemed to go into gear better when new and as miles started adding on it's having issues.

I put it in reverse when I park. One day I pulled it out of reverse as I let the car warm up so I wouldn't have to hold the clutch in and afterward it wouldn't go back in easily.

I pushed it in and it somewhat engaged, but not fully. In fact when I tried to back up the gear popped out. After the third or fourth try I was finally able to get full engagement and back out of the garage.

Sounds like dealership time.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
cbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
If you can't put it in first from a stop you should probably take it in. Mine shifts like crap when it's cold (kind of crunches going into 2nd sometimes 3rd) but I can alway get it in every gear. What have the temps been where your at?
The transmission in general is not a great shifting transmission. It's very notchy. However, when it goes from notchy to not engaging that's a problem. There is only so much force i'm willing to put in. I don't want to try to slam/force it in.

Sounds like it's time to take it in and have then diagnose it.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbass View Post
Anyone has issues shifting into first gear? There are times that I am unable to put it into first gear and sometimes fifth. I will have to put it into another gear like third before it goes into first.

cbass,

Sincere apologies to hear about your transmission concerns. Any frustration this creates is certainly understandable. While you're seeking community opinions and responses, feel free to message us privately and I'd be more than willing to exhaust my options to potentially assist you, especially involving the dealer.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #11
VOGGS-LS3-1LE
Angry by Nature

Drives: 13' Camaro 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP 1 of 76
Sounds like a clutch not fulling releasing

2013 CHEVROLET CAMARO 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP
1 OF 76
Roto Fab CAI
1LE BADGES
VOGGS-LS3-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
VOGGS-LS3-1LE
Angry by Nature

Drives: 13' Camaro 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP 1 of 76
Exclamation

Mine is funny with temps 55ish and lower when cold, once warmed up it's like butter.

2013 CHEVROLET CAMARO 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP
1 OF 76
Roto Fab CAI
1LE BADGES
VOGGS-LS3-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #13
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
I would definitely take it in for that. Sometimes I have trouble getting it into reverse but never 1st and 5th... I blame a lousy stock clutch. Will upgrade it at some point in the future.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:16 PM   #14
cbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
I would definitely take it in for that. Sometimes I have trouble getting it into reverse but never 1st and 5th... I blame a lousy stock clutch. Will upgrade it at some point in the future.

Oops. The title is a typo. I mean first and reverse. 5th hasn't been an issue. Today the car shifted great. Zero issues. However, today was also a warmer day and the car is getting driven regularly. We shall see.